1977 Suzuki GS750: classic, minimal, with a hint of modernization

Re: 1977 Suzuki GS750, first bike, first post, no name yet.

Yes sir, just did so, and I also put you down as my referee, if that helps any lol. Thanks for the link, plenty of reading to do there, should be quite invaluable.

Those were the same handle bars that were on my bike when I bought it, the bolts hit the tank, it might have been due to a bad install, but there might be a clearance issue. I just put on some clubman bars that I got off amazon for about $35 shipped, they clear everything just fine. Mine is an 82 GS650L, you might not have the same problems. How much did those bars run you just out of curiosity?

Hey sorry for the delay, I have been working non stop lately, but that means more build funds! Anyway, the bars set me back $85 shipped, the left side bolts hit the tank, I just had to rotate them out slightly so the forks hit the steering stop before the bolt hit the tank.

Right now, I am trying to desire what to do next. I need to sit down and make a list of the things I need to do first. I am thinking I am going to do a valve job first. So I am gonna get a feeler gauge, measure and then get the valve tool and shims from Z1.

Also, I have decided to throw caution to the wind and try my hand at some UNI pod filters, i figure worst case I have to throw the stock airbox back on, and kick myself a couple times.

Just got my wiring harness from Sparck Moto. Kick only, RFID, LED provisions and Li-ion battery provisions. Worth every penny and the wait. When we move into our new place next month I will have a garage, and will finally get to properly start this build.

image by macbethpoe1, on Flickr

I have one of these I have restored (mostly) but is still waiting for her customization treatment. Excited to watch your build. Best of luck...these are fantastic bikes in my humble opinion. Enjoy!

Update:

Started tearing some of the bike down. Getting ready for complete electrical overhaul, and a few other odds and ends that will finalize this iteration of the bike. Hoping to get it in good running order for the remainder of the season, then this winter will bring full dismantle, painting of everything, and new wheels (just hoops) and tires.

On to the pictures, and further description to follow.

bike-3.jpg by macbethpoe1, on Flickr
Stance is getting much better, raised the rear of the tank ever so slightly, and hope to raise the rear of the bike a bit as well. I MAY drop the triples into the forks a bit, but if handling suffers that will change.

bike-4.jpg by macbethpoe1, on Flickr
Still debating whether to stick with 4-2, or go 4-1. And will be getting slightly bigger wheels for slightly wider tires, especially in rear, will have to figure out something with the disk brake hub stay tube.

bike-2.jpg by macbethpoe1, on Flickr
Hope to shorten the fender soon.

bike-6.jpg by macbethpoe1, on Flickr
Some of the electrics that were removed.

Have been ordering parts like crazy, so far: stator, regulator/rectifier, Ballistic 8 cell battery, Dyna S ignition, Dyna 5 ohm coils, Trailtech Vapor Gauge, and of course Sparck Moto custom harness.

Still on the docket: custom Cognito Moto top triple clamp, sending mine out Tues for template. If you haven't seen his triple clamps, go look, they are beautiful.
Going through carbs again, ordered o-rings from cycleorings.com, as well as manifold gaskets, and some SS bolts.
Other odds and ends such as new front master cylinder/lever, clutch lever, headlight, indicators etc.

Possibly the biggest thing I need to do is check valve clearances and re-shim, as I feel a lot of the little problems I was having will be fixed by this.

So, that's it for now! Will have updates soon I hope of some of this stuff actually coming together! Have a good one.

Re: 1977 Suzuki GS750: classy, minimal, with a hint of modernization

Question:

Checked valve clearances tonight, specification is 0.03-0.08mm, the worst numbers I got were a couple 0.09's and one 0.02. To be honest, with the way it was running before tear down I was hoping for worse numbers for easy diagnoses. But for my question, is 0.01mm something any of you would really even worry about?

BTW, the cam lobes and shims, and everything under the valve cover for the matter basically looked brand new. That made me happy.

.02mm is only 3/4 of a thousandth of an inch that is pretty tite
and the valves being slightly out of spec wont effect how it runs so much as to be an issue you are looking for

are you sure the spec you stated is not .003-.008", inches that is, not metric ?

My maintenance manual specifies 0.03-0.03 MILLIMETERS. So, I hope I did it right haha. Pretty sure I did though.

You'll probably find you can swap those shims around to get all the valves back in spec.

A too small valve clearance is more of a concern that a too large one.

Macbethpoe said:
My maintenance manual specifies 0.03-0.03 MILLIMETERS. So, I hope I did it right haha. Pretty sure I did though.
man that is tight .03mm is only just over a thou i have never seen valves on anything spec'd with such tight running clearance especially a larger valve like you have in that there 8 valver

Wow great idea on swapping valves, glad someone is thinking outside the box lol.

Xb33, what is an example of clearance specs for one of your bikes? Just curious, this is my first time doing any of this stuff so I just took it at face value and assumed it was normal.

Just swap the shims - don't swap anything else (like the shim buckets).

Mac - generally you'll want the valve clearances on the looser side (or even beyond that spec by a little bit).

As the engine warms up, you valve clearance tightens up, and as you rack up miles the clearances tighten up even more.

Macbethpoe said:
Wow great idea on swapping valves, glad someone is thinking outside the box lol.

Xb33, what is an example of clearance specs for one of your bikes? Just curious, this is my first time doing any of this stuff so I just took it at face value and assumed it was normal.

anywhere from .002-.008" depending on the bike, but like the others said swapping shims is a way to do it you may get lucky
the tight one you have is the worry i woont worry about the one on the high end
last time i needed shims on my TL1000 i went to the suzi dealer and he traded me straight across

From memory the screw and locknut tappets on the later 4 valve Suzis were 3 thou inlet and 4 thou exhaust. Pretty sure a shim over bucket would be closer, but 1 thou sounds tight.

on another note you cant always see the size marking on the used shims having a micrometer is a plus

Yeah I plan on picking a micrometer up soon. And thanks for all the input guys. I will get the tight clearance cleared up, and move on to the real problem/headache: my carbs

Update:

Been working on getting my carbs looking good, and replacing orings, fasteners and some jets. I also purchased an angle grinder and started going to town on some tabs and the rear of the frame, oh man that was fun! Also started making my seat, most of my parts from this last order came in as well. Here's some pictures:

Here are the parts I have received so far. Very excited to see the gauge on the bike, it's very small, simple and full of features.

_MG_3292.jpg by macbethpoe1, on Flickr

Can't wait to see how the electronic ignition works out. Oh and the Balistic battery is SO small and light, pictures don't do it justice.

_MG_3285.jpg by macbethpoe1, on Flickr

Frame cut! It took a while to work up the courage to make that first cut haha. Want to figure out a way to close the boxed section off to prevent rust.

_MG_3276.jpg by macbethpoe1, on Flickr

Started making the seat. So far it's going great, and I am really enjoying it. So glad I didn't just purchase one. I am first going to shape the base, fiberglass it to make a brat style seat. Once that's complete I will take the base and add additional foam to form a cowl, and then glass that to make a cafe seat. My goal is to have both style seats, easily removeable so my wife can ride when she wants to.

_MG_3279.jpg by macbethpoe1, on Flickr

_MG_3280.jpg by macbethpoe1, on Flickr

The back is not formed yet because my hoop has not yet arrived. Should be here in a few days, then after that is welded up and in place I will continue on with forming the foam.

Also awaiting my top triple clamp from Cognito Moto, I can not wait to see that thing in person. Anyway, hopefully will have more updates on the seat process here soon. Thanks for lookin!

Back
Top Bottom