Ian's TX/CBR500A Yamahonda whatever

thats a good un i found the 80 to be generally more handy as you can face and turn agressivly without changing the attack angle ..nothing like having an angry purple hot broke stressproof curlchip landing on yer lip is there ?
ewstur1.jpg

xb33bsa said:
im just waiting for the motogp live coming up soon :D

Haah "Rossi: I don't want to make Marquez crash and I did not kick him #MotoGP"

Nope that was no kick:
https://twitter.com/MotoGP/status/658191638481600512

xb33bsa said:
thats a good un i found the 80 to be generally more handy as you can face and turn agressivly without changing the attack angle ..nothing like having an angry purple hot broke stressproof curlchip landing on yer lip is there ?
ewstur1.jpg

I have permanent scars on my lips from hot chips landing on me. Also, in my ears, my scalp, my chest and few on my back. :(

Latest development: My lower triple is bent.. I mean like 10 degrees on the left side, and about 3-4 on the right. Whether it was like this wen I bought it, or it happened while I was swapping the stems, I don't know. So a "new" lower was ordered, described as straight, so let's hope so. Should be here by the end of the week.

Bearings have arrived! 3 days late, but they're here and they're right. Got all my measurements to make the new stem complete. Going to have to make a couple spacers and a small cup for the upper bearing to make sure trash and dirt don't get into it. Got the new lower triple ready to be retrofit with the new stem, and made sure it's not bent... So hopefully by the weekend (maybe Monday if I get lazy) I'll have the front end bolted up and ready to go. Only thing after that is to figure a way to swap the hub around to run left side caliper and then make spacers so the caliper lines up with the rotor. I can see the light!!

woooooo git r done
on the bent ebay stuff i would doubt that even 1 out of 10 that say straight forks dont even know how check them besides standing back with one eye closed
a friend of mine bought a nice set of forks asked the guy beforeshipping
oh no there straight so any way he contacts the seller says these are bent you said straight
seller is all like they probably got bent in shipping :eek: ;D

Well, thinking back to pressing the new stem into the cbr triple lower, it's very possible that I was the one that bent them. When I picked them up, there was no obvious bend, after I pressed the new stem it was pretty blatantly bent, so that's probably on me for not supporting the bottom correctly when it was in the press. Well see how the machining of the new one goes this week and next and I'll make sure everything is locked and immobile before I put pressure to it.

Jewbacca said:
Well, thinking back to pressing the new stem into the cbr triple lower, it's very possible that I was the one that bent them. When I picked them up, there was no obvious bend, after I pressed the new stem it was pretty blatantly bent, so that's probably on me for not supporting the bottom correctly when it was in the press. Well see how the machining of the new one goes this week and next and I'll make sure everything is locked and immobile before I put pressure to it.

i could see bending it without just exactly the right kind of support , i've ruinmed stuff in the press too

a powerfoll press is a handy ,amazing and scary tool
the one shop i worked in the brother had the hydraulics shop next door they used to bring me the bent catterpillar rods, nice guys ::) i tell you what yours eyes get real big when you see the amount of spring back in a 3-3/4" solid hardened cat rod and there is no gaurantee you can get 'em straight cause sometimes they just snap and go through the wall :eek:

i just now noticed you were turning the stem dogged on centers
most excellent form sir,bravo
i think the method is sometimes forgotten and lost on the home shop guys
and it is so handy for certain parts especially multiples of the same part

xb33bsa said:
i just now noticed you were turning the stem dogged on centers
most excellent form sir,bravo
i think the method is sometimes forgotten and lost on the home shop guys
and it is so handy for certain parts especially multiples of the same part

Indeed. We turn a lot of stuff between centers. Hydraulics ram rods especially. It's so much easier to turn bars in a 3 jaw on a dead center than to line up and dial in every time in a 4 jaw.

I didn't get any time to work on the stem today. Had a Toyota head come in emergency rush and had to mill it through half of lunch. Hopefully tomorrow I can get something done.

Updated pics forthcoming in the next day or two. Let's just say I'm about 20 minutes worth of lathe time from a completely functional and 100% custom front end conversion.

OK, so as promised, here's some pictures of the last few weeks of what I've been doing with the front end. Work has been slow, seeing as how the only time I can get any machining done is during lunch when I don't have anything else going on.

This was after I roughed the stem out and pressed it into the lower triple... It was at this point that I figured out that the hole for the stem was not bored in line with the upper triple tree, and I figured out how Yamaha put their front ends together. The original stem was not machined "in round", so what they do is bore the lower triple for the stem, press and weld the stem into it, then they cut the stem afterwards and bore the clamps at the same time with a machine that is obviously extremely expensive.

So to compensate for this, I undercut the bottom 1" of the new stem so that it just slips in/out of the lower stem. What I'll do is bolt everything on the forks and clamp them onto our welding table at work on some V-blocks to ensure it's dead straight and parallel. Then I'll clamp the triples to the forks with the stem screwed into the top and through the lower, then weld the bottom of the stem to the bottom of the lower triple. No sense to skimp on prep to make sure it's absolutely dead nuts straight.

This is more of a PSA about the importance of eye protection. I was cutting a piece of steel in our lathe, spinning it about 900RPM and it had quite the pile of stringy material building up on top of the tool. Usually, I run it so it chips off and doesn't come off in strings, but it was a finish cut so I was cutting slow on high speed. As it got closer to the chuck, I guess one of the jaws got a hold of part of it and it launched it right at my face (I normally don't stand right in front of the chuck, but bad timing caught me). Luckily, we always wear safety glasses, and I was wearing mine. The mass of stringed steel wasn't heavy, but launching at 900 RPM had plenty of momentum, and sharp edges. I got lucky. It bled for about an hour like this, but none of the cuts were very deep and it healed up in a couple days. My glasses had a fairly deep scratch right where my upper eyelid would have been on my left eye. I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me take a step back for a minute. So be careful out there, always, always, always wear eye protection, you may have 2, but it only takes a second to lose them both.. It also only takes a second to put on a pair of safety glasses. :)

Finally bit the bullet and welded in the stem I made to fit the CBR front end to the TX head tube. It was a tense few moments while I was welding it, worried about it torquing one way or the other, but it came out perfectly straight... and doesn't look too bad either.

I got antsy today and had to get some garage time in. Wife was reading, so I broke out the nylon abrasive wheel and went to work.

The passenger footpegs are coming off, so I didn't worry about grinding the paint o those, and the rear tail is getting cut directly behind the shock mount tabs. It's flared out to fit the stock seat and basically looks like shit, so it'll all be replaced with new tubing that'll match the final shape of the seat. De-tabbing will also be taking place this week.

Attachments

• 20151227_183425.jpeg
    20151227_183425.jpeg
    411.8 KB · Views: 308
Nice work Jewbacca,
I also installed a different steering tube into the triples of a 94' CBR600F2 back a few yrs. ago;I installed the orig. 86' VFR750F steerer tube and it was fortunate to be the same exact diameter and all I needed to do was set it up true and get it welded.I still have my spare custom triples from the CBR600F2/VFR750F1 after selling my VFR a number of years ago;I wanted to be ready in case I twisted my first one. ;)

I done did it now..

This is the spare engine that I needed some parts from. Specifically the 1 piece head. Between yesterday and today, this happened:

Attachments

• 20160101_162124.jpeg
    20160101_162124.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 306
  • 20160102_175606.jpeg
    20160102_175606.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 322
  • 20160102_175614.jpeg
    20160102_175614.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 333
Back
Top Bottom