Project Shinjimei- 73 TX500

two-smoker said:
32mm..... That's a big sucker.....

If you don't have them already, you will be happy when you do. I got all those odd large sizes a while back, it's worth it when you realize you are 1 or 2mm shy of having the correct one, and that huge adjustable wrench doesn't cut it. Love the progress so far!

This is very interesting, especially to me as I am building an XS500, or at lest I have one that is apart and sitting in my garage. Watching this and really liking what you have done so far. I did not see mention of what rear sets you used?

The rearsets were on page 3. I took them off an 87 Hurricane 600. I needed to move the sidestand forward 3 inches to use them, cuz my toe wouldn't clear, and I did have to weld some brackets into the "v" of the frame.

Well, I finally ordered the last bits that I don't have to make or modify: the chain and left handlebar switchgear. I originally planned to use toggle switches for high beam and turn signal functions, and I do have them if I still go that way, but my plan to use a squeeze-bulb horn was stupid. Electric horn with a button it is. I have quite a bit of work to do with wiring, and nailing down my system for anchoring the brake calipers (plus odds and ends like making front fender mounts, and getting the bar-end signals to fit IN the bars...) But things are progressing. I'm really hoping to have her rideable by June, because Rockerbox is now being held at the same time and place as the AHRMA races I always go to, not the usual August date.....

I've been dragging my feet a little due to the cold, but I had to do something. What I'm left with is this:
IMAG003_edit_1394224806452.jpg

In my haste to get the new wheels on, I apparently forgot how difficult it is to swap sprockets without a chain around the old one. You know, to keep it from spinning when you try to loosen the nut. So I figured: why not weld a piece of steel to the sprocket for the same result? Attempt one did not work. The piece of steel isn't thick enough, and my cheap_ass Harbor Freight welder can't penetrate the sprocket. On to attempt number two!

If you have the old chain just wrap it around the front and back . Take safety wire to close the loop and see if that works ?

The old chain is long gone.... I tried the new one, but it's a 520 so it won't grab. I'm thinking I might have a chain wrench somewhere, though....

good looking project
the rear brake arm is under some pretty extreme compression mounted topside like that, it needs to be stout and straight, that brake pedal won't do,too flexy, used as shown it will crash you when it folds up under some brake chatter and the wheel locks or worse
why not hang the caliper down and use a torque arm under tension ?

The caliper I have is from the same bike as the hub- it was meant to be mounted on top. I had my concerns about the brake pedal torque arm flexing, I'll admit, but I figured: it's strong enough to hold my weight, and I never use the rear brake. Mainly, the brake pedal is only a template for something stronger. I need the curvature to clear the shock. I suppose I could run a mono-shock and use the torque arm from the Ninja 250 I got the swingarm off of....
Or, I could focus on the front brake, which I actually use.

two-smoker said:
The caliper I have is from the same bike as the hub- it was meant to be mounted on top. I had my concerns about the brake pedal torque arm flexing, I'll admit, but I figured: it's strong enough to hold my weight, and I never use the rear brake. Mainly, the brake pedal is only a template for something stronger. I need the curvature to clear the shock. I suppose I could run a mono-shock and use the torque arm from the Ninja 250 I got the swingarm off of....
Or, I could focus on the front brake, which I actually use.
as a template will be fine , don't underestimate the usefullness of the rear brake
if you are riding on the street you should to learn how to use both brakes

Lol. I'm aware of the usefulness of the rear brake, especially in loading the front suspension before a turn, I just have never had a bike that had a rear brake worth using. Looking at how tiny this thing is, I don't figure this one will be any different. Mostly , I'm just a stubborn asshole and don't take constructive criticism well . Lol.

there nice if you have t layer down ;D
when into harder braking,while turning,i like to use pretty heavy rear brake along with the front brake on my street rides, if i leave a little reserve with the front, i find it can come in handy for those suprises that pop upon the street,if that makes any sense :-\
in other words if i need to really cramp on the front maybe even stand it up a little having the rear already under braking seems to keep things inline better

IMAG0037.jpg

I finally took the time to run up to Harbor Freight and grab a cheapie electric impact gun, and spun the front sprocket off... The new one doesn't look too different, other than obviously being thinner to fit the 520 chain as opposed to the original 530. But when laid on top of each other.....
IMAG0038.jpg

You see the new sprocket is 2 teeth or so bigger than what was on the bike. Guess the original owner wanted some more zip, because I'm running the original 17/43 gearing.
IMAG0040-1.jpg

Of course, the point of this exercise is this: new sprocket and chain installed. I'm functioning brakes and wiring away from a complete motorcycle. Er.... Well.... One I can ride anyway...

Time to buy more Alcohol and happy pills ... It almost tuning time ;D

IMAG004_edit_1396066699027.jpg

Minimal progress. The weather has still been too cold to be outside for more than a few minutes at a time. I got a start on my aluminum chain guard, and I started hacking up the original wiring harness so I can keep the charging system, but eliminate everything else. Until next time....

Back
Top Bottom