"The Orphan" XS500 '76 (98.2%done)

Re: "The Orphan" XS500 '76

I just wrote a very long post only to refresh the page and watch it all dissapear haha.
Anyway my friend sent me a teaser pic of the rear fender and tail light frame.
owHm6Tw.jpg

47131387748772979686009.jpg

EDIT: Oh yeh this pic was of the springs, i took off the rust with a wire brush, gonna rock these for now. They look crude and used, i like that.
Im having some internet problems so i have trouble uploading pics and even know what are on them.

Im just gonna update when i start assembly of the bike again.

I finally have a rolling chassis 8)
lgbAmNq.jpg

The wheels are just for mock up.

The "real wheels" are getting some tlc at wrenchmonkees, found some tires a little more dual sport than the originally planned K60's. Cant wait to get them back hehe
Y8IDxam.jpg

Always so inspiring to come in their shop, the atmosphere is pure rawsomeness and they have so many nice bikes too
NgyYViD.jpg

Bought some more shiny new bits while i was there. (not the filters.)
8OAzB3U.jpg

So im going to run these Uni foam filters.
TcuAldw.jpg

I had the same ones on my old XS, and i got it running pretty good, so i hope to do the same this time round.

Made a replacement for the rear master pushrod thingie in stainless steel. I hope it works despite the small offset.
ZCBbxLu.jpg

Thats it for now, im in the middle of painting the engine. :D

Today, i was able to get the engine back in the frame and i got a whole lot of other stuff done too. Feels good when nothing is causing major trouble during assembly.
KCvgyqT.jpg

7mIf4by.jpg

The rear master pushrod is working like it should, and found a brake switch from a Gsxr400 which i could use.
kqYaTv9.jpg

xohzbDG.jpg

CM33XVW.jpg

Got started on the seat foam as well, took the foam from the original seat and i've started to contour it.
CGw9fDP.jpg

I will upholster it with this light brown faux leather. The bottom will be covered by black leather.
9iRFGPt.jpg

Thats it for today. Tomorrow i'll assemble some more and start thinking about the wiring.
Wheels will be here soon, i cant wait to see them on the bike ;D

Wiring took me a very long time, i didnt get any spark and did not expect the plug cap to be broken all of a sudden, worked before i took it apart.
Had some other ones in a parts bin so after changing them it fired right up with all the wires on the ground next to it. Then i started cutting wires i didnt need, make sure i had some solid ground wires and trying to get it as clean as possible. I didnt have any more connectors, so i ended up getting lazy and just stuffing the extra wire where i could.

8K9N7yB.jpg

After:
KHOqSN3.jpg

Still need to find a suitable battery to put on the swingarm.

Oh and did i mention how it rains a lot here?
I found an old Polycarbonat visor that i cut to size and mounted in front of the rear wheel, no wet filters for me now :)
f53eG3B.jpg

Now im just waiting for some freshly rattle canned parts and my wheels with new tires to come.

In the meantime, i'll have a look at the brake slave cylinders and see how busted they really are..

EDIT; Random pics-
09CXP2u.jpg

ggmMj86.jpg

voCHYPj.jpg

3Rrv006.jpg

Did some small stuff yesterday

Ghetto jetting: I made some tubes from an empty sealant container and stuck them in the filters.
They are full lenght now but i may have to adjust that later on. I only tried running it with some poverty temporary mufflers i had in my shed so ill wait with more adjustments until i get my shorty mufflers.
tZGgEes.jpg

I also took the calipers apart and got the front brake working now, back brake needs a new piston and seal though.
LDyHvoB.jpg

And i made a battery holder to put on the swingarm. I might move the location to under the swingarm tucked in on the back of the engine later, but im low on funds so this will have to do for now.
kytUD0t.jpg

And i got the seat done, riveted the faux leather on. Came out pretty good i think. My finger wanted to be in the picture, but thats the only pic i have right now of the seat.
YQu6svW.jpg

Mood picture hehe
NRCM4wD.jpg

EDIT: The battery was occupying the same space as the chain, so had to move it. This enabled me to delete the inner polycarbonat fender. The battery will take some water now instead of the filters. I might make another watertight box for it later, depends on what battery i will get at some point.
It made the triangular area seem a little more clean i think.

