1949 Ducati Cucciolo T2 - Stalled for the time being...

Re: 1949? Ducati Cucciolo T2 - Back to the clean up...

Wmatt said:
Pete
Have you seen the piece on one of these in ClassicBike issue 388? page 78
Looks pretty similar
Cheers

If that's the one on the lady's bicycle, then yep :)

That's a T1 though I'm pretty sure which is one model earlier than this one...

I *may* have a lead on drum brakes front and rear and some forks... need to make a call today... if so that will get me so far along... but I really need to get the blasting side of things sorted soon...

Well the guy who may be able to help me with brakes and forks is going to check out his storage shed this week and get back to me. Fingers crossed he has something and he doesn't want an arm and a leg for 'em...

In the meantime, seeing as I can't really do anything yet, I did a mock up of what I'm thinking for paint and I stuck some decals on that are available on eBay as well and I think they're right for the age of the Malvern Start too.

MockUp1-BlueandWhite.jpg

In reality I'll probably go for a darker blue, navy or royal blue most likely.

Brother that looks so cool with all of the parts mounted and the blue looks really nice! I can not wait to see her when she is finished!

Pete - the latest issue of 2Wheels has a mention of a 1953 Malvern Star 'AutoByke". No pictures unfortunately.
Apparently it had a 98cc Villiers two-stroke with a two-speed gearbox.

The bike is held in the collection of Scienceworks in Victoria but is not on display.
When I'm in Melbourne in about a month's time I will try to get to see it and take some photographs.

The Cucciolo is looking great!

Crazy

item.JPG
item.JPG

joeyputt said:
Brother that looks so cool with all of the parts mounted and the blue looks really nice! I can not wait to see her when she is finished!

Cheers Joe! I really wish I could get some time and funds to get into her though... very frustrating at the moment just looking at her...

Hoosier Daddy said:
Looking Good pal!

Cheers HD, I think that paint job will work :)

stroker crazy said:
Pete - the latest issue of 2Wheels has a mention of a 1953 Malvern Star 'AutoByke". No pictures unfortunately.
Apparently it had a 98cc Villiers two-stroke with a two-speed gearbox.

The bike is held in the collection of Scienceworks in Victoria but is not on display.
When I'm in Melbourne in about a month's time I will try to get to see it and take some photographs.

The Cucciolo is looking great!

Crazy

Yes they did indeed make them! They're rare as rocking horse poo though which is a real pity because they have a girder fork front end, and being Malvern Star I reckon there's a more than fair chance it would bolt onto my frame...

If you manage to get some photos that would be awesome :)[/quote]

I've got a price for front and rear drum brakes for the wheels... $80 for a used front in good condition and $150 for a NOS rear... brand new but 50 years old...

So far it looks like the bicycle component of this will be far more expensive than the engine component...

Gotta try and get some funds together because if I don't buy those drums from this guy I have no idea where I'm going to find them...

The big problem there is the rear tyre on the 450 is getting a little low on tread...

Nahhhh.. it's because the damn thing hasn't quite turning since he finished the bike!
;)

ProSimex said:
Lay off the burnouts and general hooliganism?

Haha now why didn't I think of that? ::)

Hoosier Daddy said:
Nahhhh.. it's because the damn thing hasn't quite turning since he finished the bike!
;)

You could be onto something there HD ;)

I just wish it wasn't just the centre... have been twisty searching as much as time allows but commuting just kills it...

Pete - I've been in contact with Scienceworks; it looks like I will be able to see their '53 Malvern Star (and the rest of their motorcycle collection).

I'll be in Melbourne late in September - when I return I will post any photos that I get.

Crazy

stroker crazy said:
Pete - I've been in contact with Scienceworks; it looks like I will be able to see their '53 Malvern Star (and the rest of their motorcycle collection).

I'll be in Melbourne late in September - when I return I will post any photos that I get.

Crazy

Thanks Crazy, that'd be awesome!

On the progress side, still none at the moment as work is insane, have some ridiculously tight deadlines.

I've also been distracted by the fact I really need a shed to do the blasting and spraying in this time around and it looks like that'll be able to start later this year after moving the existing garden shed and the side fence. I have some ambitious ideas for it...

I also have a pair of drum brakes on their way, should be here early next week.

Still struggling to find suitable forks though.

Good news on the drums!
Work has a habit of getting in the way of the important things.

Crazy

stroker crazy said:
Good news on the drums!
Work has a habit of getting in the way of the important things.

Crazy

It does indeed! I'm fighting some seriously tight deadlines at the moment which means I've had to break my policy of not doing work stuff at home aside from on call... gotta do it though.

On the plus side it's distracting me from being in that awkward spot where I can't really do anything anyway...

I'm definitely looking forward to the arrival of the drums though, they should be here early this week.

First of all the curiosity factor... this little gem didn't last too long at all on the 'Bay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item1c2ab6334e&item=120975668046&nma=true&pt=AU_Motorcycles&rt=nc&si=zqqvQn94IiukoaP9LFQgXGiLARU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_500wt_1203

It confirms that it's pointless holding out for the front end off one of those as there's no way it's gonna work with 28" wheels!

Now for the fun bit for me...

2012082701.jpg

2012082703.jpg

Front drum used but in good condition, manufactured October 1965 if I read the date correctly.

2012082702.jpg

2012082704.jpg

Rear drum is NOS and manufactured in May 1946 if I read it correctly.

I really need to get the wheels dismantled and cleaned up... well... that and a lot of other things ::)

What I really need is my shed built and lots of time...

I'm still having zero luck with forks. One pair showed up on eBay and looked good going by the pictures, but the seller just doesn't answer questions so I couldn't confirm the rake or leg length... item has ended, not re-listed, and not one reply to my messages...

I have however discovered an awesome bit of work over on the cycling forum where someone took some triple clamp style forks and made up what is effectively a dual shock springer front end with some mountain bike shocks.

The way it's going with the fork hunt I'm seriously thinking that I may need to concede that one area to being non-authentic from the era and making something up. Given the era though, making something is still probably in the right spirit....

Here's a link to it on the forum:

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=42961

And his build elsewhere:

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=39628

Re: 1949 Ducati Cucciolo T2 - Scored Some Brakes!

AJWatUC said:
cool bike cant wait to see it when its done

Thanks mate, still nothing doing at the moment unfortunately... currently hunting a set of forks and I may have a lead on a pair. Might not have to revert to making my own springer setup which would ruin the authenticity of the restoration...

Haven't been on here in a while and unfortunately no progress to report at the moment.

Bought a pair of forks off eBay but not getting too excited as I have no idea if they're right or not... the measurements look like they might be ok but I'll wait and see.

Also bought an old NOS sprung seat off eBay today that's supposed to be from the right era, again just have to wait and see.

I really don't like this wait and see stuff...

If the forks are good, that means I can dismantle the wheels and start cleaning them up, and then I need to work out spoke length and a way of getting the spokes cut down and re-threaded... been looking into that and looks like I'm up for probably $200+ to get a spoke thread rolling machine to do it myself... bugger!

peteGS said:
...and then I need to work out spoke length and a way of getting the spokes cut down and re-threaded... been looking into that and looks like I'm up for probably $200+ to get a spoke thread rolling machine to do it myself... bugger!

Can throw you the equation for calculating spoke length if you need it :)
If needed I might be able to source some new stainless spokes and nipples, but don't know if you are up for new stuff. My school litterally has a wall pilled up with boxes of spokes ranging from 250mm to (at least) 300mm in length in intervals of 1mm, could probably convince the teachers to let go of some.

Back
Top Bottom