The little Ducati Featherweight

jag767

Over 1,000 Posts
So a little ducati motor just fell into my lap. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! I have very little idea what direction this is going in, other than the 2 words I have come to mind are cafe, and lightweight. Since this is a little guy (160 from a monza Jr) I'm kind if thinking why not try to make it an ultra lightweight bike, and see how "bare bones" I can get it and still have a safe functional machine. Perhaps build a frame from scratch, which designed properly would allow for a nice sturdy structure but be a featherweight at the same time. Hey I like that, Ducati Featherweight, that's what I'll name this project. I needed another project like a hold in the head, oops!

I'm completely open to input here, especially in building the frame, so please by all means everyone throw up some ideas!

I have a shit ton of parts laying around, so once I have a frame this should go fast.

Attachments

• s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 429
I'm on board, I have no help for you on the frame except if you want to title depending on where you are you'll want a donor frame for a vin #, get one that you can fit a good set of forks and a good wheel brake setup.

I'm working on a Monza Jr. right now as well. I have a later engine but the first series bodywork. Just pulled the engine to do the top end. Let me know if you need any frame measurements or a PDF of the service manual.

28782106760_285e86b4e4_b.jpg

BarnBurner said:
I'm working on a Monza Jr. right now as well. I have a later engine but the first series bodywork. Just pulled the engine to to the top end. Let me know if you need any frame measurements or a PDF of the service manual.

28782106760_285e86b4e4_b.jpg

Thanks BarnBurner! I have the service manual, but I may take you up on measurements and maybe a few photos once I get going.

VonYinzer said:
http://www.malarkeyengineering.co.uk/ducati-single-race-frame

Yes! That is beautiful! Not sure i could make it, but maybe something like it. Keep'em comin'!

Maritime said:
I'm on board, I have no help for you on the frame except if you want to title depending on where you are you'll want a donor frame for a vin #, get one that you can fit a good set of forks and a good wheel brake setup.

Thanks Maritime!

jag767 said:
Yes! That is beautiful! Not sure i could make it, but maybe something like it. Keep'em comin'!

As far as building a frame goes this one would be reasonably easy to be honest! If you don't want to build your own completely maybe an mx frame (steel) could be modified as they are single cylinder also. Sounds like a fun project.

I think a CB160 frame would be awesome and this little engine would be perfect polished up and out front. Plus you could get a title for it easy

004.jpg

BarnBurner said:
I think a CB160 frame would be awesome and this little engine would be perfect polished up and out front. Plus you could get a title for it easy

004.jpg

Lol i have a titled 175 frame i was eyeing as a plan B. I'd want a usd front end for it, length would be an issue.

Just looked, I have everything for a 175 roller, including some fork lowers I put a stupid amount of time into. In theory, I could flip the rear wheel around, remount the tire, then its just a matter of motor mounts and alignment. As far as the weight goal, I think I could manage to get it under 200 dry. Interesting.

Here's the frame I have sitting. I have a different front end on it now but after looking at it, with a little chop chop that may do!

Attachments

• 20141215_145953_resized_2-2.jpg
    20141215_145953_resized_2-2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 352
http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/STK-161.html

Hell yea. Oh, before I forget, anyone else who is either building this motor or will be, I can get a run of high compression pistons to our specs produced. Anyone interested? What could it be jumped to? 11:1?

Been looking into carbs. Why does this motor only have a 22mm? It's roughly half a cb350, which would get what a vm30? So how would a vm28 be? Paired to a free flowing long exhaust which generally is beneficial for these small guys, I can see that helping out. I definitely want to use a higher compression piston, as I mentioned 11:1 makes sense in my head. With a little head work, all that should be good enough wake up this guy.

Everything I read made it very clear the main reason the Compression was so low is to make it easy to kick over, as a sales point back in the day. The big desmos were much higher no?

I see reports of this having between 9.5 to 11 hp in stock form. Me thinks with a digital ignition and better coil, larger carb, higher compression, better exhaust, and some mild porting, maybe what 16-18 max? The torque should be increased nicely with the compression. That would be fairly respectable out of a 160, and on a sub 200lb machine should make for fun putting around town.

I have a very good little Ducati tank that would be perfect for this super lite :eek:

Just like this: but original paint with lots of patina lol, has good cap and original dual taps.

Cadet_tank_black.jpg

Badass:

Attachments

• DUC.jpg
    DUC.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 346
Dig the tank, also thinking about having a triple tree made to use these:

http://www.msx125accessories.com/honda-grom-msx125-replacement-front-forks

And ohlins makes a dampening kit. I think the length is exact.

Back
Top Bottom