'Hamasaki' formerly known as the '82 KZ305 cafe racer - first build

Hey, just joined the forum to comment, can't wait to see pics of the finished product! I took a lot of inspiration from your build and while my KZ400 is slightly different, there are some design queues from your project that will help me decide which direction to go with.

Great work!!!

Brendan

Took her for a spin today. She's running a little rough which is to be expected. She's booked in for a tune up on Wednesday so hopefully she'll be running sweet after that. Here she is. Hamasaki.
7uquzasy.jpg
mapy2y6a.jpg
behy5a8y.jpg
ede4y9uj.jpg
a6ytyhag.jpg

Just stock size. They are pirelli city Demons. The only tyre I could get a matching pair the right size.

Dunedin, New Zealand. The photos are down the harbour at a place called Macandrew Bay, about a 20 minutes ride from my house at St Clair. It's a lovely twisty ride along the water front. The only downside is it's cold this far south. Let's hope we get a summer this year!

Here are my favorite shots from my photo shoot. I think this means I'm finished. I've been riding her to work every day. She goes good. Starts easy, idles nicely once warmed up. I've had her up to 130 kph and I think she has more but that is plenty. Handles better than before with the shortened front end. I would like some new rear shocks though as currently the back end is pretty stiff.
taneseny.jpg
4yge9ytu.jpg
ydyvaput.jpg
myvaba6y.jpg
7a2ypapy.jpg
udu6unud.jpg
ra3y2yvy.jpg
y8ypena5.jpg
surahy4a.jpg
hu8yjuma.jpg
3a4uhu9y.jpg
tudupuze.jpg
etu5y6eb.jpg

I didn't have a choice. The master cylinder is as close to the fork and clamp as possible. I even had to cut 20mm of the throttle twist grip! It feels comfortable and just misses the tank when on full lock.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

After 6 months and 500hrs work I'd have to admit I hoped for more than one comment from my so called peers in the global custom bike community so thanks for the comment Bigsherm! Maybe next time I should do a CB so I can fit in...

Rusty-

I agree.
We focus on our own builds and posting them, but we can encourage each other a lot more.
Let's do that.
It will catch on.

-Sherm

I've seen a few of these go by on CL, and thought it could be fun to do one. Your shot at it blows any of my ideas out of the water, very well executed. Don't know why, but the K in the seat is so cool and I love it

Thanks fellas. It's really fun to ride, feels race but not scary. Perfect for the daily commute - loves taking the long way home!

Exceptionally nice work. An unusual cohice, but obviously one that can be made into a very nice bike.

I was pretty green when I bought the bike. It was the first thing that came up for sale. It was 1000 nzd so I snapped it up. Then I found out about that kick up in the frame. It certainly made things more difficult but now I love the Kawa's. Thanks for the kind words!

Hey Rusty-

I don't know if you considered, it looks like if you flip the fork tube clamp portion of your clip ons over, that may give you the clearance at your brake reservoir to slide your controls in toward the center.

I like the feeling of narrower, tucked-in clip ons. It's not obvious, but there are always several possible configurations to install them. Every time I've installed a set, it has taken me several tries to figure out which way I want.

-Sherm

Actually Sherm, since you mentioned it I looked and saw that too. I had looked previously and not seen it. I might do it. Why do you think it's better? It feels reasonably natural for me cos I'm used to my Vespa and my mtb. Wide bars gives me good control... Do you think it dosen't look quite right? Anyone else have an opinion on this? I'm all ears!

Back
Top Bottom