Re: Scott's 1974 CB360 project- She is alive!!

I just rode around the block! That was exciting but she's not running too good yet. Kinda rough and stumbly, no idle

So here are my plugs after riding it around the block and trying to get it to idle a bit. I wasn't expecting anything but what do the plug readers think.

P4090027.jpg

im no expert but with the idling issue and the way the plugs look that is classic rich to me. my jetting is a bit high and they look the same way. i think its more of the seals on the jets are old and dry for me though.

The right one is firing? Looks like it is not even running man that might be some of your issue. You have to run the bike for a bit to get all the excess crap and oil and fuel and what not out of the system before doing a plug test. Plug tests need to be done at a given LOADED RPM to test the various jets in the bike.

I just got new points this morning and my Hondaman box came yesterday. I'll install and readjust tonight, then I'll re-evaluate.

how about a nice big write-up of the hondaman install? im sure a couple guys (like me) would be interested to see whats involved.

Hondaman is easy, one of the older members on twins has a write up I can link if you haven't seen it. It's really simple as I can tell. I'm looking at doing the same once my cash flow comes back from building everything else. :eek:

frogman said:
Hondaman is easy, one of the older members on twins has a write up I can link if you haven't seen it. It's really simple as I can tell. I'm looking at doing the same once my cash flow comes back from building everything else. :eek:

yes please on the link

http://home.comcast.net/~tbpmusic6/HondaMan%20Ignition%20Project.pdf

The install is a simple unplug the coil/point wires plug in the Hondaman unit into the loop, add the ground and go. Very easy, this idea has been around for years ever since the transistorized ignition booster systems came out for cars and trucks with point systems.

If you're not a member over at hondatwins.net yet go do so and read up, they have the best collection of information for ALL the honda twin bikes that I have ever seen. Plus several of the members are ex-Honda dealer mechanics so they know these bikes in and out and up and down.

Just went for my first real ride on the CB!! Wow that's a lot of vibrations, haha. Running good, but still needs some fine tuning.The Hondaman box is super easy, if you can pull and plug 5 wires you can do it. The toughest part is finding a place to secure it on a café.

Nice! rode my bike for about 15 miles today at 65... think my ass bone is still vibrating. Congratulations!

I am getting a strange noise, at first I thought it was a pressure leak but I am thinking it may be a current leak. It's a very short squeaky Tsskq
Wondering if that could be my points arcing off??? I am going to silicone the cover and see if it helps.
Also how do people time with a timing light without making a huge mess? I was thinking of buying an extra stator cover and cutting a window in it.

The valve train in these engines are pretty noisy even if they are set up right. Mine makes a very quiet ching-ching-ching noise while it runs, its just the cam chain banging on the camshaft or the tappets making noise. Just part of owning an old bike. Mine also makes a high pitched vibration noise at certain RPMS and that is just the center stand rubbing on its stop when its folded up.

Time it statically and leave it alone, unless you want to check the advance. I static timed mine and then pulled out the gun and it was so close I didn't even mess with it further. Put the bike on the center stand or brace it up right or lean it slightly to the right and it will stop dribbling oil everywhere. It would be kinda neat to get a another cover and cut the center out and glue in some plexy glass or LEXAN so you can watch things spin. ;D

It's not a mechanical noise in my opinion, I siliconed the points cover but after thinking it couldn't be that with the Hondaman box there isn't even enough current to light the trouble light. I'll try to video it, problem is it's sporadic.

I have been looking around for a clear lexan stator cover, I think it would be cool and a clear points cover. You could always have some CNC machined and sell them I suppose.

http://youtu.be/ELAcxEizZJA

Oh, I do have a tiny bit of oil in the points cover. Maybe the rocker sealing caps? I put a new cam seal in already during the build.

Back
Top Bottom