My Pile of Rust - 1979 Kwaka Z250 Twin - Made in Australia!

detto

Adelaide, SA
OK, here it goes!

G'day everyone! I go by the name of detto and I plan on sharing my experience of my rusty Z250 project with anyone kind enough to spare a few minutes to read! Hopefully this will not be one of them dead end projects and you will all get to behold the final completion provided I can keep up the morale! That's where you guys come in! ;)

The project I am undertaking is a first for me, I plan on building a street legal learner bike using the Kawasaki Z250 as my model. My main goal is to experience and learn as much as possible along the way and hopefully by the end of it all, I'll have myself an awesome bike I can ride on my learners permit on the road.

So without further ado may I please introduce you all, to both my lovely girls haha!

p1090122s.jpg

p1090123a.jpg

p1090140l.jpg

As you all have gathered I have acquired two bikes, a Z250a and a z250b. I plan on using both for parts and hopefully create one running model out of the two. When I first laid eyes upon them on an add, advertising them both for $300 bucks I instantly clicked it... though I turned my head away very soon seeing all the corrosion and spiderwebs laughing and thinking to myself, who on earth would buy these two piles of rust... that sorry sucker was me. Though to my amazement they weren't too shabby after all! I'm in love..

This is where the journey begins. Wish me luck!

edit - correction my bike is actually a Z250 not previously a KZ250 as I had believed before. Sorry, blonde moment :-[

Re: My Pile of Rust - Kwaka Z250

Hey all,

I plan to use this space here to write up a check list and hopefully incorporate a contents page for easier viewing.

I will add as I go along, at this present point these are my main priorities:

- Registration, ownership of vehicle I have inquired and am fairly confident she can be rego'd, though still to be done. DONE
- Service Manual (Found one on the World Wide Web for free!)
- Dismantle everything Work in progress
- Un-seize both engines and select the best one (That is correct both engines are seized!)
- Recondition carburetor (Only a temp for initial start up, I plan to upgrade later.)
- Select better engine Done
- Fit better cylinder head and cam, check tappet clearances Done
- Un-seize Clutch Done
- Check ignition system & timing Done
- Fire the old girl up Shes alive! but running rough
- New battery and starter solenoid Done
- Jet carbsWork in progress
- Recondition ignition coils and re-wire (Only a temp for initial start up, I plan to upgrade later.)
- Recondition starter motor Done
- Fit parts Some goodies are on there way
- De-tab frame Done/i]
- Install seat To be done
- Rebuild said engine Ongoing process

-----------------------------------------------

Contents:

Page 1 - Introduction
Page 2 - Dismantling
Page 3 -
Page 497 - Finish!

Finally first update!

To be honest I actually wrote a fairly comprehensive one but accidentally clicked back without saving it and lost it all, pretty bloody peeved but life goes on! Lessened learned, keep it short and simple haha!

I removed both the engines from the bikes and unseized one just to have a gander. I also removed both carbies, so i can select one to be reconditioned at a later stage along with the better cylinder head and bottom end. The extent of damage from the seized piston should be visible on the photos. Lets hope the other engine isn't as bad.

Ive attached them as thumbnails as the larger pics are taking too much room.

Those photos above are only of me removing the carby, rocker cover, cylinder head and barrel off my engine from the main bike, i actually didn't remove the whole engine from the frame until later. I did however remove the complete engine from the donor bike, its still seized and yet to be opened. Might as well be Pandora's box!

p1100207l.jpg

More updates coming up later :)

Update - The second engine only had a seized clutch. The internals are actually in very good condition.

Re: My Pile of Rust - Kwaka KZ250

Crazy.... I didn't know they made a kz250
I dig your choice though, the KZ's are good bikes

we are currently cafeing a kawa z 400 twin....these bikes are great when it comes to form+party quality!

