Build opinions requested, but not necessarily accepted

Beeweldmut

Been Around the Block
I'm About to start the motor build on my 74 Suzuki GT750 water buffalo. You probably already know, but it's a 3cyl water cooled 750 2-stroke.

I am toying with a few ideas. What's your thoughts? I know any of them would be a difficult transition, but I build a bike FOR the challenge of doing it.

The leading option is a teens style board track racer similar to the cyclone. I like the style and is not a common build format to do with newer motor. 28" tires are the tricky part of this build.

Next option would be a more modern board tracker. I always look twice when I see one done nice and clean.

The gt750 is a really wide and short motor, so that makes me think of this sexy BMW bobber.

Not sure.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403834081.013026.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403834081.013026.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 247
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403834286.933546.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403834286.933546.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 490
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403834734.831281.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403834734.831281.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 273
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403834888.544602.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403834888.544602.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 630
that bmw is a work of art, but what is sexy about a bike that's got you sitting so low with yer knees hiked up like a girl squatting a piss ?
if that makes you think sexy carry on

I bet it is uncomfortable. But bobbers tend to be that way.

I like the dirt trackers, just seeing too many of them being built.

Not here you havnt if i dont post on my tracker build for a week its still on the first page. Fact is there are only a hand full of true to form and function flat track bikes on this site. buuuut what ever you do with that bike, a set of pipes is a must and they quit giving those away a few weeks back. I say stuff the motor in a mid 80's rocket frame and have a bike that handles for once

xb33bsa said:
that bmw is a work of art
you couldnt give me that hunk of balloon tired shit. Its a bmw to boot so the motor will last but everything that makes the motor start,charge, run a headlight, or not burst in to flames, will quit working one after another. Pretty much jack off in your mouth real slow untill.... You sell it to the next shitten in high cotton, i just got a i.t. job ass wipe.

Every bike i set out to build is based on a knife fight in a phone booth! Not some turn of the centry, black and white, silent movie bull shit. i will alway listen to "war pigs" instead of "camp town races". i will alway watch john rambo instead of charlie chaplin. i would rather turn a key instead of a crank to start my truck.......and ill bet a fair amount of people in 1910 would agree given the same choices ( mainly camp town races vs war pigs). people need to stop making romance out of pain in the ass...it all story book UNTIIIILL YOU GOTTA GO OUT SIDE TO SHIT! those old bikes are important and kool to look at but lets face it a gt750 motor is as heavy as a school bus rear end and its water kooled. there is nothing about water kooled bikes that makes me think about wooden spoked car rims, calling a patch board or dropping dead ever time you get the flu. just try not to cover the fucking thing in brass plumbing parts or use aged leather and base ball glove stiching. people see right through that shit

Even if there are a lot, it just makes sense. The tracker look is functional and stylish. I think a v-twin is better suited for a board tracker look.

h1tweak2.jpg

Instead of antiquate it, modernize it.

K5KettleatChristams2007.jpg

Oh bradj I always wonder if daddy touched you too much or not enough. I'm a fan of criticism though, so I'll take it. But I do want to see a photo of your first build since the chopper was mine.

I like the look of those bikes, don't get me wrong. But I see mostly bolting on different forks, and subframe and body work, i know it's more difficult than that though . My desire is to completely rework something. I build only for myself and enjoyment and it don't need to get done quick to work on the next customer bike.

But I do agree with everyone that a board tracker on any level should be a skinny v-twin. I'm not sure it will look right either.

IMHO, the appeal of a board racer is that it is slim and basic. The emphasis is on slim though, and our porky Buffalo are lacking in slimness. They are also as heavy as all get out.

You can make it into a street tracker like mine and others. It takes work to get it to look right and to lose 100 pounds in the process, but it comes out OK.

I have three modified GT750 builds going on and the Trakka is having a triple bypass to open up the passageways for a little more oomph. One of those is a classic sixties cafe racer look with minimal modification to the frame. The second has a new subframe and monoshock rear end, etc. The third has modern suspension and heavily modified frame.

The BMW is very pretty but it's not really a motorcycle in any practical sense of the word. Between the clown shoes and ultra low riding position, it is essentially a rolling art work or show bike.

That Black K5 has extensive frame mods, but they are well disguised. I think that Filth has IZAX do his chassis mods and the latest was the Rizzla bike.

If I were to do another one, I'd make a new trellis frame for it and dump all the stock heavy chassis parts, or maybe a lightweight TR750 replica for the street with a CMR chassis kit. I need to win the lottery first though.

For a board racer, I'd start with a V twin. Starting with a GT750 is not going to work aesthetically - at least not easily or elegantly. Play to the bike's strengths.

Teazer thats a lot of gt750's. I guess like anything, they breed once you get 2 of them. I'm with you on the skinny board tracker. I thought it before, but still held hope I could make it work. Then studied the bike more and I just don't see it. I would still like to do a prewar style, just gotta look through some history books instead of internet for my research.

Bradj, I'm still trying to figure out how everyone does a seat without using leather or fuel lines without plumbing parts.

teazer said:
IMHO, the appeal of a board racer is that it is slim and basic. The emphasis is on slim though, and our porky Buffalo are lacking in slimness. They are also as heavy as all get out.

Play to the bike's strengths.

I totally agree with Teazer. That motor just doesn't work as a board racer. Another consideration is the pipes. They're fat and awkward and just won't "look the part" for that and other styles.

The flat tracker works, as do the other styles that suit that engine/exhaust configuration. 8)

Cool bike. Good luck! :D

I do want the bike to look like a 2-stroke triple with fat pipes stands out as unusual, but work well.

Joon-yah Bourelle said:
this is going to be interesting,lol. Good luck on this one!!!
hahaha I'm guilty of be interesting. Joonyah you can give me all the advice you want, even if I do to agree I'll listen. No need to wish me luck and walk away.

Haha,I like the idea of the tracker. Or since its water cooled,you could build a modernish race/sport bike style and only a trained eye would know what it is.

So, are you going to build this frame or just heavily modify the one you have?

I'm curious if it's going to be something you want to ride or are you just building it for the challenge?

Back
Top Bottom