'77 GS750B, "Hahn" Tankenstine.

Re: '77 GS750B, "Hahn" The painting continues.

Redliner said:
You get them jugs bored?

Nope. I just honed them. Bore will be later... I am thinking 850 cylinders with high comp 920 bore and a cam. Should move along alright after that.

damiansd said:
Nice piccies. I'll stop sooking now.

I won't. Where are these pictures of your nice polished engine??

You hammered the pistons out of there and probably have ridges larger than Walter Cronkite's jowls, and you're not going to bore to at least the next size up?

Consult a professional. I don't know if that's advisable.

Re: Re: '77 GS750B, "Hahn" The painting continues.

Brodie said:
Ok, I am at work so I can't downsize the picture. See if it works off my mobile

I have been debating what color to paint mine and I think you decided for me. I think I will still polish my caps though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Redliner said:
You hammered the pistons out of there and probably have ridges larger than Walter Cronkite's jowls, and you're not going to bore to at least the next size up?

Consult a professional. I don't know if that's advisable.

I plan on doing that. I was going to bore it out but honestly by the looks of it there is no problem. I spent quite a bit of time honeing the cylinder.

No sure if sarcasm or not. Damn you Red, now I am second guessing myself, again, is that third guessing? Dammit...

Ohh yeah and the shift shaft came in this arvo. It is bent, I could see that in the pictures before I bought it but compared to the other one it is perfect. I will take a picture side by side before I put the "new" one in.

Re: Re: '77 GS750B, "Hahn" The painting continues.

lonelywolf8588 said:
I have been debating what color to paint mine and I think you decided for me. I think I will still polish my caps though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Thanks mate, I am still undecided on the colour of the head, it looks great raw but, like Redbird, I am a sucker for redheads as well. So I am thinking a dark metallic red should do the trick.

As for the tank and seat I am thinking a gun metal grey. The frame should hopefully be around the same red as the head.

Ha, I need a new head if I hit the 1000 mark. I have been tossing up buying the 844 kit from wiseco but I think the extra grand required is well out of budget. I have a friend who is after my SR and I would rather have this bike running before I spend "un-needed" cash on it. One upgrade I have been looking into is dual front rotors, the B model did not come with them. There is a bloke over on the GSR that has a kit for dual CBR600 rotors with Twin Pot front calipers. That will be on the to do list straight after I have the bike on the road, I know that the stock breaks will not be enough.

I'm like you. I want the 844 kit but I'm building mine on a working man's budget and the 750 will be enough for what I need.

Ok so a quick update, I have been working my arse off of late, and as a gift to myself I bought a Dyna S and Dyna Coils from Dime City Cycle, and yes I did use the discount lol.

I started to put the engine back together yesterday when one of the bushings on the kick start shaft fell down inside the cases, to which I decided it was time to go fishing.

I am off into the garage again now to either put the engine back together or cut up the frame, have not decided yet.

So I bought a TR1 tank on the weekend.

Alright I have the gearbox back together now and I am moving on to getting the side cases and everything else on, after that I will weigh up my options for the size of the bore lol.
I will be ordering quite a few things once I get my tax money back, and yeah I know I am slack, but it is done now lol. On the list is a new stator and rec/reg.
Also needed is new clutch plates and springs, timing chain because I am an idiot and forgot to order it.... and depending if I can use the cylinders at the current size, 1 new piston. If I have to go up I will have to get new rings and pistons.

I will also be ordering a new seat from Roc City soon so that I can get the frame length sorted and start chopping away at it. The TR1 tank will be going in to work to get it to fit, I don't want to go wrecking a perfectly good tank..

Re: '77 GS750B, "Hahn" Gearbox done!

An entire page with no pictures?

Keep at it Brodie, it'll come together.....

Thanks Rich. Hmm pictures. Here is the new tank I mentioned earlier.

index.php

As for coming along I am at the stage of getting the cylinders sorted. I have been doing quite a lot of research this arvo and have come to the conclusion that .5mm OS pistons will be the best bang for buck.
I need to get the cylinders bored to remove the rust around where the cylinder was stuck, the engineering shop recommended getting a 1mm bore to make sure it was fine, they said I should be right with a half though. After searching the web for hours trying to find 1mm oversize pistons and rings I found that they are around the same price as the 844kit that wiseco offers.

So my current plan is to try and get the 1mm oversize for cheaper as I have already made a low offer on a set of pistons. If I cannot get those then I will be grabbing a set of .5mm OS and going from there.
As this will be cheaper than getting the 844 I will be able to get the engine sorted soon and put back together so that I can move on to the frame.

Ohh yeah, and a set of Tarozzi rearsets from Fast From The Past are looking quite nice right now.
09-0027.jpg

Thanks Crazy, that is only an hour away from me. I have not ordered them but I will check out the prices and see what they are like.

i ship alot of carb kits and some parts to oz so i know its expensive but.....

have a look at the price diff

http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/StoreFront

Well I know Fast price is $295 and postage. From what I can see Precision is $380+ postage. I think that Fast might still be cheaper.

Just curious about the piston / price dilemma : could you find standard pistons, rings, and a new cylinder for cheaper than OS stuff?

Back
Top Bottom