WTB XS1100 Special Leading Axle FRONT END

johngofast

Over 1,000 Posts
Title says it. Needs to be a leading axle fork. Wanting to change the rake on my xs650 and upgrade a bit.

Let me know what ya got.

I have 79 Special front end. I would want to sell the entire front end with brakes. Sounds like that is what you want?

I have one from an XS750, which I believe is the same.....leading axle, comes with brakes. I might even be able to provide a wheel with rotors if you're interested. I'd have to look for all of it if you want

i dont know what you are going to do with it but on my xs1100 (and i am a little fluffly)

its a limp noodle front end even with a fork brace it flops around corners when braking hard

cxman said:
i dont know what you are going to do with it but on my xs1100 (and i am a little fluffly)

its a limp noodle front end even with a fork brace it flops around corners when braking hard

I agree. I have one because I put a GSXR inverted front end on mine, custom made an axle and triple trees te retain near stock trail and stock wheel, and then adapted honda RC51 rotors to the stock wheel.....I anticipate it being a MAJOR improvement. Been trying to source some used Kawasaki ZRX1100/1200 rear shocks to pair with it.

Fork brace and Progressive wound springs and you will be fine. The specials handle better than the standards ironically.

well i cant say as it feels fine lol

i put new shinko 230s on it did the brakes with kevlar pads drilled the rotors and re surfaced them

put a new 17mm master cylinder and a t cat fork brace and progressive front springs andnew seals with 20 wt belray

i hit a corner a little fast not paying attention lol (i was trying my new carb system out) and had to climbe on the brakes or go way to wide

and hit the ditch and i could feel the front tire deflect and mush i got thru the corner ok but i wont ever push it like that till i swap the front end

I guess I don't ever feel the same....I've hit corners at 80+ on my special, corners I would never attempt that same speed on my old cb900 and I have had zero handling problems. You may need to look into other potential problems.

i have a 82 cb900 custom and once i put the fork brace on it its good and with the twin piston calipers way better braking then my excess

what i did find is that the fork brace i got from tcat is not actually clamping to the fork lower on one side properly

so it is letting the forks twist so i will mill 10 thou off either side of the clamp rest and then see if it is compressing around the lower

i am only having the problem on hard braking and not during any normal driving or cornering

I only ever nice had an issue on a hard braking corner and it turned out that my air assist front shocks had a leak in the left fork. I fixed the leak, balanced the air pressure and it seemed to help. Maybe worth looking at. And thank god the xs air system is simpler than the cb cross feed system.

Back
Top Bottom