CB/CL350 headlight ear/spring/gaiter re-assembly question

scott s

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
I need some guidance on how the fork ears and gaiters go back together. I have a diagram, but I'm still a little confused and I didn't take enough pics when disassembling them.

Here's the diagram:

1) I know that the gaiters wrap into the groove in the fork lowers at the bottom. I don't remember there being anything on top of the circlip that retains the fork seal. Is there anything that sits on the circlip?
2) The plastic liner for the springs: It goes up top like in the diagram?
3) I know where the chrome trim ring goes at the bottom of the headlight ears. There's a plastic washer, a flat washer and a cupped washer....where do they go and in what order?

Been a loong time since I had mine apart. Mine is 69 CL350. So it could differ a bit...

The flat washer shown at the bottom of your pic looks to be the washer that sits between the circlip and the spring.

Plastic liner fits in the top of the spring (as shown in your pic)...dont want it sliding up and down on the polished tube surface.

The metal cup goes upside down over the top of the spring.

Ill look for a pic of mine. I do recall the plastic cup but I cant see it on my bike.

Ill find a pic...

forkseals2_zps19e27ce0.jpg

Yep like my pic shows. The steel washer sits on the circlip, then the plastic cup, then spring, liner, metal cup fits over the top of spring and up against the lower tree.

The larger flat ring in your pic probably fits over gator to trap it on the metal cup at the top end of gator.

I dont have gators installed...hence the chromed springs.

That leaves just the black plastic washer....doesn't it go on the bottom of the spring? To sit down on the washer that's on top of the circlip?

yep I just called it a cup. plastic washer sits between steel washer and spring. maybe to keep it from squeaking and soften between the spring and metal washer.

Okay, trying to get them back together now and the seals seem abnormally difficult to get seated. Number 14 in the diagram seemed to just drop down on top of the fork lower, just below the seal. It's not supposed to go down INSIDE the fork lower, is it? If so, I don't see how.
I'm just going through it in my head and trying to think of anything that could keep the seals from seating. I need just a couple more mm' s on each to get the circlip in.
And, of course, they're both started now and I can't take them apart to look at #14 again.

Back
Top Bottom