Seized Enging CB175

monsterxs

Gentlemen.
I have a 1970 cb175 with a seized engine.
I did the "pour marvel oil in the cylinders" and let it soak for a couple weeks.
Question is, I'd like to put a little pressure on the crank with a breaker bar.
Whats the best way?

I'm confused by your question. Are you asking where to turn the crank from? If that's the question, remove the cover from the generator and you should see a large nut on the end of the crank (I think that's right for the 175 too...)

Also, Mystery Oil is ok I suppose... But if you really want to make some progress use Kroil or straight up kerosene. Also, are you sure the motor is stuck at the pistons and not somewhere else?

Put the bike in gear and rock it back and forth to try and break free.

Honestly I always have the best luck with tear it down and grab a block of wood and a deadblow and knock the stuck piston out.

Usually moves really slowly, but 15 minutes as a couple hundred smacks and I have never had one not come out.

But then again I'm impatient. I couldn't wait weeks. If its not free in an hour I'm likely to take a sawzall to the damn thing haha

Yes, I want to turn the crank bolt. The one that is in the generator side (left side)
is kind of whimpy, I'm afraid it'll snap right off. Will I damage anything on the generator side if I overtighten?
I tried rocking back and forth, no bueno.
I'm in no hurry either, I'll fill the f*&^^' thing full of kero or diesel with some marvel. It's all original, complete and it's worth a bit more if it runs.

Rocking it back and forth in gear will transfer more force to the rings than messing with the crank and pose WAY less chance of breaking shit.

I did that, it feels like its slipping the clutch a little in 4th and fifth.
I think I'll flush it/soak it and try again.
Will filling the motor with kerosene or diesel get into the clutch and if so will it hurt it?
Me thinks the original owner that I got it rom, crashed it (lightly) scared crap in him and parked it with 6,000 miles on it. Soaking it may be the way t o salvage some internals I guess.

I have heard a mix of kerosene and transmission fluid works wonders when dumped into the cylinders for a while.

monsterxs said:
I did that, it feels like its slipping the clutch a little in 4th and fifth.
I think I'll flush it/soak it and try again.
Will filling the motor with kerosene or diesel get into the clutch and if so will it hurt it?
Me thinks the original owner that I got it rom, crashed it (lightly) scared crap in him and parked it with 6,000 miles on it. Soaking it may be the way t o salvage some internals I guess.

How did you get it into "forth or fifth"? Was it there to begin with?

Is the kick starter jammed? Does it partially rotate, just a few degrees (five or so), without actually turning the motor?
The pin that locates them can break letting it rotate too far into engagement.

transmission works fine, clutch works.
The kick start was locked but after I filled the cylinders with marvel an soaked for a while
I tried kicking it again.
What confuses me is the kick start broke free and the wheel will rotate when kicked but the
pistons wont go up and down when kicked.

I watched a video of a redneck duck dynasty guy on youtube and he set up an engine flush.
it circulates a mix of diesel and marvel. pumps in through the oil fill and comes out the
overflow/vent hose that comes out the head.

Back up plan is, should I just cut the timing chain link, pull the head and apply appropriate blunt pressure to the piston with a block of wood and Thor's hammer?

Hi monsterxs.
I see it is a couple of months since your post but did you find out what was siezed on the engine. I have aquired a 72 CB175 and that too has a siezed engine. It has stood in an out building for 35 years. I have filled the crank case to the top of the filler hole with diesel and left for 3 weeks and been spraying penetrating fluid down the plug holes but still can't get it to turn even after welding a 22mm nut onto the front sprocket and using an impact gun from the compressor. Looks like I will have to cut the cam chain and start working my way down the engine. Hopefully it is the piston rings rusted to the bores.

Martyn.

Back
Top Bottom