Hey all, I know its been a while! So please excuse my lack of updates. I've been holidaying it up in Thailand and sorting out life priorities plus the other million unfinished projects going on! so overwhelming :D

This is what I've been up too in regards to the project so far:

1) 2) 3) 4) 5)

1) The supposedly better carby, I removed all jets and dismantled it ready for a half decent clean.
2) After a good wash and clean, I assembled it all after but forgot to take photos!
3) Both bikes with engines removed. I actually don't mind the alloy wheel look, though I'll most likely end up rolling with the good ole spokes.
4) Further dismantling. Seriously, getting that air box out was a real battle lol. I also removed any other unnecessary parts I didn't need for now.
5) The wiring loom. Unfortunately because I'm so pedantic and like things to be near perfect, I'll most likely re-wrap it and remove any wires I don't need and add extras. A job I'm not looking forward too.

And finally, a full bike shot of the naked beauty:

p1150247g.jpg

Please do feel free to comment and ask questions. Getting kind of lonely talking to myself hah!

Time for some inspiration

I take this time to show some photos of the most beautiful cafe racers my eyes have laid upon, I have spent endless sleepness nights thinking about these machines and how I can incorporate and adapt their style in my build. They inspire me and stimulate my tastes. Thank you to the owners/builders for your time, dedication and finesse. Hopefully you won't mind me sharing.

tamyresy.jpg

"Winter project CB550 - SpeedBump of Cognito Moto"

img_docs_chops_yamaha_virago.jpg

"Virago 750 - Greg Hageman of Docs Chops"

sr500_matsumara_zps4a77fd1a.jpg

sr500_matsumara.jpg Photo by banking_303

image5787_zps234bc7ec.jpg

Harley paint scheme - Unknown source

CafeRacer650 said:
Cafe all the way.

Ah yes, the single cylinder "Mosquito" one of the first projects that got me interested in the cafe racers. I just quickly skimmed through your "Jellybean" build thread and am very impressed mate, I love the work and effort you put into your carbs. Just about to boil the kettle, I can already tell your thread is worth the full 7 page read with a cup of coffee!

I also didn't realize how many people own KZ's on here! I absolutely fell in love with Jeff's 1977 KZ650 B1 Cafe Racer. That is the epitome of near perfection in my subjective eyes. That is why I'm sold, "Cafe all the way." Indeed.

DSC01174_zpsf4bb6542.jpg

Describe the above in one word: Orgasmic ;)

Update:

Hey all, I got the un-seized engine back into the frame, fitted the clean carby and hooked up the loom. I finally got the engine to turn over for the first time since 1987 with the help of my 12V car battery and some patience. However it sounds as if shes struggling due to some resistance. I spoke to a mate and he suggested to check my tappet clearances and also said if the piston were previously seized perhaps there's some restriction in the cylinder bores.

I backed off the rocker arm adjusting screws a tad and loosened the camshaft chain tensioner. That did help the motor turn a bit more freely however once I put the spark plugs back in, there's still just too much load and she struggles to turn over. She should be cranking a lot faster? I'm also getting very weak spark and obviously no combustion as of yet.

I'm going to re-adjust tappet clearances to service manual recommendations and give that a go..

Check list to get her fired up briefly:

Timing:
- Tappet clearances DONE
- Contact breaker DONE (New points and set clearances)
- Check advancer DONE

Spark:
- Coils & leads DONE
- Capacitors DONE
- Spark plugs DONE (bought new ones)

Inspect:
- Starter motor Quick recondition
- Cylinder head (Valve guides and stems, cam journal)
- Cylinder bores and piston
- Electrical resistance

I really cant be buggered pulling of my cylinder head and barrel unless I have new gaskets and seals to put it back together. So I'll try everything else first on the list and see if it prevails for now.

Everyone your input and advice would greatly be appreciated right now. I'm losing all hope and motivation. :-\

detto said:
Ah yes, the single cylinder "Mosquito" one of the first projects that got me interested in the cafe racers. I just quickly skimmed through your "Jellybean" build thread and am very impressed mate, I love the work and effort you put into your carbs. Just about to boil the kettle, I can already tell your thread is worth the full 7 page read with a cup of coffee!

