Doing Some Homework - Cafe Racer Build

The smaller 400 / 500 / 550 are wet sump engines, they keep all their oil in the motor, so they don't have a separate oil tank to worry about. As I said earlier these 70's bikes are often in poor condition or over priced / over restored. It may not be easy to find the right bike, but they are out there, takes time to unearth the one you want.

From what you've said, I'd go for the 400 /4 Honda out of the options.. far more out there, cheaper spares and a lovely bike to boot. I restored one a couple of years ago, be happy to do another if the chance came up.

Bevelheadmhr said:
From what you've said, I'd go for the 400 /4 Honda out of the options.. far more out there, cheaper spares and a lovely bike to boot. I restored one a couple of years ago, be happy to do another if the chance came up.

While I am a huge fan of the 400Fs, There are more 550s out there -- longer production run, more made (AFAIK). The 400Fs were the rare ones that commanded big bucks, and to some extent they still are, although people are realizing the 350Fs had a short production run and are actually fewer in number (again, AFAIK). They're all pretty great, but in looking for a platform the wider you keep your search (350, 400, 550, maybe even 500F) the more likely you'll find a suitable platform.

Thanks for the input. For now I think I will keep my range at 400-550 range. This may well be a slow burner as so far, here in th u.k there doesn't seem an awful lot out there which isn't in a state or restored as an original and £4k plus

Karl740 said:
Tidy example. Other than engine size is the rest of the bike the same as it's bigger brothers? Frame, wheels etc
All the frames have differences, some subtle, and some significant. Not much difference in wheels, other than axles and spacers. Parts are very easy to come by for this bike, and a fairly clean, running example can be had for $500-$900 here in NJ. I paid $100 for mine, but it was left outside in the rain, uncovered since 1983. But it had 3500 miles on it, and ran when parked. It started on the 3rd kick when I got done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still looking for the right donor bike. I have been considering a BMW r80 to cafe. There are bolt on subframes suitable for monoshock around and the bikes seem more readily available in running conditions.

My question is, how hard are these bike to work on? and given the nature of the bike they have what I consider high milegae(40k+) are these engines reliable and somewhat bullet proof?

Karl740 said:
Still looking for the right donor bike. I have been considering a BMW r80 to cafe. There are bolt on subframes suitable for monoshock around and the bikes seem more readily available in running conditions.

My question is, how hard are these bike to work on? and given the nature of the bike they have what I consider high milegae(40k+) are these engines reliable and somewhat bullet proof?

Beemers, if taken care of, are good forever. I know guys with 90k+ miles, that have never had them apart. simple to work on and if you read history, were giving the early CB's fits for years at the track. Don't be afraid to look at the early toaster tanks (my personal favorites), I've owned early CB's and Beemers, I prefer the Beemer. Funny story, I was looking for valve shims for my Yamaha, they wanted $26 per shim. I bought them from BMW for about $3 per shim. BMW's are great bikes and have large support groups...

Karl740 said:

If you can get a BMW airhead, get it. You'll never regret a BMW. The R80 is a neat bike and well suited to just about any style you're keen on.

They're dead-easy to work on. Everything is out in the open. BMW has it's fair share of idiosyncrasies but no more than any other model and they will hold their value better than any Honda.

I have a 1975 BMW R75/6 myself and am just in the middle of it's first overhaul. I'm going overboard on the engine a bit, but in the 10 years I've owned it I've never touched the motor, so it's time. It's a bike I'll keep forever.

In contrast, I spent 4 years building a highly customized Yamaha XS650 cafe racer and have been riding it for 7 years. Built 2 motors for it, wired it from scratch myself, built it from the ground up. After all that, I just sold it. I know I can replace it easily and for the same or less than I just sold it for.

The BMW on the other hand is much more 'special' to me and is clearly much better engineered and manufactured. It's like two knives. One made in China from stamped steel, vs one forged in Germany. They'll both cut a tomato, but you'll feel better doing it with the German knife and it's an heirloom.

So go get the BMW.

Thought I'd add to this thread because my current project fits in a bit with your initial question....I've built a good few bikes for people but as already mentioned its a costly business so I'm looking into an alternative way to go about it...
My idea is to design a kit of parts, frame, tank, seat, fairings etc that uses all the parts from one donor bike....either the 650 Honda single, 500 twin or CBR/CB1 400....so that with the kit (which will cost a bit less than £3k) and a wise choice of donor bike someone should be able to put together something fairly interesting for around £6k....
Its some way from actually being available just yet but heres a few pics....

Attachments

• sr185.jpg
    sr185.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 180
  • sr196.jpg
    sr196.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 172
  • sr245.JPG
    sr245.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 689
  • sr256.JPG
    sr256.JPG