Motorcycle Mags

Blake

the future is my friend
I ordered some parts from JC Whitney last year and got a $5 subscription to Motor Cyclist and Cycle World. Aside from a handful of articles, neither mag is for me. I'm not interested in many modern bikes. The lay out is bla and I'm not interested in modern bike racing coverage.

What other mags are out there that would interest a rider like myself? I'm interested in home tooling, vintage style, bike history, classic japanese (especially Honda) bikes. Bobbers, Flat trackers, cafe bikes.

I like "The Horse" Its allot of custom bikes and allot of reasonable priced builds by normal Jo Blows. Jap', Yank, Brit', the odd Duc' in all styles.

I bought an easy rider not too long ago. Severely disappointed. The boobs weren't even that good. Cycle World was ok, I bought the one featuring the terribly over priced new Indian.

The Horse is good as is classic racer. Motorcycle classics is cool. Garage magazine is great, though not all bikes. So is Dice Magazine. Car Kulture Deluxe and Ol' Skool Rodz (despite the horrible name) are cool, and showcase 1 bike per issue in each.

I know a guy who has a subscription to Rider and Cycle World. He doesnt have a chance to read em all, and most graciously gives me the year back log when they pile up too high. Just got this seasons pile a few days ago. the Feb 2010 Cycle World has a great article on Shinya Kimura, custom bike builder, shows his 2 cafe style bikes. Pretty badass. Iron Giant and a 1950's/60's scrap yard meets Motorcycle. like previously mentioned both are kinda dull, there is maybe a few interesting articles in each magazine.

My friend can't stand Cycle World esp and all the new bikes that they show. Me its a shock and awe type thing, once in a blue theres a neet new bike out. But then again lookin at the freaks is fun too! I dont care much for the Hypermotard things, those are like the bearded Lady, just plain awkward. Some new crazy BMW, Aprilla or Agusta is like the Sword Swallower, good show, if i tried id end up hurting myself so ill just watch. all in all i dont think id ever subscribe to either magazine, but i dont mind reading wasting my time with them.

Id like to check out The Horse. sounds more my speed.

I have almost every issue of the Horse from about 7 years back. The earlier ones are kinda white trash biker scum stuff. Lotsa sillyness. The past few years have gotten really great though. They even have a few cafe racers and other style bikes. Not just all chops/bobs...

I buy more chopper/bobber mags than other bike mags. I enjoy seeing all the custom fabrication techniques that can be adapted to my bike builds. Always get The Horse, very cool bikes and editorials. They are not Harleycentric and feature any brand of bike. Jesse James' mag called Garage is awesome. It comes out 4 times a year but distribution is spotty. Very high quality publication with excellent archival photos of vintage bikes and hot rods. Pure gearhead Americana. I wish the Japanese bike culture mags were imported here, they are amazing.

Deviant1 said:
Motorcyclist Retro is pretty neat.
Cafe Racer Magazine too.

Motorcyclist Retro is gone now. It's been replaced by Moto Retro Illustrated. It's a high quality, quarterly mag at the moment, but promises to be monthly if the demand warrants. 8)

All the retro/classic mags mentioned are good! That's what occupies most of my reading time! 8)

I like the modern mags too. I like to keep up with what's new as well as the old stuff. :eek:

I've always been into roadracing, so those mags are high on my list as well. :)

I'm not so much into the bobber/chop mags. They're cool builds. It's just that I'm not building one and probably won't be in the forseeable future! :)

i picked up a bobber magazine on my way home for christmas this year. it had alot of cool custom builds on all bikes. there was a realllly sweet xs650 bobber, now if i could just find the magazine.

Back
Top Bottom