1973 cb500 build

Re: 1973 cb500 build by a 17 year old

Havent heard from him in a while...maybe exams are keeping him out of the garage. Was hoping for more!!!

gijoe13844 said:
Havent heard from him in a while...maybe exams are keeping him out of the garage. Was hoping for more!!!
Well in a way you are right. My collar bone was a little more of a setback then I thought it would be this time around. I have gotten the carbs almost all rebuilt and the new tap for the sparkplug hole is here. I have been working a lot lately and I just had prom (money pit) but things should be going faster now. I still promise that I wont disappoint :D

Good deal...you working full time this summer or will you have time to finish?

Even if he is working full time this summer I am sure he will get this done. Nothing looks more BA than rolling up to school on the first day on the bike you spent all summer working on. In his mind, as soon as he steps off his bike and begins taking the helmet off Chariots of Fire will be playing in his head. ;D

gijoe13844 said:
Good deal...you working full time this summer or will you have time to finish?
No i will not be working full time. I will probly only be working 20 hours a week or maybe a little more. So i will have plenty of time to finish the bike.
reflexsilver said:
Even if he is working full time this summer I am sure he will get this done. Nothing looks more BA than rolling up to school on the first day on the bike you spent all summer working on. In his mind, as soon as he steps off his bike and begins taking the helmet off Chariots of Fire will be playing in his head. ;D
Damn right 8)

Okay so I know it's been a long time since I have posted but I got a job working 40+ hours a week over the summer and blah blah blah, im back with money and I have made some decent progress. I finished rebuilding the carbs a while back and took the bike in to get a a helicoil. Once the motor was running my dad helped me pull it and it shall sit until sunday when I am going to degrease/clean it. I have grinded off most of the useless tabs and put tape over the ones I know I will need. The seat pan is underway and shaped but still needs a mounting system and a little more trimming. The rear hoop is welded on (kinda sloppy but it was my fist time).

ebu4u7eq.jpg

ere8uvyb.jpg

guvejaza.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I also rebuilt the petcock and tried to line the tank but it's cracking and I'm really dissapointed because I did exactly what the instructions said.
azunuza4.jpg

What brand did you use? Redkote is really the only one that works IMO. You can get it at Reileys.

I used kreem. I don't really know what to do at this point. Can I get away with it being cracked for a while

The gas will get under it and probabbly peel it up...could clog your petcock or carbs.

I would remove it with acetone and clean it really really good. Use a degreaser and rust remover. Make syure they are dry and use Redkote.

Damn what a waste of 50 bucks. I even contacted kreem about it and they never responded. Ohh well.

For the seat pan I was thinking about mounting it by putting two bolts through the middle and into the cross member of the frame. It would be secured by 2 wing nuts under it for relatively quick removal. I've seen it done before but don't know if it's really sturdy enough for that

Well wrestling season has taken up most of my free time for the past few months but it's coming to and end and I need to start updating this more often. I have done a decent amount of work though, and hopefully I will get this thing riding before my 18th birthday.

My workspace as of now. It's the coldest winter I've ever experienced in Michigan and the garage isn't heated so I'm in the basement for now. The tubs below the bench are all full of parts both new and old.

9udabepa.jpg

The forks are disassembled and the tubes seem to have a lot of pitting. The rust was bad but came off in a day of soaking in evaporust.

Pics of fork tubes
sesy5u9e.jpg
before and after soaking in evaporust

The current challenge. How in the hell are these retainers supposed to come out of here? I know there is a special tool but you would think that there was some other way. I tried to grind down some U bolts to fit but it's hard to keep the hubs still while applying both downward and counter clockwise pressure. Plus the U bolts slip out because the fit is not perfect and the metal is so soft.
ra5ytuqe.jpg

Re: Re: 1973 cb500 build by a 17 year old

gijoe13844 said:
I'm over by Grand Rapids...it has been awful cold.
It's been a blessing and a curse because I can't work outside but my school has been closed 6 times just due to cold weather

Back
Top Bottom