'77 GS750B, "Hahn" Tankenstine.

Re: '77 GS750B, "Hahn" Stuck engine.

crossing my fingers you get that thing out. btw both inspiration pics are cool bikes. Im really starting to dig the look of the first one. Kinda reminds me of a Ducati Sport

Thanks mate. Hopefully my bike can turn out to be half as nice as those two. I would love to get a GS1100 Tank for this bike. That is the style I like but I think a 450 tank would be too small.

Aright so on to the pictures. I will start with the electrical so people can see what has happened to merit a new harness. I don't think this one is salvageable for the amount of effort require to make a new, more efficient version.
IMG_20130910_182128_993.jpg

Mmm, Rats nest

IMG_20130910_182053_082.jpg

Wonder if this has something to do with the electrical problems.

IMG_20130910_183607_281.jpg

Nevermind, here is the problem.

IMG_20130910_183817_785.jpg

This isn't needed anymore.

So tonight I was able to get stuck in and pull the engine. Here are the pictures of the progression and where I stopped. I have the lower case unbolted and just want to read up a bit more before I try to pull it off. Just in case there are internal bolts I cannot get to. If I cannot pull the bottom case off then I will have to go to my last resort, which I said I would not do... but it is looking like I might have to. A nice sharp hole saw over the piston crown...

Anyway pictures..
IMG_20130913_142707_123.jpg

Here is where I started thisarvo.

IMG_20130913_151828_530.jpg

Getting a bit more pulled off.

IMG_20130913_153412_009.jpg

And she is out. Man that thing weighs a ton.

IMG_20130913_173130_931.jpg

Up on the bench for the pull down

IMG_20130913_181357_030.jpg

This is as far as I got tonight, More tomorrow if I can get time.

Ewwwww....... definitely had some electrical "issues". I would save the connectors where you can and toss the rest of that copper vomit.

Congrats Brodie! You discovered why I don't own an inline 4......I like engines that can be lifted with one hand.

Thanks Rich, took me a while to get around to it because I knew it would be a pain in the arse. At least I can get it apart now, but by the looks of things the conrods don't unbolt at the bottom. You think I would have learnt by now that this bike will never give me the easy way out.

I will start work on the harness as soon as I grab the starter motor. Still need to get a few more plans together to make a decent diagram.

When I yanked the 750 engine out of my frame I put it down on its side and lifted the frame off the engine. I might be just a bit lazy 8)

Good to see another GS750 on here. I will definitely be keeping an eye on your build. I am a couple months away from pulling the engine on mine. Check out my build thread.

danejurrous said:
When I yanked the 750 engine out of my frame I put it down on its side and lifted the frame off the engine. I might be just a bit lazy 8)

Same here... much easier that way.Try it when it's time to install. Even esier if you have it stripped down to the bare frame. All the bolts drop in from the same side so you can snug them up then turn the frame back upright.

Brodie, Do you know for sure that nothing in the bottom end is locked up? Did you try rocking the bottom end back and forth? Seems like putting pressure on only one piston would be an easy way to make it fail. With no bolts on the bottom of the connecting rods, it looks like you need to get back on the top end. Good luck with it dude and dont give up, it'll come loose.

danejurrous said:

Oh...that. Shame on us all for never mentioning it ::) Especially since the GS750 was particularly heavy. Like...like really heavy!

Also, I'm deducting points for lack of lamp leads in the harness ;D

Re: '77 GS750B, "Hahn" STUCK NO MORE!

SHE IS FREE! I tripped out when I saw the piston move. Thought I was seeing things but sure enough it was moving. Took a lot of bashing to get it moving.
I cannot see where the rings start on the piston and the cylinder has a slight ring around it where the piston was stuck.
Now I can get on with things and pull it all the way down. First transmission I have done, I think that clymer is going to get a workout.

Now I can finally make a plan up for this bike and do some costing to see what it is going to do to my wallet.

Here we go. NEEDED:
New Piston: $40
New Rings Set: $100
Cylinder hone: $100
Cam Chain: $100
Gasket set: $100
Chain and sprokets (530 maybe?): $140

There is $580+postage.

Wanted:
Electrosport Rec/Reg: $100
Electrosport Stator: $120
Dynatek DS3-1 ignition: $145
Dynatek Coils: $145
4-1 Exhaust: $TBA
Tail hoop: $50
Roc City "Roadracer" seat: $130

Ideas:
piggyback shocks
antigrav 8cell
LED headlight
GS1100E Tank

Services: I need to find places that do these that don't want my soul in return.
Sodablasting cases
Sandblasting frame
Powdercoating

I have a few plans for this bike. Lots of them won't happen but would be cool. I was thinking of sticking a capacitor in where the starter motor was but I think I would get sick of kicking this bike fairly quick after working all day. Call me lazy but I like Estart.

Cant wait to see this project unfold. im doing a gs550 right now and really love the suzuki's. btw next time try some marvel mystery oil, thats how i got mine free.

Thanks mate. Do you have a build thread? I will have to check it out.

I would have tryed mystery oil but I can't get that over here. Long way to go yet but thingfs should move quick. I am going to crack out my homebuilt soda blaster tomorrow and have a go at the cases.

No not yet. Ill probably do one next winter when I really build it. Mine was litteraly running 6months before I got it from my buddy so I didn't have much trouble getting it unstuck and running. I figure ill get some parts stocked up and get ready for this next season and teear it down later.

Have you considered vapor blasting for the cases?

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=53266.0

I like the idea of that blasting

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I saw that thread. No chance at finding someone to do that in my city that doesn't want $200 to look at it. I am going to have a go at using my home built soda blaster. Worked alright on the head, I just ended up looking like I had been hit with a bag of flour.

As for the mystery oil, I will have to find someone to import the stuff. Might not even be able to considering Australia's laws.

IMG_20130914_102716_604.jpg

Hoosier Daddy said:
MMO is great shit... Should be a Ladies perfume!
I agree. Check the laws and ill send you some if you pay the shipping

Might do that Cut,

So after about half an hour of trying and failing with my soda blaster I decided to look around for someone else to do it. Found a bloke half an hour away that would do the whole engine for $200. Sounded alright to me so I drove out and had it done while I watched. Should really have taken a few more parts off the cases but some of the stuff I didn't even know was there because of the grime on top.
Here is the end result. Now I just need to give them a nice bath to clean all the soda off so that I can either paint or powder them

IMG_20130919_135935_076.jpg

Here is the before picture.
Na01Ehh1oUyXTs4vUJvoF71AP5ko2Y4TMGQFt13e8p0=w1024-h768-no

And as for the pictures from the last update here we go.

This is what the piston looked like once I had the cylinders unstuck.
CqHrBHikL2dyU-tyfUJt4HspXlJvAIFxOdmDL3s1eqg=w1024-h768-no

And here is the cylinder after a quick clean.
IMG_20130918_110021_241.jpg

After that I dove into the engine and was faced with my first ever transmission.
IMG_20130918_114401_981.jpg

Now I just need to save my pennies to get a full gasket kit and stick it back together.

Back
Top Bottom