Little Red - '72 Suzuki T500 - New oil tank

Re: Little Red - '72 Suzuki T500 - New parts

How much was that sweet battery? If you dont mind me asking...

That PC8 fuse box is a great choice. I used on on my build and would use another in a heartbeat.

Damn. $50?? I wish i didnt buy a brand new wet cell last year when i bought the bikes. A small dry cell like that is all i need. My GT is kick only as well... On well, something to keep in mind for a later date.

Thanks for showing that battery John, one of the guys over on the GSR forums just had an explosion of an A123 battery pack which has turned some of us off as it's not the first, and the Ballistic one looks like a perfect alternative...

Lookin good man, t500 is pretty quick too. Ill be watchin!

Re: Little Red - '72 Suzuki T500 - Fender Bracket

The fork brace / front fender bracket on this bike is kinda clunky. I am going to re-use the same part but if I can cut off the excess stuff that is not needed it will be better.

This is the stock bracket. The fender stays will no longer be used so the attachments at the brackets bottom will be cut off. I am also going to narrow the whole bracket just slightly.
P8160011.jpg

After cutting. A set of new bolt holes have also been drilled to lower the bracket about 1/2" closer to the tire.
P8190012.jpg

Done.
P8190015.jpg

The bracket will need to be re-chromed. I debated with myself about filling in th old bolt holes. I think I will just leave them.
P8190016.jpg

The fender mounting looks much cleaner now that you trimmed the bracket. The small battery that you are using, can it be laid on its side or does it have to be upright?

johnu said:
The fender mounting looks much cleaner now that you trimmed the bracket. The small battery that you are using, can it be laid on its side or does it have to be upright?
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the front wheel and fender now. The battery is totally sealed and can be mounted in any orientation. The only caution provided concerned not leaving it connected to a charger beyond the point where it is fully charged.

Re: Little Red - '72 Suzuki T500 - Plate and Frame

A small update:

The bike came with an old style 70's California license plate. It was really beat up and I wish I had a shot of the original. The new restored plate is shown below.
P8220019.jpg

When mounting the seat I raised it off the frame. This has left a gap between the seat and the rear fender. Also the space between the rear tire and the fender seems tight. My plan is to heat and bend the part of the frame behind the rear shock mount so as to raise the rear fender about one inch. I am not quite sure how to get both sides bent exactly the same amount.
P8210017.jpg

P8210018.jpg

John, that coming together nicely. The simple way to get the ends right is to set up the bike on center stand and run a Level across the swingram. Use shims under one leg of the stand if necessary to get the swingarm deal level side to side. Check the frame top tubes as well but they are sometimes slightly off.

heat one side and bend it to where you want it. Then "come on down to the other side", heat and bend the other side and use the level to check the frame ends side to side. Double check against the swingarm level in case it moved with all that bending.

teazer said:
John, that coming together nicely. The simple way to get the ends right is to set up the bike on center stand and run a Level across the swingram. Use shims under one leg of the stand if necessary to get the swingarm deal level side to side. Check the frame top tubes as well but they are sometimes slightly off.

heat one side and bend it to where you want it. Then "come on down to the other side", heat and bend the other side and use the level to check the frame ends side to side. Double check against the swingarm level in case it moved with all that bending.

That seems straight forward. I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow.

Re: Little Red - '72 Suzuki T500 - Bend the frame

Time to tweek the frame a little as mentioned previously.

To prepare I removed the rear wheel, seat, and fender. I also took the shock absorbers loose from their top mount and removed the paint from the frame in the area where heat would be applied. Ready to start.
P8250020.jpg

Tools are minimal. I used a level on the frame and the area I am modding. Heat was applied with this torch.
P8250025.jpg

I used a three foot section of heavy wall 2" pipe to actually bend the frame.
P8250023.jpg

First bend made. Near side is one inch higher than far side.
P8250021.jpg

Both side done. Checked frame for overall level at the swing arm and then verified eye holes at end of frame are same level.
P8250022.jpg

After re-installing the fender and seat it looks like success. Seat and fenfer are slightly different radius so seat hits fender on the left and right side above the bolt and there is just a small gap at center behind the tail light.
P8250026.jpg

Oil tank has now been ordered. I am anxious to see what it will look like.

Re: Little Red - '72 Suzuki T500 - Minor frame tweek

It appears to have worked out perfectly.

You're doing great work here. Consider it high praise I can't think of one thing I'd do differently. Lol. I did notice a little snafu though, regarding what a voltage regulator does. A rectifier converts a/c to d/c. A regulator keeps voltage at a set level (regulates). Carry on. Lol.

Glad to see that it worked for you. That seat -frame-fender combo looks neat and intentional.

two-smoker said:
I did notice a little snafu though, regarding what a voltage regulator does. A rectifier converts a/c to d/c. A regulator keeps voltage at a set level (regulates). Carry on. Lol.
It will not be a closely held secret that I am NOT an electrical expert. I try to get the proper size wire connected to the correct spots and when I turn the key for the first time hope that nothing melts. If lights come on it is even better! ;D

Yeah, thats always a plus when the lights come on!
I've learned once you let the magic smoke out , it's aweful hard to refill it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom