New Jersey sr500 tracker/scrambler

How's it look? Some edges aren't stuck together I can mix up more resin later on and stick em together I'm also going to get the rubber that goes around the edge.

I was going to add a brake light on the back and a license plate holder but I think it will be a pain in the ass for an upholstery person to deal with so I might come up with something else some ideas would help.

I put four layers down is that thick enough?

And I forgot the 9v battery and fuse!! So checking the regulator is going to have to wait.

Does anyone know an upholstery place in nj lol this dude won't get back to me :mad:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    597.9 KB · Views: 275
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    763 KB · Views: 265
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    890 KB · Views: 282
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    802.3 KB · Views: 266
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    597.6 KB · Views: 274
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 286
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    830 KB · Views: 264
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 291
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    953.1 KB · Views: 280
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    952.6 KB · Views: 281
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 262
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 285
It does look pretty thin. How many layers of the fabric did you lay down?

Edit - didn't read your whole post. 4 layers sounds like plenty based on my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xb33bsa said:
unfortunately its to thin no strength, wont last the first long ride

ill have to add some material to it, is there a thickness that I should be aiming for? I was thinking of doing one more sheet. I can check the thickness later on tonight.

treitz said:
It does look pretty thin. How many layers of the fabric did you lay down?

Edit - didn't read your whole post. 4 layers sounds like plenty based on my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ill probably just do another layer to be safe I originally put 4 layers criss-crossing to clean it up a bit, It will just have to wait until I can find somewhere besides my basement to do it...stunk up the whole house pretty bad!

coyote13 said:
Seems like not much material over the frame either? I'd be afraid of it falling through...

Edit: Looks like you really took your time on it though, and it shows. Keep at it, this is gonna turn out good

coyote13 said:
Edit: Looks like you really took your time on it though, and it shows. Keep at it, this is gonna turn out good

it kinda hugs the frame rail, that wud be terrible falling through! im gonna have to add some thickness/bracing...

yep you done great job its looks awesome but needs some structural
like cardboard coat hanger tubes a few layed crossways then glased over a few layups this gets a 3d dimensinal strenth from the structures shape not the cardboard they use large diameter cardbord tubes for underneath of runabout boat decks as an example
you cannot just lay more resin and glass on top now it won't stick (unless you used laminating resin and no finish coat)

you will have to GENTLY grind away the very top layer of the resin TO PREP IT FOR ANOTHER LAY
did you use laminatimng resin or did you make it in one wet session ?
this is why you use laminating resin you can continue design it will be sticky but a day or 2 later you can do more lays easily

The form of that pan is inherently strong.

Throw the pan on the bike, put your palm in the middle of it and push down with as much of your weight as you think it can handle. My guess is that your feet come off the ground before it deforms or cracks and in that case it is already more than strong enough.

Common sense is allowed here.

Lets not forget that the next step will be to put a significant amount of padding on top of that seat pan, which will disperse the weight even more.

You know how when you hold a tool in your hand, you just know if it's strong or if it's not? use that sense in this application as well.

xb33bsa said:
yep you done great job its looks awesome but needs some structural
like cardboard coat hanger tubes a few layed crossways then glased over a few layups this gets a 3d dimensinal strenth from the structures shape not the cardboard they use large diameter cardbord tubes for underneath of runabout boat decks as an example
you cannot just lay more resin and glass on top now it won't stick (unless you used laminating resin and no finish coat)

you will have to GENTLY grind away the very top layer of the resin TO PREP IT FOR ANOTHER LAY
did you use laminatimng resin or did you make it in one wet session ?
this is why you use laminating resin you can continue design it will be sticky but a day or 2 later you can do more lays easily

I used the stuff with wax in it, I did the pan that I have so far in two sessions, did a diagnol and a straight layer then I let it dry and sanded the top wax off and impregnated the two mounting screws and laid two more sheets one diagnol the other way and one straight again. I will be welding in a flat bar across the frame rails where the carriage bolts will be mounting the seat to the frame. I know the hanger cardboard pieces your talking about but I haven't gotten any hangers with them lately!!! :-\

dualero said:
Weld some flat stock to the frame rails for support

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

im going to have a flat bar accrossed the area where the carriage bolts will mount to I was planning on putting a couple strips of Velcro around the rest but I might have to do a support somewhere in the back or middle.

DohcBikes said:
Lets not forget that the next step will be to put a significant amount of padding on top of that seat pan, which will disperse the weight even more.

You know how when you hold a tool in your hand, you just know if it's strong or if it's not? use that sense in this application as well.

I will try out that test, if it breaks itll be easy to fix... I know exactly what you mean about the tool thing...still haven't gotten around to getting the fuse or battery :(

Nj732port said:
im going to have a flat bar accrossed the area where the carriage bolts will mount to I was planning on putting a couple strips of Velcro around the rest but I might have to do a support somewhere in the back or middle.
All right, I like that plan.

But I meant that you weld some braces, other than the one that is going to receive the carriage bolts for seatpan securing, in the areas where you butt will be. They could also serve purpose as a flat surface for sticking the velcro as you said before, and at the same time adding some support.

If you go by what Dohcbikes said, and the pan passes through the test, then I'd think it I'll be strong enough and not in need of those flat bars across.

Keep at it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

yeah that's what I meant when I was talking about the support I just wasn't clear what I was supporting or where, my old pan had a tab at the rear maybe ill do that because I need to mount a plate holder and tail light still too

Nj732port said:
Hey thanks for checkin out my seat pan, I gotta get some dremel cut off wheels and clean it up a bit more and figure out if im going to make some kind of rear mount for a LED strip and a license plate. I am still undecided on whether or not I want to try and put the foam on my self or if I shud just have an eupholstery shop do it.

That's a lobster roll from a place in point pleasant NJ that my girlfriend wants to go to, probably this weekend. its just chunks of lobster and butter exactly what shud be on a lobster roll!
If your coming down to hit up Shore Fresh (I assume), there's a Harbor Freight about 10 mins away in Brick. Kill 2 birds with one stone. Also, Jamis Upholstery in Point Pleasant is a very good, old school shop. We've used them at work for a number of vehicles on numerous occasions.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom