1996 KLX650 C the KLR's Weird Brother.

Letze

I'd like to introduce this fun little bike I bought on a whim.

It's a 1996 Kawasaki KLX 650 C (Road Legal) I bought this from a fellow out in the sticks, a good several miles on a gravel back road. out into the heart of virginia. He was looking to part with it to help fund his 50's Chevy Truck the bike didn't run, it was in pieces and looked like it should be recycled... but for the price he was asking I decided to take a shot at it.

Back Story, the guy I bought it from picked it up not running in order to take the motor and put it in a Honda Odyssey (the Gokart not the van) I'm thankful he didn't get to far with that plan as this bike would have been a shame to waste. I'm left to believe this bike was once totaled out given it's front end is from a KX500 which weighs in at 120lbs less than this bike. So I have my reservations about it's braking and handling. I'll be doing tests once it's back in running shape to ensure this setup will be safe for road use.

klx_beginning.jpg

Things always look worse in daylight...

klx_resto_01.jpg

But, some things can be helped, I'll be going back over all of the plastics with a buffing compound to bring out the original gloss red

klx_resto_02.jpg

Fun time with carbs...
klx_resto_03.jpg

klx_resto_04.jpg

klx_resto_05.jpg

klx_resto_06.jpg

klx_resto_07.jpg

Rust no more! I had it sitting for two days to get the rust out of the inside, it was worse than the outside, but even with a weak rattle can job on the tank I think it'll be fine, I intend to ride this thing hard :D

klx_resto_08.jpg

Motor is getting put back in tomorrow and I'll be making the bike back into a roller by days end.

I found this to be odd compared to how sportbikes are setup...

klx_resto_09.jpg

the big one is for the suspension linkage and the smaller one is for the swingarm pivot...

klx_resto_10.jpg

And Just a little further and it'll be a roller!

Back
Top Bottom