1975 CB 360T update

jkluesner

Been Around the Block
Hello all-- picked up a rad little 360 CBT this past week. This is going to be my girlfriends ride and we/she are currently trying to figure out what direction to take with it. Got the bike for pretty cheap we think, considering the parts, condition, and extra parts. Bike has been sitting for 15 months and wouldn't start, but after setting the points and putting a trickle charger on it (battery is dead) the thing roared to life.

Little info:

~9,000 miles
recently repainted
new seat
SL front end with 21 inch rim (this is going to be interesting to deal with)
rims powdercoated and re-spoked
new Mikuni carbs (same carbs I have on by beamer)
forward controls- brand new
brass swingarm bushings
wrapped headers and supertrap exhaust

Came with:

original mufflers
scrambler pipes (very happy about this)
original foot controls
rad 1976 clymer manual
assortment of other parts

Overall we think it is a good base to start with. What ya guys think?

photo (3) by jkluesner, on Flickr

photo (4) by jkluesner, on Flickr

Re: 1975 CB 360T project

Good find.

Also, I know I'm splitting hairs, but I'd be willing to bet those bushings are bronze, not brass.

Following along for this one...

1975 CB 360T project

Nice bike.
Can't say I have ever seen forward controls on a bike with a "cafe" seat haha

Good thing is they look like a really easy conversion to nice rearsets

SONICJK said:
Nice bike.
Can't say I have ever seen forward controls on a bike with a "cafe" seat haha

Good thing is they look like a really easy conversion to nice rearsets

Forward controls on a café bike? Ness does it all the time... what are you talking about? ;D

1975 CB 360T project

I do love leaning over with clip ons and having my feet 6 inches form my hands when I'm riding hahah

Rider would look like they were falling off a cliff and reaching for the edge haha

Yeah, I thought it was a little strange as well. I think they guy was confused on what direction he wanted to take. Also, I do agree those forward controls will be great rear sets. Shouldn't be too hard to convert them. :)

Question for you guys. How big to you think we can go on the front tire with that 21 inch rim? 3.00 21? We are thinking some mild knobbies.

I wouldn't go too crazy. A wide front may affect the handling in ways that are not desirable.

Sonreir said:
I wouldn't go too crazy. A wide front may affect the handling in ways that are not desirable.

Yeah, I am concerned about the handling. It's a 2.5 inch rim and it currently has a 80/90 21 on it. Maybe I can push it up to 90/90. I am liking the Kenda K761. Says 80% street and 20% offroad.

Re: 1975 CB 360T

We chopped the subframe loop and lined it up the seat. We will mount an LED tail-light in the middle between the gap in the seat and the subframe. In addition, we ordered a bunch of parts (moose racing carbon steel low-rise bars, shorty mufflers for the scrambler pipes, black exhaust wrap, tail-light). Looking to replace the headlight and speedo with a larger/longer, more retro style headlight with the speedo embedded, sorta like my beamer headlight.

bike-rear by jkluesner, on Flickr

bike-top by jkluesner, on Flickr

I really like the exhaust you've got on there now. That said, it doesn't look nearly as fine as the scrambler pipes will!!!

-Matt

mattfeet said:
I really like the exhaust you've got on there now. That said, it doesn't look nearly as fine as the scrambler pipes will!!!

-Matt

Thanks Matt, we plan on painting, wrapping, and sealing the scrambler pipes this weekend.

Woke up this morning to find a large pool of gas below the bike with the petcock in the off position. I am assuming it's the floats on the carbs...

Re: 1975 CB 360T cam chain tensioner adjust

Regarding the cam tensioner, I read online that the 1975 360s had the cam tensioner upgraded and you can tell by the vin of your engine. Our vin # is [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CB3602100646 and this is supposedly outside the range of vin numbers that needed the recall. Can anybody confirm this?[/font]

Re: 1975 CB 360T pipes from a 69 CL

So, looks like the scrambler pipes that came with the bike are from a 1969 CL. I am assuming I won't be able to get the headers to mount to the cb360. I do have the flanges for the scrambler pipe. Has anybody done this before? Can it be done?

Re: 1975 CB 360T header question-- pipes from 1969 CL

From what I've read I thought all 360 engines could swap parts no problem, including the exhausts

jkluesner said:
Regarding the cam tensioner, I read online that the 1975 360s had the cam tensioner upgraded and you can tell by the vin of your engine. Our vin # is [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CB3602100646 and this is supposedly outside the range of vin numbers that needed the recall. Can anybody confirm this?[/font]

If I remember correctly, the "2" in the vin, right after the "360" indicates the second model year (a '75) of that bike. Perhaps even more important than the cam chain slipper improvement, the '75 and newer engines had corrections for the cam oiling issues that plagued the '74 modes.

Re: 1975 CB 360T header question-- pipes from 1969 CL

Finnigan said:
From what I've read I thought all 360 engines could swap parts no problem, including the exhausts

That is not true at all. Though they look the same, the '74 360 engine is different from the later models. There are many parts that will not interchange. AND, as for those '69 CL pipes... those have to be from a 350 rather than a 360, as the 360 model line started w/ the '74 model year. My understanding is there are very few parts that the 350 and 360 share, including exhaust pipes.

ridesolo said:
If I remember correctly, the "2" in the vin, right after the "360" indicates the second model year (a '75) of that bike. Perhaps even more important than the cam chain slipper improvement, the '75 and newer engines had the cam oiling issues that plagued the '74 modes.

Hey ridesolo, are you saying that the 75 and newer engines had or didn't have cam oiling issues?

jkluesner said:
Hey ridesolo, are you saying that the 75 and newer engines had or didn't have cam oiling issues?

[size=12pt]I corrected my comment... I meant that the '75 and newer engines had the oiling issues corrected.

ridesolo said:
I corrected my comment... I meant that the '75 and newer engines had the oiling issues corrected.

Nice! Glad to hear that :)

Back
Top Bottom