Opinions wanted on decent air cooled Japanese bike

Okay so I have a bit more about the XS750. Mileage is 17466, it hasn't been out of storage since the early nineties, and has a bit of surface rust here and there. Minimal though. No real damage, the front tire is flat, but it comes with a new one.

Any comments?

My money's on the xs650. They are bulletproof and you can get everything you need. They are also fast enough for a long ride down the highway so you don't get run over. A twin is so much simpler to work on and the jets are bigger so they don't get clogged so fast. I have both an xs650 and a cl350 and the honda is the darling but the yamaha is way more practical. Don't dismiss an rd350 in road race clothes!

fireworks said:
No kidding!  That's pretty good.  Is there any other sites equivalent to that for the other bikes?

I have been searching in vein for MikesCB.net.  ;)

I am finishing up my 1978 XS750 and will be posting it by the end of winter.. i got the bike for $100 and rode it home!! Between eBay and bikebandit.com it was not difficult to find parts at all. Things to look out for are the self-destructing 2nd gear (i got a lightly used transmission off eBay for 30 bucks), electrical problems (i didnt experience any but they are a possibility because of the extensive electronics: self canceling signals, bulb check system, reserve lighting for headlight: pretty cool stuff for '78), leaky fuel petcocks (they are vacume operated). The XS750 and XS850 are great cruising/touring bikes in their stock form because of the smooth tripple engine, shaft drive, and twin rotors up front, but with a decent amount work and money i was able to cafe mine.

hey man, yeah theres alot of parts for the XS650 readily available as well for the CB750. I ride an XS650 myself and love it!! They do tend vibrate alot and after a long run you might get the tinglies, especially if you go with the cafe styled clubmans...i like the rumble though. the CB750 is a bit smoother in my opinion as it is a 4 cyl. But myself i find them a bit bulky in stock form. Long and short of it...if you get a twin they are a bit easier to tune and less expensive to fix...but the 4 cyl tends to be a bit smoother and nicer on the highways and longer trips...just my two cents!

good luck hunting!!

Back
Top Bottom