RD400 Two Week Rebuild

darkhorse

So Born Free is next weekend down here in So Cal, and I'm working like a mad man so I don't have to roll up in my cage.
My name is Ian and I picked up my first 2 stroker back in december. Love the bike, but it's been a basket-case since day 1, mostly due to bad DIY work from past owners.

IMG_0611 by thingzthatmov3, on Flickr
So a few weeks ago the bike broke down for the millionth time and I couldn't get a friend with a truck to rescue me, so I reluctantly called AAA. The tow guy said since I didn't have a steering lock he had to tie it down in the corner. I reluctantly let him do his thing which led to a bent fork.

Untitled by thingzthatmov3, on Flickr
Luckily I had recently picked up a built motor from a local member so I decided it was time to put away the band aids and go for a full rebuild. So I broke the bank and powder coated the frame and wheels, and ordered these parts:
Hagon 13.4 shocks
Progressive fork springs
All Balls wheel and steering bearings
Swingarm bushings
TDR reeds
Jets and Needles for the Dave F mod (already have dg pipes and banshee manifolds)
Economy's reproduction wire harness/fuse box
Vintage Smoke ignition

Untitled by thingzthatmov3, on Flickr

DSC_0129 by thingzthatmov3, on Flickr

DSC_0133 by thingzthatmov3, on Flickr

I'm surprised that would lead to a bent fork but it sucks to hear regardless. Was a great looking bike to begin with... will be cool to see where you end up.

good looking RD. im in SoCal as well and just picked up an RD350. i plan on doing the same motor mods. just waiting on registration stuff. want to trade your tank for a fb tank?

bbillington said:
I'm surprised that would lead to a bent fork but it sucks to hear regardless. Was a great looking bike to begin with... will be cool to see where you end up.
He added a few more tie downs and then got a lil crank happy. As soon as I rolled it off the flat bed i noticed a bad clunk. Took the forks off and it had a bad bend in it. Luckily Wicked Motorsports was doing a build with a modern front end so I was able to buy the old forks, but these continuous problems make me feel like the bike is cursed.

dcmspikes said:
good looking RD. im in SoCal as well and just picked up an RD350. i plan on doing the same motor mods. just waiting on registration stuff. want to trade your tank for a fb tank?
Sorry, the RD coffin tank is one of my favorite stock tanks out there. Goodluck with the 350, that is a beast of a motor.

where did you get your reeds, banshee parts and jets from? i found the vintage smoke ignition on ebay.

Nice looking bike and I'm sure it will be reliable after you take care of whatever the problem was. BTW, reeds don't make much of a difference if any on a street motor, but Boysens do make a slight difference.

The good old Dave F mod to change to a primary type needle jet. There is absolutely no good reason to do that to get jetting right, but I suppose it's quicker and cheaper than working out the right jetting. It really needs LEDAR needle jets which I think are still available in the UK, and last time I looked EBC UK were distributing them.

Good choice to keep the tank - they are iconic.

That Dyna S ignition should be an improvement. The best set up is arguably Chinoy's or Pwer Dynamo but they are a little more expensive.
http://www.hvccycle.com/ignition-cdi.html

Thanks teazer, glad you appreciate the smokers. My problems were mostly related to electrical stuff. When I got the bike I put a new battery in it, and when it wasn't getting a charge i pulled the cover to find no brushes; after that i found the rotor was dead cause someone tried to pull it off with the wrong tool and cracked it. On top of that the fuse box was melted and all through the harness wires were melted together and were causing shorts. After I addressed those issues the shit aftermarket clutch went out and when I went to fix that and found this:
IMG_2212-1.jpg

These were just some of the problems so it will be nice to get her running proper.

For this exact set of mods I have had enough people confirm that this has made a big improvement in fixing that mid range dip and giving a smother power band that it's worth a shot.

I had my eye on the Chinoy and MZB ignitions, but really I'm just looking for reliability over points and those were too much for my budget.

8 days left!! Don't know if I'm going to make it, but she has a heart.

DSC_0125 by thingzthatmov3, on Flickr
Also if there are any members near tustin with a feeler gauge that can time my bike, I would be willing to pay someone to come help me out.

a feeler guage? or a dial indicator? i thought you were supposed to time it by placing the piston at a certain distance from TDC. i could be wrong. if you know what to do i can probably get the tools.

dcmspikes said:
a feeler guage? or a dial indicator? i thought you were supposed to time it by placing the piston at a certain distance from TDC. i could be wrong. if you know what to do i can probably get the tools.

You are right, you need a dial gauge. I forgot I ditched the points so no feeler gauge is needed. Just need a dial gauge and voltage reg and voltage reg or light.

did you get the PM i sent you? i think i can get a dial and or i gave you a number for a guy who does RDs.

I can't wait to hear how this runs. Love the RD 400 tank, good looking bike overall.

Back
Top Bottom