Sreter's '73 CB750 Cafe Project

Since the bike is already at the shop, instead of picking it up yesterday I went ahead and dropped off my seat hoop and seat pan so I could have them weld everything up. While I was there, I was able to chat with the guys about what was wrong with the bike that wasn't allowing it to start and apparently I didn't have the engine ground connected... :eek: so its now wired how its supposed to be but I need to get a starter solenoid so I can use the handlebar switch instead of touching the starter ground wire to the battery to start it so I'll be ordering that today.

Also, that "special washer" should be here tomorrow so hopefully they'll finish up the welding by tomorrow so I can take the bike home and finish it up and maybe go for a ride.

The major issue now is one that I knew was gonna have to be taken care of eventually... the ticking/knocking that sounds like its coming from the head... I know now that its not the valves bc they're to spec thanks to the shop so it might be a bent rod or something similar/more serious :-\ I'll have to take the head off and investigate what is creating this sound... just keeping my fingers crossed its not gonna be something too large to fix

Madcap Att said:
Yeah electricity likes to be grounded. ;) good to hear its all sorted out.

hahaha ::) yeaaaa.

Specially now I wish I would've taken a picture of the wiring mess when I got this bike... the bike was at least starting but makes me wondering what they were thinking lol

Hope to see you at Barber's Vintage Festival in a few weeks.
I will be the guy with the buzzed hair cut that is your dad's age with the café racer in Ace Corner. ;-)

Get her running and let's go.

Chris

cklamer said:
Hope to see you at Barber's Vintage Festival in a few weeks.
I will be the guy with the buzzed hair cut that is your dad's age with the café racer in Ace Corner. ;-)

Get her running and let's go.

Chris

Hahaha sounds good. Yea I'm definitely gonna be there. Running or not I'll be there since I live about 20 minutes away from Barber's but trying everything I can so I can ride there. Look forward to meeting you

Finally got the bike out of the shop yesterday and so excited. Aside from the wiring fix and valve adjustment I had mentioned before, I also had them weld up my seat hoop so i was able to mock up the seat when I got it home and can't wait to mount it up! Today after work I will tackle the install of the starter solenoid, new grips, "special washer" on the spark advancer, and hopefully the seat brackets

E2B7A904-FFDA-472A-8932-EE7608F1A5BA_zps41rmqzys.jpg

PS: the seat wont sit that low at the back... its just sitting at an angle bc i dont have it fastened yet

It was great to see her finally run yesterday. This thing is incredibly loud with those pipes but it was very fun to finally be able to ride together... even tho it was just down the street to the park.

Can't wait for the vintagefest, we will 100% be riding there not driving!!!

yea dude I'm so happy to be able to ride it finally! The Barber's event is gonna be awesome, cant wait!

Although not very far, it felt great to go for a little ride yesterday. Bike is really fun to drive! Best way to describe the bike is a beast angry from being woken up but still drowsy from a long sleep haha. The thing is super loud, vibrates quite a bit, still needs to be tuned so its a little sluggish, smokes alot bc of the newly wrapped exhaust, and has that ticking/knocking sound going on so its definitely interesting lol

7DDF4878-96A9-4C77-86D0-B235F735C43E_zpsvizadxen.jpg

That's awesome man!!! I'm happy for you. I like how it's a little rough around the edges. It motivates me to get off my ass and finish up my bike.

namelesspenguin said:
That's awesome man!!! I'm happy for you. I like how it's a little rough around the edges. It motivates me to get off my ass and finish up my bike.

haha thanks man. Yea rough around the edges is definitely an appropriate way to put it. I plan on cleaning it up a bit and making it a little "nicer" than it is now but I dont want to make it real flashy and what not... in the end the bike is a garage build so it'll always look a little rough from limited resources but that's the style I'm going for.

yes... thats a skateboard haha haven't gotten around to mounting up my Legendary "Thruxton" seat pan i got from DCC...

F360A112-8DF5-4C78-88FB-39002BD2FB76_zps0aujth1r.jpg

So next order of business:
Brake caliper ordered from fellow DTT member
Brake hoses ordered from Ebay
New clutch lever, brake lever and reservoir ordered from Ebay
Hagon rear shocks ordered from Hagon

Mounting the seat pan in the next few days
Make the foam seat pad and wrap it in brown leather with some diamond stitching
Install the LED tail light strip I got
Once the seat pan is installed I can also start tucking and hiding the wires, reg/rec, battery, fuse box, and take out the battery box thats in there

As for the engine noise.... I gotta take out the timing chain tensioner and see if its damage and HOPE that it is so that the engine noise is coming from the chain slapping around instead of something worse like a bent rod...

MikaelMikkelsen said:
Haha a skateboard! - that can't be even close to comfortable (-:

LMAO! yea definitely not comfortable haha but I was honestly so stocked to finally get to ride it that it wasn't even bothering me ;D

Seat pan is finally mounted up. Ended up using the "no welding" mounting gear from Legendary Cycles/DCC a little differently to get the seat pan over the frame rails and clear the oil tank. Love the way it looks but not crazy about the little foam pads I installed... They'll give me the comfort for the moment as I figure out how to make this seat pad I want to use though.

FFB42D75-C542-413A-9079-0F0B493AAE47_zpsiuq2wjac.jpg

BB02D1EB-D6C5-4E63-AD24-AB42DB1DBDB6_zpsefjo1fwt.jpg

One thing I do wish to do is somehow raise the tank up a bit so that the bottom tank line matches up to the seat pan line... there was no way the seat pan could go that much lower. I had to trim the front section of it so that it would come down another inch or so and its about as much as i could cut off...

I also ordered some bar end mirrors I found pretty cheap on amazon. Didnt think I was going to like them much so I went cheap to test it out and I'm actually kind of liking the look. Might try out just a single mirror at some point

F744EC37-D608-4ADE-B5AC-FB9F3651C69C_zpsuu54mmf0.jpg

D25D5397-61BB-4DDA-B33A-46B4D5C2E01B_zps0ikl1onz.jpg

Back
Top Bottom