Also helped my friend mount his newly painted parts on his CB550, looks much more raw and badass now than before.
pD9wL0g.jpg

GRYLB7v.jpg

And a preview of the tires i settled for
6rPGHK0.jpg

Tomorrow night i'll be picking up the tank and rearend :)
7JF1tjS.jpg

I got my tires :D
j9pkB4v.jpg

Now when i see them on the bike i can see how that 18" front would have looked better, but im still pleased with the look, kinda bobber/brat thing to it now, what do you guys think?
sjGJe2F.jpg

I might take the mufflers and give them a more brushed matte finish, they look way too shiny for the rest of the chrome on the bike in my opinion.

I took it for a short shakedown test (cruise) after making sure the brakes worked like they should.

The jetting seems to be spot on, i'll get to finetuning that when i get the tank and rear. I was supposed to pick it up last night but something came up.

The exhaust however, makes too much noise for my taste, is there anyway i can reduce that? The mufflers have baffles in them, basicly a drilled out tube with packing material around it. Can take it out for a pic if that helps.

You can get better packing from most bike shops that will help just pull what u have off and replace with better stuff

DreadRock said:
You can get better packing from most bike shops that will help just pull what u have off and replace with better stuff

Ok i'll try that, thank you.

The original packing does look a little light.

Did you get yours running right?

The brake looks so juicy, i want one for mine hehe

No not yet but tinkering a lil every night right now just trying to get my FJ up and going for the Thaw next weekend !

DreadRock said:
No not yet but tinkering a lil every night right now just trying to get my FJ up and going for the Thaw next weekend !

Oh well good luck to you

Yea, so i got the last parts and i got the mufflers sorted so it doesnt make too much noise.

Will upload video with sound at some point.

The headlight will have to go, instead i'll put something like this on it. http://www.wrenchmonkees.com/webshop/headlights/headlight-6-1-2-matt-black.html
And i might shave an inch of the seat. And maybe try some clipons for fun.
And make a forkbrace.

But other than that its done for now, gonna have it road approved and on numberplates next week.

No speedo, no blinkers, no horn. I love the rules for older bikes here.

Will update with some more scenic pics next week.
Hope you enjoyed this weird project. It turned out more bobber/brat than tracker, but hey who's counting.

H73XexK.jpg

DA3RvLe.jpg

n0T2Gwb.jpg

Re: "The Orphan" XS500 '76 (97.5%done)

Great work man and have to say I kinda dig the headlight !

Dude, this is really turning out nice.

I like it a lot. Nice job.

DreadRock said:
Great work man and have to say I kinda dig the headlight !

Thank you, i had great fun doing it!

Still unsure about the headlight myself.

Hows the XJ coming along? Got a build thread for it?

New2meCB said:
Dude, this is really turning out nice.

I like it a lot. Nice job.

Thank you for the positive comment, im still open to suggestions as to what could be changed or adjusted to make it look better if you got anything?

Parts should be at home waiting on me ! No build thread on the FJ I pi led it up last year as a run around bike ! Didn't need much other then a few small things !

DreadRock said:
Parts should be at home waiting on me ! No build thread on the FJ I pi led it up last year as a run around bike ! Didn't need much other then a few small things !

Very nice, dont know why i called it an XJ, i have a fever so my brain is not working at optimal performance.
Im getting ready to start on my XT550 now, cant wait to drive that thing

Yamaki said:
Thank you for the positive comment, im still open to suggestions as to what could be changed or adjusted to make it look better if you got anything?

Because you asked, and ONLY because you asked (I'm not that guy that always feels a need to voice his opinion when it's not wanted.......) but something that is small but, to me, really makes a big impact are grips that match the seat colour (or at least as close as possible). It's a small touch but really ties things together nicely in the end.

Brown/tan grips. Two thumbs up on this bike.

Again, your bike, your call. Just a thought for you.

New2meCB said:
Because you asked, and ONLY because you asked (I'm not that guy that always feels a need to voice his opinion when it's not wanted.......) but something that is small but, to me, really makes a big impact are grips that match the seat colour (or at least as close as possible). It's a small touch but really ties things together nicely in the end.

Brown/tan grips. Two thumbs up on this bike.

Again, your bike, your call. Just a thought for you.

I would second this and maybe add a small ( brown/ tan ) tool pouch above the light !

Yeah both ideas sound good to me too, i might see if i can find some kind of pouch for the forks, would be nice with a little toolbag.
Idk about the grips though, i like the idea with matching grips, but i also like the comfort and feel of the cross grips i have on now.
I'll see if i can find some i like in a color that would match the seat.

Thanks for the ideas, i appreciate it a lot!

Back
Top Bottom