"clipons and stock foot pegs" and other cafe racer faux pas

Re: "clipons and stock foot pegs" and other cafe racer faux pas

canyoncarver said:
Sounds like a road trip.

DTT GTG, coming sooner than you know it.

Nice looking CB77. Odd thing is that they are a pretty small bike and yet the CB9 doesn't look too huge parked in front of her.

No more ball-peen hammer knee dents...

2011-03-29_16-11-59_216.jpg

J-Rod10 said:
Rode pretty hard up in to the Ozarks last week. Stopped at a café. Took off up further in to the hills, stopped at another café. Does that make her a café racer?

20160619_094613_zpsbkesawjg.jpg

That is a beautiful example of a monoshock conversion, it looks retro and modern at the same time and you have the skill and knowledge to do it properly but generally, I prefer a two shock bike to remain so. You can get some very good twin shocks now and I always wonder if the original part of the frame can withstand the extra g-forces that a modern swingarm and wide tire (and also a modern front end) can allow without extra bracing. I think I first read in Tony Foale's writing about how even improper bracing can lead to a flexing frame or even lead to the frame braking. Having owned an H2, GT750 and a few T500's and a GT500, I am pretty familiar with frame flexing. On my H2 I had the frame braced the same way that the racers did with the Z1's, upgraded the suspension and reduced the weight and for my abilities, it handled very well. But I digress.

I agree with lots of the previous comments but would add stainless steel bolts in an aluminum engine without using anti-seize (I have done this), I have also used low bars with stock pegs because I did not have the dough to buy rear sets, swing arm mounted license plates, lowered front ends, those dreadful Goodyear tires, sawed off exhausts and a personal pet peave, ugly homemade seats. Those ugly seats can ruin an otherwise nice looking bike.

Brian

CarbsAndCylinders said:
That is a beautiful example of a monoshock conversion, it looks retro and modern at the same time and you have the skill and knowledge to do it properly but generally, I prefer a two shock bike to remain so. You can get some very good twin shocks now and I always wonder if the original part of the frame can withstand the extra g-forces that a modern swingarm and wide tire (and also a modern front end) can allow without extra bracing. I think I first read in Tony Foale's writing about how even improper bracing can lead to a flexing frame or even lead to the frame braking. Having owned an H2, GT750 and a few T500's and a GT500, I am pretty familiar with frame flexing. On my H2 I had the frame braced the same way that the racers did with the Z1's, upgraded the suspension and reduced the weight and for my abilities, it handled very well. But I digress.

I agree with lots of the previous comments but would add stainless steel bolts in an aluminum engine without using anti-seize (I have done this), I have also used low bars with stock pegs because I did not have the dough to buy rear sets, swing arm mounted license plates, lowered front ends, those dreadful Goodyear tires, sawed off exhausts and a personal pet peave, ugly homemade seats. Those ugly seats can ruin an otherwise nice looking bike.

Brian

That was a big reason why I chose that swingarm set up. It runs the shock at a near 90° angle. It is not exerting force directly in to the backbone of the frame like the majority of monoshock set ups people use. With the linkage set up that swingarm uses, it uses the linkage rod that runs into a pivot, that pushes the shock down, it places less stress on the frame, but a whole lot more on the top shock mount. That is .250" steel, braced in a couple different places. It isn't moving.

Wow, you have really done a proper job and it looks great too!

I should add that when I said my H2 handled very well after some mods, I meant for a bike back in the 70's, not at all compared to anything modern.

I used to swap bikes half way through rides with my brother-inlaw, stepping off my RDLC350 onto his R6 was joyful for about 20mins, then I would get a bit bored with how good the R6 was.

Maybe I haven't ridden enough twin rear shock set ups and only ridden 1 converted twin to mono bike, that was an RD400 and it was brilliant compared to twin shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LC rear suspension doesn't feel much different to a well designed twin shock setup, LC probably has a little more travel, YPVS rear end with rising rate linkage feels a lot different to either.

Though bad twin shocks are really bad.

Ichiban Moto said:
I need to do a monoshock conversion ;D

Surely one car shock equals two bike shocks right? Thatd be a good place to start I'd think ::)

Mr.E said:
Surely one car shock equals two bike shocks right? Thatd be a good place to start I'd think ::)
I've checked the math on this. Looks legit

Back
Top Bottom