Suzuki GS Cafe Racer Collective! Share knowledge.. ask build questions!

Nice job on that gs550. Beautiful. How close are you to getting it running? I am assuming its electrics you are waiting on now?

I'll bite:
BC8E4332-EC6C-4F50-B57D-E12E97FE784A_zpsl71yx759.jpg

Thanks, I think it's pretty cool. I'm interested what other guys think so y'all let me know. it's a runner now. I said rolling project because I still wanna do some shock and fork work. Also wanna dress up the engine abit. Electrics are all set up. It's my license I need. Haha. I ditched the battery and I'm running a capacitor, so it a kicker only. I'm running a small led tail light. With some resistors. Just a headlamp and small gauges with blue led back lighting that I got from dime city. This being my 1st build made me hooked. I'm already in the middle of a cb350 brat build

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    661.3 KB · Views: 351
CJ, any plan for fenders? Without a rear fender, you're going to get all kinds of garbage tossed everywhere (especially at your carbs). And the front fender acts as a fork brace if nothing else......

That being said, you're probably going to run into electrical problems with no battery. Suzuki charging systems aren't the best to begin with, and having no battery can make them even worse.

Thanks for the tips. I sure need them. I'm not running fenders. I was designing a splash guard to put in between the fame in front of the carbs to keep spray from the tires off the carbs. On the battery issue. I really tried to do my homework on this one and so many people have different theory's on what works and what doesn't. So I just thought I'll experiment with it. So far I've put 30miles on the bike since installing the capacitor and no issues as of yet. My next experiment was going to use a yuasa battery it's the type you see In small electric scooters it's a 12volt 12amp 4x6" battery. Not enough to crank a starter but big enough to suppress voltage spikes from the alternator. I'm sticking with the small battery idea because This is a true budget build & I really dig the kick start, just has that old school look plus it saves a few pounds. The bike is slow enough haha. Anyone have experience with the yuasa battery or capacitors? Any tips?

CJ
where did you get the rear sets in the first photo
they look to be just what I need for my 77 550
thanks

Firsty,
You will find 3 different types here http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/the-Rearsets-cln-Suzuki/Categories

Mine are the foldable version

There are some good lookin Zuk's here. I hope to get mine looking as good. Does anyone know if there is a bumpstop seat out there that can double as a two up for the occasional passenger?

Celtic, for that I would recommend either shaping your passenger seat foam to resemble the "cafe" style seat, or make a cowl from fiberglass to cover the passenger seat. Then take the cowl off whenever you would have a passenger.

A little more info.

When I first set out to rebuild my dad's old '78 gs750... I ran into some problems. The forks were badly pitted.. badly. So, I set out to find some. Luck was on my side (or so I thought) as my father came home one day with a complete, non-running 78 gs 1000. Nice bike. Completely mint forks.

Up until that time, I had heard and assumed that the 750 and 1000 were virtually the same bikes with the 1000 engine simply having a longer stroke and oversized pistons.

Well that is simply not true. These bikes are very different as I now know.

I am heading to the farm this weekend, and I will take some side-by-side pics of the naked frames etc. These bikes while similar in design are not as interchangeable as people think. At least not like I had thought.

So... I am building the 1000 first! It was complete when I took it apart, turned over well and has that highly touted frame that allowed them to out corner the Hondas, Yams and Kawis of the day....

I will post some pics as soon as possible.

PS... I am aware that anyone who really knows GS's (ie... not me!) will likely be thinking "duh!" but it was a surprise to me just how different they are.

HR

Yep the 1000 has a lot larger frame then the 750. If I remember right the 850 and 1000 are similar bikes.

Cjpisch said:
Thanks, I think it's pretty cool. I'm interested what other guys think so y'all let me know. it's a runner now. I said rolling project because I still wanna do some shock and fork work. Also wanna dress up the engine abit. Electrics are all set up. It's my license I need. Haha. I ditched the battery and I'm running a capacitor, so it a kicker only. I'm running a small led tail light. With some resistors. Just a headlamp and small gauges with blue led back lighting that I got from dime city. This being my 1st build made me hooked. I'm already in the middle of a cb350 brat build

Super nice. Love the clocks, the bars, the headlight and the paint.
Brilliant thread! 8)

The GS Suzuki's are great bikes to cafe. Here is one i've been working on as of late. 1978 Suzuki GS1000 Dunstall.
Started as this:
DSC01821.jpg

Currently sits like this:
image-1-4.jpg

GS1000BW.jpg

Let me throw ny 2 cents worth in...my 1980 GS850 Street Brat. Cut quite a fwe pounds off this puppy.

Attachments

• IMG_9142.JPG
    IMG_9142.JPG
    883.1 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_20140914_134636.jpg
    IMG_20140914_134636.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 358
  • IMG_20140914_134702.jpg
    IMG_20140914_134702.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 376
Well I have been off the site for a while, working like a dog. But I come back and see all these beautiful GS cafes! Nice work. My '78 GS1000 is still at the frame stage... many, many pieces, but that is because I am in the middle of restoring a slightly newer GS! See the pic below.

I am turning the blue GS into a more restored original colours GS. It is an 84 750 EF which while not rare is certainly less common than many other GSs around.

I was just really, really Jones'ing for a running bike that I could enjoy while the café 1000 is in the rebuild stage. This was a good buy and interesting to me. So I am going to restore it slowly over a few years.... for this year, just ride it and log some kms on it.

Attachments

• $_20.jpg
    $_20.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 900
  • imagesDKLEXV5R.jpg
    imagesDKLEXV5R.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 919
Back
Top Bottom