'Hamasaki' formerly known as the '82 KZ305 cafe racer - first build

Re: '82 KZ305 cafe racer - first build

So I'll do something different back there. I can move the battery forward under the seat. It sits pretty nicely in there.
edy8ybe2.jpg

These cardboard cut outs were printed from Archicad, from the mock up designs I've been doing. They've fitted pretty well so far. Now confirmed 45mm to cut off the tail.
3eha4ene.jpg

Looks good from this angle. How do ya reckon the old rear fender looks tucked in there? Mounted to the swing arm with about 20mm clearance to the tire...
a7yhu5eh.jpg

I like the direction this is going. Subscribed for inspiration on my 305 build

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

In the big boys work shop today with Uncle Alan. Took 45mm out of the rear hoop and welded up some big fat tabs for the rear set mounts. Speaking of which. What kind of bolts are you turkeys running over there? It's supposed to be M10 but it's got a queer thread that doesn't match a proper M10. Could be 17/43rds but hard to know for sure!

uhetupy5.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Some progress this week. Box of stuff arrived from the U.S. I got the back chopped & re-welded, & some tabs for the rear sets. I've put some clamps on to get a feel for the riding position with my new clip-ons in place. Yep, I'm happy I got that right, feels racy & comfortable. I scored a big ole lump of polyurethane foam from some mates at Advanced Fibreglass and started carving. That stuff is awesome! So easy to work but messy as hell!

Old School Speed tell me their bolts could be one of 3 types! My next step will be glassing or maybe some more polishing - so many options...

Attachments

• IMG_1375.jpg
    IMG_1375.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 911
  • IMG_1377.jpg
    IMG_1377.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 899
  • IMG_1380.jpg
    IMG_1380.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 972
  • IMG_1383.jpg
    IMG_1383.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 969
  • IMG_1384.jpg
    IMG_1384.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 890
  • IMG_1386.jpg
    IMG_1386.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 971
  • IMG_1388.jpg
    IMG_1388.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 914
  • IMG_1389.jpg
    IMG_1389.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 978

I like the thought process and design of the seat setup. Keep on going.

Really like where you're headed here. I'm interested to see what you end up doing with this bike's challenging geometry. Keep on posting!

I talked to Kev at the local Kawasaki dealer, he was always going to do my valve seals, he's gonna take a look at the rings too while he's in there. He's also gonna do my carbs, do the ultra sonic cleaning thing and re jet. Basically he's gonna take ownership of tuning the engine and getting it running sweet. All of that stuff is probably beyond my skill level so that works!
I'm removing side covers for polishing. Everything is stuck together with gasket goo. Any tips on getting this piece off? Note: I have all the screws out.
utupubev.jpg

I've always used 3M's green bristle disc for removing gaskets from aluminum. Doesn't harm or remove aluminum from the surface. Can be used on air angle grinder/die grinder.

6RX76_AS01

PDF of product

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UF6EVsSyXTtnXf2oxMEEVtQEVs6EVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=Roloc%20Bristle%20Disc.pdf

Sorry maybe I didn't explain myself clearly. I need to get the left side (stator) cover off. Essentially its glued on with gasket glue. I'm thinking a large flat bladed screw driver anywhere I can get some purchase then lever that with what ever works. So if that doesn't work I'm not sure how else to do it hence the request for tips...

I haven't seen one of those 3m thingy's here but I'll look out for one, thanks

Engine minus side covers. Nice and clean in there. Off to mechanics for valve seals and rings.

u3eve4as.jpg
3yhemymy.jpg

The top covers are badly rusted & pitted. I'll get to work on them. The rest will be ultra sonic cleaned ready for re jet for pods. Holes in 1 diaphragm, hundred bucks for a new one! Pricey!
rujapu5a.jpg

All my polished bits from the last week or so. I've gone for a satin finish. Not really into mirror look. Over all my build will be "sharp but tough"
a7e9ubu8.jpg
pumu5y2y.jpg

The bike as she hangs today. Preparing for stage 2 fabrication is next in the garage de café.
2a5ura5u.jpg

Very nice. What's your plan for wheels/tires

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I've just ordered some Shinko 712's 100/90/18 front 130/90/16 rear. The rear will be very close to the belt so might have an issue there. I plan to rattle can the hubs and spokes semi-gloss black, mask and polish the chrome rims. I'm just not sure about the prep work yet. I'm gonna try Septone Ali bright to clean up the hubs and may still need to de-rust the spokes by hand. There is also the soda blast option for the hubs.

Sorry die-cast was meant to read de-rust.

Tried out the old indicators straight into the headlight trick. Looks good but not much thread for the bolt on the inside. I put the old speedo in there too for a sneak peek. The new one I've ordered is about 30mm smaller both way so should tuck in there nicely. And a cheeky side on shot too so I can feel like I'm making progress.
3a4yzydy.jpg
yde9eme5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom