1980 Yamaha SR250 - A Tracker named Mexico

Hi Milky, I rubbed it down with heavy grit paper to get rid of the rust pitting then I wet and dried it smooth. It doesn't get rid of all the chrome but does key it enough for the primer. Then I primed (two coats) and wet and dried it, building up the layers until all the small blemishes were gone (about four times). Then I did the same with the top coat (removing any slight orange peel). When I was happy that the top coat was perfectly smooth, I rubbed it down again with 1200 grit wet and dry (goes dull all over) and added two coats of clear. You may have a little orange peel in the lacquer, but this can be taken out with rubbing compound when it has had two weeks to harden. This all process is very time consuming, but will leave you with a very good finish.

Rub down to key and remove rust.
Two layers of primer, wait 24hrs and wet and dry - repeat until smooth. About four times
Two layers of top coat, wait 24hrs and wet and dry - repeat until smooth. About four times.
Wet and dry final coat of paint with 1200 wet and dry until perfectly smooth and dull.
Add any decals.
Add two layers of lacquer.
Wait two weeks and gently remove any slight orange peel with rubbing compound.

* Make sure you remove any orange peel between coats of primer and top coat. Orange peel does not cover and you cannot fill in the dips with more paint - it just gets worse.

* Should have mentioned that I did this with rattle cans.

Cheers Steve

thanks steve.. will start process tonight... elbow grease!

time management and concurrent activity.. thats the key... thanks again.

Carb cleaned and installed today, just the battery tray and wiring to complete. More pics soon.

tsbigdog said:
Steve,

If you search on this site, there's a guy that makes mounting brackets designed specifically for these batteries. He cuts them out of what looks like 3/16" steel using a water jet. The bracket slides down over the battery. It might help you with mounting.
Great build, well executed and documented. Did anyone locate the above mentioned builder of the Ballistic mounts? a brief search yields nothing.

No sorry mate I haven't. I'm making a tray out of sheet aluminium to go under my seat to house mine.

Not happy. While fitting the front brake cable today I managed to snap the adjuster bracket off the brake plate - bollox! However, I've managed to order one for £30 from a guy that is breaking an SR250. Bugger, just when I thought I'd finished polishing :(

Hi DesmoBro,

Here is the link to the Manuals and parts cataloge (I printed them off at work and put them in one folder): http://www.sr250exciter.com/tech/tech.html

Also, here is a link to a colour wiring diagram (best to print off in A3) http://www.cmelectronica.com.ar/wiring-diagram/imagenes/yamaha-sr250.jpg

Not yet. It's been a bit cold here to work on the bike, but I should have it finished soon. Will post pics.

Tell me about it! It's hard to get psyched up to spend a couple hours in a below 0 garage working on mine. I look forward to seeing the progress.

been a while since we chatted.. i've been organising this:

hope to see you there!

milk

Attachments

• 1 LONDON.jpg
    1 LONDON.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 2,214
Cheers Shafted, hope have it finished soon, I've been a bit lazy with the cold weather.

Should be back to working on the bike this weekend. I have to say that I love the way it's turning out. Can't wait to get on the road and show her off.

Attachments

• 14102012887 (1024x768).jpg
    14102012887 (1024x768).jpg
    586 KB · Views: 813
A few more pics, please ignore the headlight being sick, should be done soon. Will be knocking up a tray for the battery soon, fits nicely (hidden) under the seat.

Attachments

• DSCF1352 (1024x577).jpg
    DSCF1352 (1024x577).jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 374
  • DSCF1351 (1024x577).jpg
    DSCF1351 (1024x577).jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 353
  • DSCF1353 (1024x577).jpg
    DSCF1353 (1024x577).jpg
    468.9 KB · Views: 378
  • DSCF1356 (1024x577).jpg
    DSCF1356 (1024x577).jpg