71 CB450 Urban Hooligan Tracker

TheBraps

I picked up a 71 CB450 last year and finally decided to start stripping it down to build a retro urban hooligan tracker. I have an idea of what I want it to look like. In the end when I am done with the build I will either sale the bike, raffle the bike off or donate it to The Fisher House Foundation for them to use in a charity event. Either way it goes all proceeds from the bike will be going to Fisher House Foundation. I look forward to searching these forums for help along the way. I will use this post to track my progress. As this is all out of pocket for me with no sponsor ships looking to drag this out over the entire year of 2018. I have already done the swap to a 2003 GSXR 600 front end, removed the dents from the tank and primered, cut the rear end off the bike, detabbed the frame and light primer.

Date of Purchase
before.jpg

Currently
cb450.png

New top triple clamp with riser mount holes drilled from Cognito Moto ordered, Pro Taper Contour bars (CR High bend) and Pro Taper Pillow Top Lite grips ordered all on Friday of last week. Will be picking up the riser mount for the motoscope mini from Cognito Moto to fit the motoscope mini and motosign indicator lights in. Bars and grips will be here tomorrow no shipping info from Cognito Moto yet. ASV perches and levers along with original Honda bar switches will finish up the controls on the bars. Going to fabricate up a front facia (number plate style) with LED headlight assembly built in. Thinking of running M-Blaze turn signals up front and they will be what holds the number plate to the facia mounts.

What are the cons of doing the CB360 rear swinger swap? Plan on using the CB360 rear swingarm and hub to have a 36 spoke wheel. Other than the swingarm being longer(think maybe a set of longer shocks can help with this) and the axle being smaller, what are the cons?

None, it is plenty strong, everything basically the same just slightly longer. You could argue the angle of the shocks is less ideal but it really is no issue. The lighter hub is a plus. You've switched your front end so your wheelbase and handling characteristics have changed but longer swingarm should help keep it stable. I've done same swap with CBR600 F4i front end.

LiamG6 said:
None, it is plenty strong, everything basically the same just slightly longer. You could argue the angle of the shocks is less ideal but it really is no issue. The lighter hub is a plus. You've switched your front end so your wheelbase and handling characteristics have changed but longer swingarm should help keep it stable. I've done same swap with CBR600 F4i front end.

Thanks.. that is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I just blew another grand at Cognito. Talked to Devin over there and it seems Fox is no longer doing the Podium R series shocks. Anyone ever got any of the Ohlins STX series to work on the Hondas?

As soon as these orders come in from Cognito I will have some update pictures.Should have the CB360 rear soon-ish then I gotta get the hub and brake cleaned up ready for powdercoat and lacing it to a 17x4.25 warp 9

canyoncarver said:
Neat purpose to the build. I'm in.

Yeah the wife and I did a fundraiser for Fisher House about 3 years ago, we raised 18k for Fisher House and 10k for the family of a fallen Master Chief. Figured it was time to do another fund raiser for them.

Top triple from Cognito Moto came in yesterday. I have a few bits I am still waiting on to get the front end up as a roller. Once those come in I will do a video and post it on YT.

cm_toptriple.jpg

Made a lil bit of progress. Got the front wheel in from Cognito Moto, still need to get rotors and get the tire mounted on it.

wheel.jpg

Got the new top triple clamp and bar riser mount from Cognito Moto installed along with the Protaper Contour bars.

bars.jpg

bars1.jpg

Tires and rotors are on order trying to source a good CB350 swingarm, axle, adjusters and rear hub with brake plate. Looks like Fox stopped making the Podium R shocks so probably going to end up with Ohlins on it. Once I have a rolling chassis will start the fab work for the rear hoop, rear cowl and front number plate with integrated headlight.

Finally got the tired mounted to the new wheel. Still need rotors and calipers for it. Up next will be swapping to a CB350 rear swingarm and wheel. Going to lace the CB350 hub to a Warp 9 17x4.25 and mount a 150/70x17 rear tire. After that will start the fabrication for the rear cowl, hoop, electrical tray and front number plate with headlight.

roller.jpg

Looks great so far. I don't believe a 150 rear will fit in a CB360 swingarm though. Chain to tyre clearance would be an issue too.

LiamG6 said:
Looks great so far. I don't believe a 150 rear will fit in a CB360 swingarm though. Chain to tyre clearance would be an issue too.

Yeah did some more research and I will have to go with a 140/60

oldhub.jpg

Got the CB350 hub in and started cleaning on it. I need to hit it with some brake cleaner and some soft brass brushes to finish it up before I send it over to powder coat. I have new brake shoes, springs, bearing and sprocket to put back on it when it comes back.

cleanhub.jpg

Gotta take the swing arm over to a buddies show to use his media cabinet to clean it up. Should I do the brass bushing while I am at it?

TheBraps said:
Yeah did some more research and I will have to go with a 140/60

depending on the tire selection

I had a 130 tire on a cb360 and it was less than 1mm clearance of the chain. if you did a 520 conversion, you could be a little better off.. but I doubt a 140 will work

MiniatureNinja said:
depending on the tire selection

I had a 130 tire on a cb360 and it was less than 1mm clearance of the chain. if you did a 520 conversion, you could be a little better off.. but I doubt a 140 will work

Will be lengthening the rear swingarm by 2.5". I have talked to Devin over at Cognito Moto about what it takes to fit the fatter tire. Rear shocks will go to 14+"

Pete12 said:
If your buddies blaster uses glass bead then don't do the brass bushes...

It does use the glass beads. Can I do the brass bushing and just rebuild the swingarm after? I mean tear it down, media blast, clean and then put the bushing in?

Man I'm in on watching this build.

I like the way it's looking.

Good job so far.

TheBraps said:
It does use the glass beads. Can I do the brass bushing and just rebuild the swingarm after? I mean tear it down, media blast, clean and then put the bushing in?

Glass bead gets imbedded in material, particularly something as soft as brass, and will wear it out very quickly once reassembled. If you mean doing the swing arm without the brass bushing in place, then no problem at all.

Back
Top Bottom