EGLI frame, TR1 engine, build from scratch

loekm

TR1 racer is starting to look like a bike!
Hi all,

This is my attempt at building a bike from scratch... The project is running for a few months in construction, and for years in my head ;) so first some pictures in from start to where the project is now.

CAD is nice to get going:
motor%252520totaal.JPG

Start of the frame:
IMG_0561.JPG

More preparation on the frame:
IMG_0602.JPG

Frontwheel hub (CB750) "before":
voornaaf%252520van%252520FTR%252520classic.JPG

Rearwheel Hub (CB750) "after":
IMG_0595.JPG

Construction on fork for rear wheel:
mallen%252520voor%252520de%252520maatvoering.JPG

More constructon:
Achtervork%2525203.JPG

Construction on main frame:
IMG_0710.JPG

More construction on main frame with tank cover:
IMG_0719.JPG

Actual situation with jig getting better and better:
IMG_0734.JPG

Hope to get rolling chassis ready this winter. Then of to inspection for chassis number, and if OK build the rest and get a license plate before summer ;D

I'll try and post pictures as often as possible.
Enjoy the weekend!

Best regards,

Loek

Totally damn awesome, looks like you have some great tools at your disposal and a knowledge of how to use the. These are the type of builds that inspire most of us. Can't wait to see where this leads! Thanks for posting.

This is awesome, I love seeing engineers/math people build bikes. What kind of steel are you using for the frame? It looks like you are going with rear engine mounts? what kind of suspension are you going to use? a linkage system or a cantilever?

I am surprised you are not going with a Hossack front suspension, or some time of crazy set up.

hey Loek - awesome work. 8)

I USED to have facilities like yours ::) - here's my 550 Porsche Spyder [replica ] spaceframe under construction at my pal's workshop in Heyda [ Saxony ].

A distant memory now - here's my current jig bench. 1923 solid [?] Oak desk with REAL leather insert. Oh yes, lock up garage with running water [ from roof ] and no electricity. Ha,ha, Jealous - me? When I was a kid I worked in the street, so I guess I haven't quite come full circle after 50 years !! ;)

550101.jpg

Picture038-1.jpg

Hey gentlemen,

Thanks for the compliments! The facilities are indeed very nice ;D Nothing to complain there!

@goingsmoto: The steel is just good old S235. I think in English it's called mild steel. The small diameter tubes are seemles though and that's about it. Nothing exotic.
The engine will be mounted at both cilinder heads and at the back, the back part is mostly for attaching the rear swing arm. Although a connection between the main frame and the back of the engine is not needed for strength I'll make it anyway because i like the looks and the frame becomes one piece instead of two. Suspension will look as classic as possible... like this one:

PA-VernR0511-005.jpg

This is my first actual build so nothing to exotic suspension wise, maybe the next one ;)

Enjoy your sunday!

Best regards,

Loek

Hi there,

Finally took some time to update the drawings a little. Frame starts to get there.... Weight as shown on pictures is a healthy 10,3 Kg which i'm happy with so far.

Picture 1:
Frame%252520actueel%2525202.jpg

Picture 2:
Frame%252520actueel.jpg

No fabrication this week, maybe some extra CAD... will try yo keep you all informed.

Best regards,

Loek

Looks like a fun build, you're doing what I hope to with mine at some point.

Great start this will be a nice bike for sure. I'm always a bit jealous of the CAD layouts.
Cheers, 50gary

Goodmorning!

Thanks for the likes folks! I Had some time to start the welds on the frame. I'm not the one who's welding but a nice colleague at work has done a very nice job! the frame is slowly getting there, hope to get it finished early next year.

Preparation:
IMG_0010.JPG

Welding:
IMG_0014.JPG

More welding:
IMG_0016.JPG

Result:
IMG_0020.JPG

More results:
IMG_0024.JPG

I'm pleased with it, off for vacation, more to come next year!

Best regards,

Loek

Hi all,

The new year is well on his way, so time for some extra pics.... The frame has seen some extra welding. The front cilinder mounting, and the tubes that wil hold the swing arm in place are done.

Back part of frame fully welded:
DSC_3648.JPG

Front part of frame step 1 tack welded:
DSC_3651.JPG

Front part of frame complete tack welded:
DSC_3652.JPG

Overview:
DSC_3653.JPG

Tomorrow the lasercut parts arrive (plates for bracing swingarm and plates that "hold" the swingarm, see picture below)

Frame%252520actueel%2525202.jpg

So construction of the swingarm is next ad also a mounting point for the back cilinderhead needs to be constructed... but i'm not entirely sure how to do it. So more than enough work remains to get the frame finished....

Best regards,

Loek

Back
Top Bottom