CB100 Racer

Gage Werke Composites

Been Around the Block
So at the risk of starting yet another project before the many, many others are finished (I must have A.D.D.) I'm going to build the '70 CB100 into a honda factory race replica. Full fairing and all. I plan on taking it up to the Portland, OR race track and seeing what she'll do w/ my 235+lb ass on it.

Here it is after being torn down and on my new MC table.

Picture001-1.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

My inspiration:
14-5-05.jpg

Color scheme:
honda_cr750_racer_1970_sm.jpg

honda_rc166.jpg

love that shit! i'm digging the small displacement hondas.
everyone tackles the rearsets differently, so i'm keen to see how you do yours.

ha that funny that you posted that silver honda. (dream 50? or somthing) i went to grayboy kawasaki today and they had one in tucked in the corner of the showroom. very cool little bike. the guy at the desk didnt know much about it or seem interested in talking about it either. (helva salesman ::) ) any way i was amazed and thought it was the coolest little bike. i want one for my kids ;D

sebatron said:
love that shit! i'm digging the small displacement hondas.
everyone tackles the rearsets differently, so i'm keen to see how you do yours.

I plan on doing my rearsets just like the silver #75 pic that I posted. Bend some Chromemoly hoops and stitch it to the frame. I've got the shouldered aluminum rims from an xs650 that I'll lace up to some sort of oversized drums.

I have a 175 on the go. Nothing crazy, just making it look cool. Cant wait for updates. By "colour scheme" do you mean the exact paint job as the lower photo? Do something with better the yellow? Kinda off line with the whole thing.

Enjoi

Curbcast said:
I have a 175 on the go. Nothing crazy, just making it look cool. Cant wait for updates. By "colour scheme" do you mean the exact paint job as the lower photo? Do something with better the yellow? Kinda off line with the whole thing.

Enjoi

Sweet. I love the 175's. I agree about the yellow. I'll probably ditch the yellow but I think the green should stay.

I love the combo, I think they'll be great. What is your tank off of? It looks like steel from the pics so I'm assuming it's not one of your one-offs.

Is there enough clearance for the bars/forks at the head tube with the tank that far up?you do great work so I'm sure you've got it covred!

Alright!! Your 235lbs. on a 100 has my 220lbs on a 200 beat by a mile and I was worried. I'm doing a real similar thing with this.

fence023.jpg

Kanticoy said:
I love the combo, I think they'll be great. What is your tank off of? It looks like steel from the pics so I'm assuming it's not one of your one-offs.

Is there enough clearance for the bars/forks at the head tube with the tank that far up?you do great work so I'm sure you've got it covred!

The tank is an old fiberglass Ducati tank that we are now making. The tank is just thrown on the bikes spine so it will probably be moved back a bit when mounted correctly.

diesel450 said:
Alright!! Your 235lbs. on a 100 has my 220lbs on a 200 beat by a mile and I was worried. I'm doing a real similar thing with this.

Ha! I know, I know. Fat man on a little bike! I figure once I have my fun with it I can give it to my daughter for her first road bike. (she just turned 1 so I have some time).

Gonna look like this

Attachments

• big-man-little-scooter.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 1,829
Gage Werke Composites said:
The tank is an old fiberglass Ducati tank that we are now making. The tank is just thrown on the bikes spine so it will probably be moved back a bit when mounted correctly.

Yeah - I thought the turning circle looked a bit.......limited :eek:

I like the combo ;)

Cant wait to see this one finished. Ive been searching (in vain of course) for a small displacement bike to do the something similar with for a year now.

This might sound like a stupid question, but where did you get the springs for the front forks?

One good thing about having a small engine/big tank - you'll only have to fill it about 3 times a year!

I think a smaller tank would be better. With a tank that size, you'll be able to do a couple track days on one fill-up. You're a bigger guy, so I would try to shave off as much weight as possible. Fuel weighs a lot.

For reference, the 925lbs car I built would do 2 20 minute sessions at the track on one 3 gallon fuel tank. And it had foam stuffed in it, so the actual capacity was likely 2 gallons (I forget exactly). That car had a CBR900RR engine, so it was almost 10 times the engine size as what you're talking about...

Keep it small/simple.

--Chris

Big R said:
This might sound like a stupid question, but where did you get the springs for the front forks?

One good thing about having a small engine/big tank - you'll only have to fill it about 3 times a year!

The external fork springs are stock on the early CB100. They are just usually covered by fork guards. Cool thing about the small displacement Hondas is that you can still get all kinds of new parts for them, and for cheap.

chrisf said:
I think a smaller tank would be better. With a tank that size, you'll be able to do a couple track days on one fill-up. You're a bigger guy, so I would try to shave off as much weight as possible. Fuel weighs a lot.

For reference, the 925lbs car I built would do 2 20 minute sessions at the track on one 3 gallon fuel tank. And it had foam stuffed in it, so the actual capacity was likely 2 gallons (I forget exactly). That car had a CBR900RR engine, so it was almost 10 times the engine size as what you're talking about...

Keep it small/simple.

--Chris

Thanks for the advice guys. I agree 100% with the fuel weight issue chrisf. The tank shown is what the actual tank will look like externally but it will actually hold as much as or less than the factory tank. I'm working on a super secret project that should be interesting. Stay tuned for updates.

Not doubting you a bit, but any good links to get new parts for these little Hondas? I'm kinda stuck between JC Whitney, Bike Bandit, Dennis Kirk, and Old Bike Barn. Can't wait to see this super secret tank idea!

They are all out of thailand now. Ebay search should turn them up. I'll see if I can dig up some of those links. What model you looking for parts for?

can't wait to watch this one come to life! Mad glass skilz right before our eyes! Really good advice Chris. I was thinking the same thing too. I'm a big feller too so eight plus extra pounds sloshing around on a little bike can make a huge difference. The back end of that tank would be an awesome place to hide the electros?? Anyhow, this will be a cool one!

Back
Top Bottom