72 Honda CB450 "lucky 13"

Wow. That thing is looking brand spanking new.

About the piston rings (I know you're past it), just soak them with a little bit of oil before making their way into the cylinders. There's a tiny little chamfer on the bottom of the walls to guide the rings in. Chalk one up to Mr. Honda.

And if the 450 cam chain is anything like the 175 (probably not), make absolutely sure that the chain is on the crankshaft sprocket. Mine was off a little bit and it came loose after I had the motor back in the frame. It sucked. Big time.

sxecafe said:
Jesus! You did a helluva job, my friend.

You think this is thorough.......you should have seen his Mustang build!! Looking good Joe!! You DEF need to come over and help me with mine!

Thanks for the advice!;) I did have the chain slip off the bottom a few times when we were messing with the cams. I just got it back from the shop that pressed the master link together and everything is aligned and spinning so I hope it stays on now! I had a little trouble with the gaskets that were supplied because one was off a little. I think they gave me two of the same one. I had to cut a new hole into one with....a hole punch :p. Also started to make a battery box last week. I found some scrap metal from a previous project and think it will turn out well. I still need to figure out how I want to mount it. I'll probably have it hang down similar to the original. I also want to cut out some of the material in the center. Hopefully Thursday I can start putting the Bore-Tech ignition in. I might have a few questions about that thing. pretty cool ignition though.

Original

I didn't think I was going to have time today but I found a couple hours to put some finishing details into the engine (mostly swapping stock to aftermarket hardware). I began installing the ignition stuff too.

Next on the agenda is to get the engine bolted to the frame. I have the frame painted and just have to attach the swing arm and rear suspension. I am also waiting for the front fork seals which are in the mail. I need to get those installed on the forks to finish up the front end. I picked up new hardware for the motor mounts too.

Got to leave work early ;D. The big problem for me is the bike is being built at my friends personal garage and I live the next city over. So I drive back and forth every time I want to work on it. All the pictures that are taken indoors are at my place.

BEAUTIFUL! tell us how the bore-tech works out! i was going to get one but another opportunity has popped up... cant talk about it much though ;D

cant wait to see this together. Any idea what total costs came out to?

Yeah Brad, I want to put the engine in the frame so any extra help works for me. As for the total costs....I want to wait till it's together to look over the receipts. :(

Real quick - did you see the tip in the $50 mod thread about wrapping the frame with pipe insulation before putting the motor in?

Just wanna make sure.

Back
Top Bottom