What a pain in the ass... Thanks PA.

VonYinzer

Over 10,000 Posts
So after talking to several different notarys, a few people at the local courthouse, my state rep (seriously, thats who the courthouse directed me to...), two different officers at the PA State Police Vehicle Fraud Dept. and 1 librarian (long story)... I still have no title for the Suzuki. It seems that I will have to file paperwork and go in front of a judge (which means missing a 1/2 day of work and paying $120) to beg him to file a court order on behalf to PennDOT. Than if he agrees to and PennDOT accepts the order, I should get a title in my name in 8 - 16 weeks. Its almost not worth it. The last state cop I talked to was cool though. He told me just to find another frame with a title and go that route because "PAs court system is bullshit, and youll want to kill yourself if you get involved with it..." Man all this for a few boxes of parts and what not... Anyway. Before I go the, bullshit than suicide, route, keep an eye out for a t250 frame w title on the cheap, would ya fellas? Thanks...

Gotta love government. ;) I'm on my way back to the post office this afternoon for the 3rd time to try and get my passport. They keep coming up with bullshit that I was suuppsed to bring that I can't find mention of anywhere on the damned state dept website despite what they tell me. :mad:

Some states have an abandonment policy. For example, if you "find" a vehicle and want to keep it, you file a finders claim at the courthouse, place an ad. in the local paper and after 30 days, if no one else comes forward with the title, the vehicle is yours. You pay a much smaller fee and save a hell of a lot of time in the courts and you get a new title to the vehicle with your name on it. I have a friend who pulled an old Karmann Ghia out of a field and filed a finders claim. After 30 days it was his for less than $100.

Blake said:
Some states have an abandonment policy. For example, if you "find" a vehicle and want to keep it, you file a finders claim at the courthouse, place an ad. in the local paper and after 30 days, if no one else comes forward with the title, the vehicle is yours. You pay a much smaller fee and save a hell of a lot of time in the courts and you get a new title to the vehicle with your name on it. I have a friend who pulled an old Karmann Ghia out of a field and filed a finders claim. After 30 days it was his for less than $100.
Looked into that, and I was told that in PA it is a bad idea. It involves state cops, so...

I've been there before with my old kz440 man! it sucks...really hard to find anyone willing to help. i ended up getting another frame with a title myself in the end

Nope. He has another frame, but no title. So Im still fucked. I talked to my buddy's mom who works in the courthouse here (I live 3 blocks from the county courthouse) and she tells me the judge is a decent guy and she would put in a good word for me. Although no one at the courthouse could tell me exactly what paperwork I needed to fill out. ??? ??? I just have an issue with having to spend $120 just to have the guy sign a piece of paper. Gotta do what ya gotta do though I suppose. Even if there is no gurantee that he will sign the order. Im glad I live in Beaver County and not Allegheney (where Pittsburgh is) though, because I was told that in Allegheney I would need a lawyer and it could take up to 1 year just to get a judge to see me. (In PA different counties have VERY different legal systems.) I want this bike something fierce, and because Im a stubborn ass, Im going to exhaust every possible option before giving up and parting it out (or building a track only bike ;)). I just think its crazy that theres so many hoops to jump through to get this fucking bike on the road. Seems like they would want my money (registration, taxes, insurance, inspections, etc...).

So, good news (maybe) on the title front! My buddy who is an attorney just called me and said he may have a solution. It seems that he has a client who can get me a salvage title. I dont give a damn what kind of title is issued as long as I am legally the owner of the damn bike. Its not like Im restoring the bike so its all good. Now I just have to wait and see what he says.

Do tittle services not work in PA? I used International Title Servive, cost $180, had a title/tag in two weeks. Course that was years ago. Now the've closed that loop hole in NC.

Wow, you guys have it bad down there. It's pretty easy here in Ontario. How about registering a title bike that's out of state, or out of country? I'm hypothesizing that if someone across the border registered the VIN and got an Ontario title, how difficult would it be to register it in PA?

AHA!!!! Got it...
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/Specially_Constructed_Vehicle.pdf

So all I need to do is erase any VIN numbers on the bike. -Can do
Get a bill of sale for the motor. ( ;))
Keep a documented history of any work and aftermarket parts. -No biggie
Make sure it will pass a saftey inspection, which it would have to do anyway. -Sounds easy

What do ya think?
I can even name the bike whatever I want. It could be legally titled as the "VonYinzer tells PA to Fuck Themselves Special!"

Seriously though, anyone see any hiccups?

DrJ said:
Wow, you guys have it bad down there. It's pretty easy here in Ontario. How about registering a title bike that's out of state, or out of country? I'm hypothesizing that if someone across the border registered the VIN and got an Ontario title, how difficult would it be to register it in PA?
If the title is in Pa's records (which it may or may not be, they told me one of their records buildings burnt down in the 80s and they lost a lot of them) and I show up with a title with matching VINs its 90 days in state prison and up to $100,000 in fines...

Back
Top Bottom