YZF750/1000R - The Fly 5

Haven't ridden this bike much this past summer. Fixed the water pump and one or two other minor adjustments and it sat a bit while I played with the KLR and the ZRX. I tried to start it up today and it pissed fuel all over itself. Probably time to pull the carbs for another look. I never tried to sync them and I remember they need that too. I have been collecting new bits and thinking about this sexy beast a lot more lately.

The new bits.

Its a YEC style cable actuated assembly to replace the hydraulic slave cylinder. I have the cable and I found a nice lever assembly from an R1 which will let me keep my purple lever. Enough racers all say it's a better feel on the clutch lever so I wanted one for my build. This is from Vinco Racing over in the Netherlands.
yzf_cablemodsetup.jpg

Last edited:
That's the first time I've seen that. There are a lot of cable to hydraulic conversions out there. Interested to hear about the differences first hand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

clem said:
That's the first time I've seen that. There are a lot of cable to hydraulic conversions out there. Interested to hear about the differences first hand.

I won't get it on there right away. I'm elbows deep in Commando stuff right now. As far as the YZF goes, I may use this setup on the original yzf chassis I got to build into the 1000 beast.

I fired up the YZF today to see how it would wake up. It took some ether but once running, carb 3 was pissing fuel out of the float bowl gasket so off they came. I have a new set of oem bowl gaskets on the way and I'll give them a good cleaning while they are off. I never did get around to syncing them last summer. They are a pain because there aren't air nipples on the 1994' version of the intake manifolds. I bought a set from a 97' awhile back but never got around to putting them so I got them installed today with fresh oem gaskets. 4 nipples. It'll be much easier to get the sync hoses setup now. I've got a set of the hoses on one of my parts bikes.
yzf_newintakes.jpg

Last edited:
So I cleaned up the carbs, installed new bowl gaskets and got the carbs back on the bike finally.
yzf_carbs done.jpg

Last edited:
Then I finished cleanup on the pipe and did a new V&H badge. I broke the lower spring so I have a few on order.
yzf_shinypipe_carbs done.jpg

Last edited:
So.....when I fired it up.....coolant leaks from several places..... faaaaaaaakk.. but it ran well and no fuel leaks.
yzf_waterleaks.jpg

Last edited:
Argh. I hates the leaks. Bt so happy it fired and ran nice.

There just isn't any good spot for carbs.

I can't help eyeballing the bling for this bike. A dude is selling a set of unobtanium factory magnesium TDM38 carbs and a YEC factory carbon fibre airbox, bell mouths, etc.. all for about $2500. (not bad for what you get) which is only about $2k higher than my current budget and more than I paid for the whole bike. But OH the sexy!!
52420876_10157012033941684_7386989349893570560_n.jpg

Last edited:
irk miller said:
Make your own airbox. That is a pretty simple shape.

I've considered it. I'll need to get much better with fiberglass than I currently am to accomplish it. That and I'm highly attracted to oem YEC bits...

Back
Top Bottom