brat vs bobber vs cafe...what's the difference.

redbiker

Friend of BillW,trudging the road of Happy Destiny
I need educated. what's the difference in these designs? I have a 72 CL 450 DOHC that I wanted to keep it stock. I got a 71 CL 350 parts bike and sold the shocks and rear fender. The bike sits there with the end of the frame resting on the back tire. I keep looking at it and thinking i really like the looks of that bike. Cut the frame after the shock mount, cut the seat, mount the handlebars upside down, new LED turn signals and running lights. Was thinking about a shorter exhaust/muffler, like real short. then I saw someone who painted the CL pipes black, way cool. Of course, I think of this AFTER I've already sold parts. I've got a couple of bikes that need I to get running before the CL project gets started. Maybe I won't keep it stock...
Thanks

There are many definitions on brats, bobs and cafes. Of course this being a cafe site mainly I think you can pick the main styling designs of a cafe racer. Bobbers are a bit harder person by person the definition changes. Some ssay its got to be pre 60's and everything not needed has to be lost. Otherwise most people consider a hardtail frame with black everything and apes or Z bars a bobber but basically its just what you want it to be I guess. Brats are based around the bikes that roll out of the BratStyle garage in Japan.

Just my .02

Bobbers are hardtailed bikes with solo seats and cafe racers are performance oriented vintage street bikes. Year of the bike doesn't really matter because there are a bunch of guys with bobbed Honda Shadows and new HDs cruisin around here in southern NC but most are vintage bikes. Brats are pretty much soft tail versions of bobbers. All of them are street bikes stripped of all excess parts to just the bare necessities of what it needs to function.

There are also choppers, flat trackers, boardtrack racers like, and club racers or vintage gp bikes like the Honda RC series.

But as Twitch said it's all mostly up to you man. Build what you want and worry about classifying it later. 8)

Brat Style came from the Brat Style shop in Japan.
IMG_4705.jpg

Brat styles usually have only minor frame modifications. (shorten) a thinner flatter seat installed, most have adopted the black rims, and I have seen all kinds of crazy handle bar options. (just whatever suits the owner comfort and riding style)
I am sure "Brat Style" bikes were created out of necessity, So the HIPSTER Japanese couples could own a "Cool modified" bike...and still ride two up. If an average Japanese guy stands 5' 6" @ 135 lbs and his girlfriend is 5' 3" @ 95 lbs, they would easily fit on that seat comfy as two bugs in a rug...Now for us Americans, its a different story...when I first got my bike put together my wife wanted a ride. so me, 6' @ 170lbs and wifey at 5' 6" @ ? lbs. It was a hilarious fiasco...to say the least.

Here is a brat style bike, sitting in the brat style shop, built by the brat style guys.
IMG_4736.jpg

Here is my personal interpretation of the brat style.
3601.jpg

Bobbers...A quote from VonYinzer.
[/quote]
VonYinzer said:
The bobber style of motorcycle was NOT created in Japan. It came about in America post WW2. The term "bobber" refers to the act of cutting or bobbing the fenders and body work on a stock motorcycle. Traditionally bobbers are motorcycles that came from the manufacturer with a handrail frame. Usually pre or war time American bikes.
They were built to be as light and quick as possible. Ride them to work Mon - Fri and race on the weekend.

HondaCL360.jpg

The bobber style of motorcycle was NOT created in Japan. It came about in America post WW2. The term "bobber" refers to the act of cutting or bobbing the fenders and body work on a stock motorcycle. Traditionally bobbers are motorcycles that came from the manufacturer with a hard tail frame. Usually pre or war time American bikes.
They were built to be as light and quick as possible. Ride them to work Mon - Fri and race on the weekend.

Cafe' - British styled to race from one Cafe' to another
Brat - short for Bratstyle www.bratstyle.com
Bobber - Bobbed, The term anthing deemed un-needed is removed. As in bob-tail as in the tail cut off a dog or cat, like a Bobcat, or a Semi truck running without a trailer is called "Bob-tailing it".

Back
Top Bottom