I also didn't realize how many people own KZ's on here! I absolutely fell in love with Jeff's 1977 KZ650 B1 Cafe Racer. That is the epitome of near perfection in my subjective eyes. That is why I'm sold, "Cafe all the way." Indeed.

DSC01174_zpsf4bb6542.jpg

Describe the above in one word: Orgasmic ;)

Wow, those are kind words that I definitely appreciate! I'm also excited to see how your build comes together. Recently there has been a surge in KZs on this site. Check out BLSully's build. He's a good friend and a fellow KZ guy! Jeff's build is fantastic and he's an extremely helpful guy.

Agreed. You'll have to keep a spare pair of pants around especially with a lot of the builds on this site. There are many "motogasms" to be had. ;)

WOOOOOO!!! got combustion in the right cylinder briefly with no carby, just using an instant engine starter (25% ether). Major break through for me! even though it lasted for a second ;D

I discovered there was one dowel missing for a bolt in the rocker cover, hence misalignment causing unnecessary load on the camshaft. She now cranks a lot more freely.

I'll add photos and write a more in depth report on what I did today and the results when I get some free time tomorrow. Now hopefully, I just gotta do a bit of fine tuning with spark and fuel to get her running consistently and smooth, hopefully being the main word.

Time to get sloshed, its the weekend and I feel like celebrating woooo!!!

Re: My Pile of Rust - Kwaka kZ250

Very interested in seeing how this progresses. I just got a 83 KZ250. So frantically searching for a direction myself.

Good luck with the bikes, should be a fun project.

detto said:
I currently reside in Adelaide

Sorry to hear that mate, there is a cure though. ;D

Keep persevering mate, the personal gratification of doing your own build is awesome. This my on going project, I am also building a GPz550 Cafe, which is a ground up build which is taking years

Attachments

• IMAG0135 (Small).jpg
    IMAG0135 (Small).jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,316
  • IMAG0185 (Small).jpg
    IMAG0185 (Small).jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 1,440

Time for a long delayed update!

I know it's been a while but the project is nonetheless persevering. I have managed to get her up and running on her own battery. In fact I have got the jets close to good enough to go for a few laps around the block. Biggest smile on my face, it was amazing! I now know roughly what jets I need to order and also have peace of mind knowing she meows. Having said that, I can't wait till she purrs ::)

Here's some random photos:

P3280085_zpse32c30e1.jpg

P3280080_zps57a83221.jpg

P3280086_zpsf47cf5c0.jpg

P3280090_zps746c793f.jpg

P3280094_zps83c7311e.jpg

I ended swapping the coils over from the other bike, it had no leads so I used some Bosch ones I had laying around. The backyard wiring wasn't meant to cause a heart attack, it was only temporary! I also cleaned the commutator on my starter motor, made a HUGE difference in terms of cranking over.

I plan on buying new coils and cloth wrapped leads eventually.

Ahoy! another update..

I will be painting my engine and ordering new case bolts very soon now. I also found some rearsets in the shed (try guess from what bike) I tried a mock up but I am still not convinced, I don't like the angle the heel guards point, what do you guys think? Also I finally cut off the passenger foot pegs, looks a lot cleaner now.

Tomorrow I will be going to motor reg in the city, it's about time I transfer her into my name. Fingers crossed its a hassle free event. The worst case scenario is I will have to go over the pits at Regency.

That'll be a ball breaker.

P4060102_zpsc3c0d591.jpg

P4060101_zps74a99611.jpg

P4060098_zpsfceb2128.jpg

P4060105_zpsa6f7124c.jpg

P4060112_zps21701882.jpg

P4060118_zps37e3f68c.jpg

my ltd..sorry not a cafe
but a old old old build for me..got it for my 21st. 50 this year.

Attachments

• IMG_0416.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    910.7 KB · Views: 266

ohh very interesting build I too have just purchased a Z250 1984 (belt driven with uni shock) and I will be following this thread closely.

I get to take mine home in the next few days and I will be converting it into a Cafe racer also :). (although the one I am buying is so hard to start and if you stall it then it just won’t start at all lol)

so ill have to get it running first too !

Back
Top Bottom