81 CM400 Resurection

Re: 81 CM400 Resurection

BTW in case anyone was wondering, when the carbs were leaking some gas had spilled onto the engine case. Quite a bit actually and it sat on there for almost a full day. The duplicolor engine paint held up fine. No paint was removed when I wiped up the fuel. I didn't cure the paint, but it sat for a long time so it dried really well before anything got on it. Seems like really good stuff.

Bike is not running quite right on the left side. I think the carb is not totally clean. I am incredibly busy right now but I plan on doing the Pine Sol carb soak in a about a week. I'll post up some pics and let everyone know how it worked.

tsbigdog said:
BTW in case anyone was wondering, when the carbs were leaking some gas had spilled onto the engine case. Quite a bit actually and it sat on there for almost a full day. The duplicolor engine paint held up fine. No paint was removed when I wiped up the fuel. I didn't cure the paint, but it sat for a long time so it dried really well before anything got on it. Seems like really good stuff.

First time it happened to me I lucked out too....second time I wasn't as lucky....better avoided when ever possible.

Re: 81 CM400 Resurection - FINISHED!!!

Finally time to pop open a beer and relax. It's pretty much done. There are some things that I will probably do over the winter, but right now I'm just happy to be out riding. I put about 30 miles on it and it seems to run pretty good. There's still something not quite right with the carbs, but it does run fairly smooth. Just some popping on decel. I also have a small leak coming from the Goodrich banjo fitting on the master. I think I'm going to replace it with a straight connector anyway.

Nice to be back on a bike after 15 years. I have to say that the European bars with the stock foot peg location is a pretty comfortable compromise. You lean forward a decent amount and has a nice look to it, but your knees aren't banging against your elbows. This bike is a hell of a lot smoother than my XS was. There's very little vibration coming through for a parallel twin. BTW, for anyone that's interested in those shorty reverse cone mufflers, they are loud as a mother f'er. They aren't bad at idle, but once you get up in RPMs they are wicked. Don't get me wrong they sound great, but I just didn't think they would be that loud.

I took the MSF class Memorial day weekend to get re-acquainted with riding and it was a good investment. I felt a lot more comfortable just hopping on and going for a ride than I would have without it. Met some cool people too.

I would just like to say thanks to everyone who helped me out and gave assistance during this project. This site has been a great resource for help, ideas and motivation.

Here's some final pics outside for the first time in 10 years. 1st time on the road since 1991.

P6190856_zps4bb11d93.jpg

b0b29e42-e02b-44f8-9205-95fdb0541da6_zps5e00c97b.jpg

P6190854_zpsa524b9b8.jpg

d1eea6d2-0d70-4925-9df9-76414a14aa00_zpse73d6e41.jpg

Thanks Frank. Its no masterpiece, but it is fun to ride and I've already had several compliments on it. There's not much around here other than Harleys and Hyabusas.

Had my CM set up that way for a while after I first got it. Almost exactly, to the exhaust and all. But yours looks a lot nicer! I just tell everyone I'm going for the gritty cafe racer look on mine now. Lol

Hey Man, really like what you've done with that bike. I'm currently resurrecting a 1980 CM400 and I'll be super happy if I can get mine as nice as yours!

Thanks Funhog. These bikes are pretty easy to work on and there is plenty of ideas and info out here on the site. Good luck with your build.

Back
Top Bottom