1972 CB/CL350 - trying to keep it classy

Re: 1972 CL350 cafe build

Good looking base. Aside from the seat, the bike looks like it is in good shape. If you decide you don't want to use those pipes, let me know. I have been looking for a set.

Those pipes look to be in excellent condition...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yeah the pipes are in great condition, especially compared to the rest of the chrome on the bike.
I will probably have them up for sale in a bit here. I will be using them as a template for a custom set. I just don't know about those "puff-puff" sound mufflers... ;)
The seat is garbage, but I wouldn't use it anyway. Also, the tank is in great condition, but I will be going with a bigger, more street/race tank. So that will be up for sale as well.

I've got a ton of CL350 spare parts, including a complete parts engine. Carbs, jets, new air cleaners, seat, headlight etc..... Let me know if you run into something you need.

thehoggster said:
Yeah the pipes are in great condition, especially compared to the rest of the chrome on the bike.
I will probably have them up for sale in a bit here. I will be using them as a template for a custom set. I just don't know about those "puff-puff" sound mufflers... ;)

They're not that bad. They only puf puf if you're putting around. At 7k they roar. The 68 & 69 pipes do sound better though.

Those pipes have such a great look, and to this day copied on many custom builds.

I do love the look, but I want a more aggressive exhaust note. So instead of butchering these, I will most likely copy them and add mufflers of my choosing.
BUT, that is out in the future. Lot's of other work to be done before the exhaust. I am finishing up this beast during the next few days and then it's 100% cafe time!
Horrible pic, I know...

bobber and buddy by thehoggster1, on Flickr

Re: 1972 CL350 cafe build - rd400 tank

Well I found myself 2 RD400 tanks. One is decent and the other...not so much. I am going to use the not so hot tank for the rear hump/cowl. I will likely cut a triangle out to taper it a bit as well. I will take plenty of pics. Until then. here is a lame pic of one tank sitting on my newly trim frame.

rd400 tank on the cl350 by thehoggster1, on Flickr

Re: 1972 CL350 cafe build - rd400 tank

My first attempt at welding. I am going to be be redoing this using gas instead of flux core... That is some THIN metal. I just got antsy. You get the idea though. I ripped this concept from another guy on here. RD400 tank and tail.

Untitled by thehoggster1, on Flickr

thehoggster said:
My first attempt at welding. I am going to be be redoing this using gas instead of flux core... That is some THIN metal. I just got antsy. You get the idea though. I ripped this concept from another guy on here. RD400 tank and tail.

Untitled by thehoggster1, on Flickr

interesting. why did you opt for metal instead of fiberglass? I initially tried metal but i think ill end up with glass.

IMO, there is something special about all metal on some builds. I personally am more comfortable working with metal than glass. :) The tail section looks great!

Well, I just forked out a good chunk of change for welder. I wanted to see if I could do it.
These side covers were my first try at fiber glass. They're made from scratch using the foam technique. I figure they turned out pretty good so if I bomb on the metal, I can always go the east route and fiberglass. That's right, I said easy! Ha! ;D

RS2 by thehoggster1, on Flickr

RS1 by thehoggster1, on Flickr

nice those side covers are gorgeous - what welder did you pick up, mig? flux-core or gas? The seat pan and cowling look really nice - was just wondering why you went that route since most people opt for glass.

It's a Lincoln 180c Flux/Gas. Pretty neat. I went through a roll of flux already practicing and doing that tail. I realize now I should've used gas, but I am just now getting a bottle. Pricey to buy around over here.

Don't waste your money on a new bottle. Buy used. When you take it to get filled, they usually just do an exchange for a full one.

I use just flux-core mig. Can't afford to use gas. You can always grind it down to a clean finish as long as your getting sufficient penetration but I'm going to try working with glass, might allow a more organic shape over metal.

If you don't buy into their system it cost more each time you fill it. Pays for itself after a bit.

Yeah, glass may be the way to go in the end. I do prefer the round rear over the one that I came up with. We'll see...

Gas is the way. Once you dial in the amps, the wire feed and the correct volume of gas it will lay down a pretty weld and you "may not" even need to grind. It takes trial and error. Practice on a piece of scrap every time you make a change. I find the ability to fuse metal incredibly rewarding and when you lay down a good puddle, people notice. :)

Autotek said:
Gas is the way. Once you dial in the amps, the wire feed and the correct volume of gas it will lay down a pretty weld and you "may not" even need to grind. It takes trial and error. Practice on a piece of scrap every time you make a change. I find the ability to fuse metal incredibly rewarding and when you lay down a good puddle, people notice. :)

oxy-ace by far has the potential to lay down the prettiest welds. I learned on oxy-ace and miss it every time i fire up my shitty mig.

Back
Top Bottom