'72 CB350

f22hb

So my hopes are to make this a start to finish build. Not expecting to be done with this bike ever as with most projects.

Got the bike in Olympia and rode it home to Bellingham stopping at my dad's in Auburn. The trip was roughly 170 miles, filling up before I left and the petcock turned to res by the previous owner I didn't think to check it. Made it 3 miles from home before running out. I reached down to turn to res only to find it was already on it haha. Happy with the mileage though, said good things about the health of the motor.

The idea is to start out with performance/function which should eventually come with looks as well. I figure with most of these threads the idea is more pictures, less talking, so I'll try and snap pictures as I go.

Bike's already had quite the life, 40 years and over 21,000 miles.
IMG_01181_zps37ea50a3.jpg

What was once a uni foam filter is now just the spring covered by some old socks. Quite proper filtration I'm sure.
IMG_01131_zpsfde0a64f.jpg

Both sides have some poorly spliced plug wires. I realize this is the only way to replace wires on stock coils.
IMG_01141_zps76fc7c84.jpg

I don't have a picture of it when it was on the bike but it was embarrassing on a cb350 to have this huge sissy bar.
IMG_01151_zps914d0f35.jpg

Front and rear at this point have zero dampening. You can see the other side carb's filter was still intact.
IMG_01161_zpse729c530.jpg

Won't need these anyways, but was sad to see them damaged.
IMG_01171_zpsf88a7ce8.jpg

Doing 80+ on my way home with the bike, these were the only thing on my mind. The front was about flat when I rode it from the guy's house.
IMG_01191_zps05b749d2.jpg

The front spins amazingly true, but the tires gotta go.
IMG_01231_zps6689f2d8.jpg

Custom fuel lines that would leak, causing steam while sitting in stop and go traffic making me wonder what to do if the bike caught on fire.
IMG_01211_zpsbe701cba.jpg

Another shot, the carbs were SO far out of sync too. I haven't done it proper yet, just by eye/feel, but when twisting the throttle the left cylinder got quite the headstart on opening.
IMG_01221_zpsd738513e.jpg

The miles really show sometimes.
IMG_01241_zpsa7dabe7b.jpg

Biggest taillight ever made. Went well with the sissy bar, but both need to go.
IMG_01201_zps01e51319.jpg

First up on the parts list is the stuff to get the bike back on the road so I can enjoy it some before really tearing it down.

17 Tooth JT sprockets front with 36 Tooth JT sprockets rear to bring down the revs.
The bike can already 'do the ton' it's just incredibly scary haha especially revving that high. These gears should bring it down a bit for cruising as well.

To go with the new gears I got a D.I.D. standard 530 chain.

Tires of course were a must, so I picked up AVON AM26's front and back 100/90/18 and 110/90/18 along with tubes and tire strips.
Going to get them all mounted and balanced at a shop, makes all the difference at speed.

Also picked up some clear fuel line to redo the carbs without those ugly clams.

For the plug wires I got an Accel universal wire kit I'll be splicing in the proper way.

That was all from bike bandit, best prices around for all of the above. The last thing I did get after shopping around some were a set of velocity stacks from DCC. They were only $23 after shipping so we'll see how the quality is.

'72 CB350

Welcome to DTT. Yikes those tires look scary. No way I would've been going 80. I would've stayed away from the velocity stacks for now and just got some UNI foam filters. But looking forward to the build.

Re: '72 CB350

broncoboy79 said:
Welcome to DTT. Yikes those tires look scary. No way I would've been going 80. I would've stayed away from the velocity stacks for now and just got some UNI foam filters. But looking forward to the build.

I was slightly on the fence about the stacks, but after installing them and starting it up I'm glad I did.

Brentscafe said:
Those are some scary tires! Don't think I'd even drive 30 mph on them. Glad you made it home ok though

Yea the guy looked worried when I told him I was driving it home all that way on the freeway. It did really good though, the colder I get the faster I try to go, so three hours on the freeway I was ready to be done lol.

MotoMadness said:
Great project. Not even going to say what they air filter / sock thing looks like hahahaha

lol well its gone now, I'm sure the bike may be feeling less like a man now haha

IMG_01261_zps473fa553.jpg

The quality of the JT sprockets is good, but the front sprocket is getting some machining before it goes on.

IMG_01271_zpsb82e8981.jpg

The plug wires went on with little effort. The origional setup was very mismatched, glad I got these. Plus I've always run yellow Accel wires since my first car so its nostalgic for me I guess haha.

IMG_01281_zps647a8e39.jpg

Also got 3/16th I.D. fuel hose that fits correct without those clamps

IMG_01291_zps6fe578f4.jpg

Crappy pictures of drilling the front sprocket. Saved alot of weight, very happy with the result, just need to paint the exposed metal so it doesn't rust.
Lucky we had some carbide bits, the metal was super hard and had to step up one bit size at a time, then finished it with a slight chamfer.
IMG_01301_zpsdb358862.jpg

IMG_01311_zpsb6c799d4.jpg

IMG_01321_zpsa5403ee3.jpg

IMG_01331_zpsc6d6b8cd.jpg

Been working on this alittle at a time. Haven't been keeping up on posting much though.
Got the new tires on, new chain/sprokets plus so much more lol. Trimmed the fender back, got new signals front and back. Clubmans on with motion pro grips and bar ends. Been riding it to get everything worked out. Next up is new levers that actually match eachother lol, went with flanders doglegs. Plus it needs rearsets and new pipes. I don't think putting rearsets on the passenger pegs is the perfect spot either, I know everyone does it but I don't see why, it feels wrong. So I'll get creative for that. Also it needs new swingarm bushings, too much play so I got some new replacements on the way. So much little stuff to do. Also on the lookout for something to stiffen the front end up. No point in getting the progressives in the rear until then.
Terrible random picture time.

IMG_01421_zps54fa04e1.jpg

Real nice...

IMG_01411_zpsda4b09c1.jpg

Previous owner had no shame haha.

IMG_01401_zps92e3ca0e.jpg

IMG_01431_zps2807ffc1.jpg

^^^^^^I plan to -_-

IMG_01441_zps74b11018.jpg

Before the tires were mounted, looking at the new taillight and huge fender.

IMG_01591_zpsae06bda8.jpg

Lucky I don't look too weird without rearsets yet since I'm 5'5" and about 130lbs.

Back
Top Bottom