"CBass" -- Yamaha Virago XV750 Cafe Build (Finished!! Updated with Pics and Vid)

Re: "CBass" -- Yamaha Virago XV750 Cafe Build

Cuba Libre said:
Very very nice, well done!

A few things I thing I've missed:
- What's that exhaust on the bike (headers + muffler)?
- What size tires are you running?
- What's the front brake rotor off, it's not original, is it?

M.

M,

1. Header is a Mac 2-1. Exhaust muffler is from Cone Engineering in Los Alamitos, CA.
2. Front is 120/90/18. Rear is 140/90/15.
3. Front rotor is from MikesXS.net.

Such a beauty it is, wow 8)

I`m very impressed with the way things look tidy, this is what in my opinion is a `factory`look :)
Only thing is.....Yamaha didn`t....YOU did ;D

Hope it drives as good as it looks, maybe the next thing might be: 981cc cilinders?

+++++++++++++++for this build!

What a superb job TS - a credit to you.

Question ........... did your MAC exhaust come ready chromed ?

I have an identical system, but it appears to be Black ceramic / chromed from the factory ?

IF I go with the Stainless Gold Star silencer [ for The Vindicator" ] I had specially made, then the headers need to be chromed - IF I go with Turbo, not a problem as the whole exhaust can be redone in Black, including the Turbo piping.

Again - hat's off to you. 8)

I musta been asleep regarding this thread - just read it this morning over coffee #2. Great build and XLNT result!
Your methodical resolution of your build issues is an inspiration to us all - and you've given us a ton of good fab ideas as well.
As someone who has had a Virago cafe project going long term (5+ years!!!) I admire your determination in getting the bike together, 'cause with these things, you're building it all yourself.
Virago wheel alignment on my XV920 (chain driver) has been a huge pain in the ass and one of the reasons I mothballed the project. When the wheels are lined up, the chain rubs (I'm running a 180 X18 rear), when the chain dunt rub, the wheel is offset - which just looks so goddamned weird. I even thought about shifting the motor to the left in the frame but what the hell, I'll do what you guys say and my machinist has been telling mef for over a year now - make sure the wheels are parallel, get the spacers for the wheel and sprocket made up and go ride the effing thing.
Opening this thread was serendipitous - hadn't talked to my brother in awhile, phoned him yesterday and one of the things we talked about was "getting that big effing red bike going" LOL.
Again, outstanding ride you've fabbed there - many happy riding miles ahead for you.
Regards,
Pat

wynand2000 said:
Such a beauty it is, wow 8)

I`m very impressed with the way things look tidy, this is what in my opinion is a `factory`look :)
Only thing is.....Yamaha didn`t....YOU did ;D

Hope it drives as good as it looks, maybe the next thing might be: 981cc cilinders?

+++++++++++++++for this build!

Thanks man. I like it when parts on the bike are tucked away and properly placed so it all looks fluid.

It rides well. Has tons of power and handles great. It could use more less rake for quicker turn-in but happy as it is now. I dont think it'll see any track time soon.

T.Stanley said:
Thanks man. I like it when parts on the bike are tucked away and properly placed so it all looks fluid.

It rides well. Has tons of power and handles great. It could use more less rake for quicker turn-in but happy as it is now. I dont think it'll see any track time soon.

Maybe one day another front end with the axle on the bottom of the fork instead off in the virago case in front off.

But for now: easy in the corners and the straight lines....full throttle and enjoy this torque monster :)

wynand2000 said:
...another front end with the axle on the bottom of the fork instead off in the virago case in front off...

That would increase trail making it slower to turn. Remember the steering head axis is already in front of the wheel axle. Moving it back increases trail.

-Deek

This image is an example of a leading axle fork:

image002.jpg

Notice that the axle is behind the steering axis. Now imagine rolling the wheel back to the centerline of the forks. That would increase trail.

-Deek

P.S. Here's some interesting reading on the subject: http://www.tonyfoale.com/Articles/RakeEx/RakeEx.htm

pacomotorstuff said:
I musta been asleep regarding this thread - just read it this morning over coffee #2. Great build and XLNT result!
Your methodical resolution of your build issues is an inspiration to us all - and you've given us a ton of good fab ideas as well.
As someone who has had a Virago cafe project going long term (5+ years!!!) I admire your determination in getting the bike together, 'cause with these things, you're building it all yourself.
Virago wheel alignment on my XV920 (chain driver) has been a huge pain in the ass and one of the reasons I mothballed the project. When the wheels are lined up, the chain rubs (I'm running a 180 X18 rear), when the chain dunt rub, the wheel is offset - which just looks so goddamned weird. I even thought about shifting the motor to the left in the frame but what the hell, I'll do what you guys say and my machinist has been telling mef for over a year now - make sure the wheels are parallel, get the spacers for the wheel and sprocket made up and go ride the effing thing.
Opening this thread was serendipitous - hadn't talked to my brother in awhile, phoned him yesterday and one of the things we talked about was "getting that big effing red bike going" LOL.
Again, outstanding ride you've fabbed there - many happy riding miles ahead for you.
Regards,
Pat

Yes Pat,

I haf exactly the same "engineering mind" issues with my BMW Streetfighter and WAS in the process of relocating the engine mounts when I fortunately came across a BMW race engineer - who said - "it's all bollox" - in German of course!

BMW have been running their bikes [ Airheads then Bricks ] with as much as 1/2" / 5/8" offset.

Seemed really alien to me, but the OEM workshop manual actually specifies the offset.

Comon sense prevailed and I just went for it, absolutely no problems.

BMW use exactly the same frame and engine pick up points right through the range of rear wheel widths - from 3" to 5.5" ! Even with a little backspace [ 1/4" ] built into the larger wheels, there's NO way the wheel could be on the centreline wit a 2" wheel / tyre differential.

BTW - I've posted the Stafford Show details in the DTT/UK section.

TS - thanx for the MAC info.

When did you buy a 3 X 18 DID wheel from Buchannan's? They don't sale those, well not anymore.

CBPayne said:
When did you buy a 3 X 18 DID wheel from Buchannan's? They don't sale those, well not anymore.

Give them a call. I assume they can be ordered for you.

Great looking bike! I had a question on that exhaust - is that for the virago 920RJ? (Mac 804-1003) I've looked around and can't find anything like that for the 750, seems Mac only makes a 2 into 1 for the 920. I assume it would bolt up to the 750 just fine but I thought I'd ask!

Back
Top Bottom