Brake swap in desperate need of help!

StreetShark

I need to swap the front brake on my 1978 kawi kz200. The OEM brake is cable operated, which is... crap, but it stopped the little kz well enough. I was going to clean it and put it back on, but in the process I managed to BREAK my BRAKE.

I don't want to swap the entire front end because it has already been completely rebuilt and polished. I would really like to just get a new caliper on there.

So, I think these are my best options:

The front brake off of a kawi 750 twin looks like it could be a direct swap. Does anyone know if it will bolt to the fork?

Here is the 750
user_13495_dscn4703.jpg

Here is a kz200
007.jpg

My other option would be to find a brake off of a bike like the ninja 250 and have a bracket made to make it fit. Ive just never done anything like that. I think the rotor width between the two bikes is the same. What else would I need to consider?

Obviously I would need to add a master cylinder. Maybe I would need new controls? Then I would have to worry about all the wiring a throttle cables linking up. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

s-l1600.jpg

a friend of mine swapped over a cable brake for a hyd one off a KZ250 single, it was still crap but at least it was better than the original one, the advantage was that the cable/wiring all matched straight up being from a similarly sized small kwaka. if you change to a hyd set up you will have to change your throttle/brake control as from memory the brake lever mount is cast into the back of the throttle

you could always consider doing a bit of research to see what bigger discs fit the mounting holes in your hub (usually another small to mid sized kwaka but a newer model), get the disc, m/cyl and caliper, mount that using a bracket you're going to need to make to mount the ninja one anyway. it never hurts to go for the biggest brakes you possibly can ( I replaced the rubbish on my Vmax with R1/hayabusa stuff)

you'll then need an aftermarket throttle (ebay) and switches (ebay again and you could always use mini/custom stuff)'

all in all a fair bit of screwing round but it'll improve the bike beyond belief and isn't screwing round with your bike what this sites all about

or....search round for another KZ200 cable caliper and go back to browning your pants everytime someone pulls out in front of you

well the kz400 and kz750 bikes from the late 70 have bigger discs that might fit.

Ill have to post pics because this brake seems pretty unusual.

Back
Top Bottom