First ever cafe build progress report

I felt the seat I was going to use had to be raised off the frame in order to follow the line of the gas tank. I cut some PVC pipe and taped them together and then taped it to the frame as a template. I also thought it would also stiffen up the frame since I wasn't going to weld a hoop on. I think it will work out ok. Really need to get back on track and finish this project. I think it will be a stunning bike when I'm done (fingers crossed!).

P.S. A friend of a friend welded some tube to the frame, following the template. He was an awesome welder and made these cool down turned bends on each end of the tubes and then welded them. It looks factory, I swear. The best part is that he charged me $0.00! He tried to show me how to weld, but I think he was getting frustrated with me! Ha! I was able to weld some tabs to the frame that (for side covers), IMHO, look pretty freakin' great for a first timer! So, I drilled and tapped 4 holes on top of the newly welded tubing. I still have to find some socket button head screws (more low profile and smooth round heads.

I ended up cutting the "seat" off of my bump then widening the seat to fit over my frame rails. I then cut the back off of a stock seat pan and I will rivet on the bump to my pan when I'm happy with the fitment.

couple of questions....

1. when u put your clip ons on, do the bolts that hold up the clip hit the tank at full lock?
2. did u ever find out about those pod filter shrouds?

The bolts do not hit, but my switches do! So, I'm going to play around with the clip-on position, like moving them forward a bit. The filter shrouds are purely for aesthetics. They do not create any vacuum. If I can not jet correctly, I will try to scrape up enough money to do a GSXR carb swap like the one just completed on a member's build diary.

I'm wondering what kind of light setup your doing on the seat. I plan to do the same when the time comes. Are you making the light array or did you find someplace on the net? Could you post a rear picture? It all looks great.

I really wanted the clip ons :( but the clubmans will have to do..

I really hate these carbs tuning is a nightmare... The gsxr flatslide carb swap will do wonders in the tuning department though. Wat main and pilot are u running right now?

Juggernaut said:
I'm wondering what kind of light setup your doing on the seat. I plan to do the same when the time comes. Are you making the light array or did you find someplace on the net? Could you post a rear picture? It all looks great.

I planned on using a flexible LED strip, but unfortunately, it couldn't handle the "V" in the seat. I then decided to french in a round tail light... Until I found this a few days ago, that is. I would now like to continue with the LED's!
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=14127.110

I didn't have the balls to do it. I bought another from ebay! :-D It was dented up some, but it had the tabs cut off. Anyway, I didn't feel so bad taking a mallet to it. If it turns out OK, which I have no reason to think it won't, I'll sell my original. I should get some decent money out of it as it is stripped down to the bare metal and is dent free.

UPDATE: I had to rethink my shift and brake levers! Arghhhh!!! After finally getting the proper linkages, suspicions that my 1/4" thick levers flexed way too much were realized. I felt they would fold in no time. I loaded up the big CB and took it to the machine shop that cleaned up the original levers to seek their opinion. So, in the end, I have decided to have a set made of 1/2 thick stock with the addition of an adjustable arm. Lightening holes will not be machined all the way through, more like pockets. I hope these will look as good as the originals as it was the lightening holes that made them pop. I was really proud of them and the fact that they didn't look like other levers I'd seen. Oh well, live and learn, eh?

IMG_3501.jpg

Shifter side

Brakelever-linkage.jpg

Brake side

IMG_3503.jpg

The always great quartering shot.

Not much. I've been finishing up the Buell XB983R project because that is the build that suddenly took off this spring. As for the DOHC, I just got my rear sets back from machining this morning. I've been fondling them for about 10 min when I saw this reply! :-D Rear sets have been a stumbling block, besides scraping up money, that is. See, I tried to fab up my own and they just never turned out right. I had to go to my local machine shop to make up a custom set. This is not a cheap endeavor, to say the least. The only way to recoup my money is if I have 10 of these sets made up to sell. Anyway, this marks round two of tweaking the levers and I can't wait to get home to fit them. I should have the tank smoothed and ready to primer next week. Other problems is finding either a 19" 36 hole rear wheel or an 18" 40 hole front wheel in order to have a matching set. May have to go to aftermarket (read expensive). I also decided to modify a spare swing arm to raise the rear ride height a bit and weld some bungs to accept some race spools. One way or another, I'm going to get the stance of this thing right. I've already shortened the forks 2" and still had to drop them through the triples. Front end still way too high. The swing arm is off a cb 900 and has needle bearings as opposed to my stocker having zero bearings! Should offer a more precise ride.

Cool, on my 750 rather than welding bungs on for spools I merely drilled and tapped 8mm holes ahead of the rear axle as there is lots of meat there and it made for a clean look with my spools. Don't have any new pics up on my blog - maybe I'll get around to that later today.

I really love the red frame, looks super clean!

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom