Ducati 748R Resto (DONE!)

Dale

Coast to Coast
My favorite bike that I've owned over the years was a 2001 Ducati 748R. When I first got it, I didn't really like it that much, but once I had learnt to ride it, there was nothing better.

I'm always on the lookout for cool and interesting bikes, so when this 2003 Anniversary Edition bike came up for sale, I let my emotion govern over logic, and bought the thing, even though it wasn't running. My guess is it was a race bike, (drilled sump plug) so it had a hard 12000 kms and the original body kit was almost brand new as a result.

The motor is in a sorry state. I've managed to find most of the replacement parts needed in the form of good used parts like rockers, valve cams, valves etc. New parts are head gaskets, big end bearings.

The one cylinder head was the original RS head, but the other was a normal 748 head. The standard 748 head is being re-machined and gas flowed to match the RS head.

Its generally in a sorry state considering its age, but its very well spec'd and its a limited edition run (the last 500) but the plan is to get it back to its former glory with a solid motor rebuild, general cleaning up, and a little bit of paint and care here and there...

748R_01_zpsf2fe725c.jpg

748R_02_zps9e898595.jpg

748R_04_zpsf49f7d32.jpg

748R_03_zpsef9a16f0.jpg

748R_id__zps1458e5d7.jpg

748R_Motor02_zps4b2242b9.jpg

748R_Motor01_zps9882be6f.jpg

748R_Motor03_zps6ba352a2.jpg

748R_bigends_zpsbf81b645.jpg

Re: Ducati 748R Resto

Is that bits of the belt or metal in the pic of the timing belt? I hope it is belt. Looks like work but will be a beaut when you finish if all your other builds are any indication.

Maritime, its frayed rubber from the belt that is about to end its days... (and bend valves etc).
Sweet JustinLonghorn.

Saturday morning. Woke up to pouring rain. Then at about 11 the sun came out and I got to do what Ive wanted to do all week.

De-grease. Rinse. Repeat. And then it was dark.

Dale_748R_RinseRepeat_01_zpsba54e852.jpg

Dale_748R_RinseRepeat_02_zps2c9541ef.jpg

The most work was on the swingarm.

Dale_748R_RinseRepeat_03_zps04bafbd5.jpg

Dale_748R_RinseRepeat_06_zpsc5faef2c.jpg

Dale_748R_RinseRepeat_04_zps87ad3246.jpg

Some carbon fibre pieces.

Dale_748R_RinseRepeat_05_zps6c93830f.jpg

I'm in this will be good and Ducks are always sexy running or not !!!!

Thanks guys! Appreciate the interest. But make no mistake, this ones gonna run! Got some new rubber today. ( 190/50/17 Pirelli Diablo Rosso II )

Dale_748R_RossoII_02.jpg

Dale_748R_RossoII.jpg

LOL What i ment was running or just sitting there they are sexy LOL

Dale said:
Maritime, its frayed rubber from the belt that is about to end its days... (and bend valves etc).
Sweet JustinLonghorn.

Yes, bikes with timeing belts need religious attention to change intervals lest you have that castatrophic failure and ruin many moving parts. Gl's are the same, break a belt, bend valves, crack pistons and have lots of fun rebuilding.

Brother I know how nice your work is so I can not wait to see her restored!

Oh man, I am on board with this one! I love the detailed engine rebuilding pictures - those bearings and the timing belt are rough - definition of "rode hard and put away wet", huh?

DreadRock said:
LOL What i ment was running or just sitting there they are sexy LOL

HA! Ok. :-D

Maritime said:
Yes, bikes with timeing belts need religious attention to change intervals lest you have that castatrophic failure and ruin many moving parts. Gl's are the same, break a belt, bend valves, crack pistons and have lots of fun rebuilding.

It's the achilles heel.

Check this:

IMG_4624-1.jpg

IMG_4639.jpg

That's why I've got bent valves...

joeyputt said:
Brother I know how nice your work is so I can not wait to see her restored!

Thats a real compliment coming from you Joe. Much appreciated. I'm a big fan of your work and your work ethic.

Worst cb650 ever said:
Oh man, I am on board with this one! I love the detailed engine rebuilding pictures - those bearings and the timing belt are rough - definition of "rode hard and put away wet", huh?

He he. You might say that!

O that looks good just cut off the fraid parts and throw it back on ::) You have a idea on what ate the belt up ?

Dale said:
That's why I've got bent valves...

Oh crap, so this bike has bent valves in addition to mismatched cylinder heads? Yikes! Well, here's your opportunity to upgrade to sodium filled titanium valves...

More cleaning over the weekend. Seems the belt rode up against the covers... (mmm?) Roughly done mod has sharp resin pieces, and definitely had something to do with tearing up the belts. But at the same time, they shouldn't be there up against the covers...
Belts need to be replaced every two years or 10 000 kms.

748R_timingbletcovers.jpg

And guess what? A 916 head gasket on the standard 748 head...

IMG_4626.jpg

More srub'n

748R_Cleaning.jpg

Throttle bodies nice and clean.

748R_ThrottleBodies.jpg

Chain guides took a bit of work.

748R_ChainGuide.jpg

748R_ChainGuide_02.jpg

Sweet project Dale! I'm growing envious of your bike collection.

Very cool Dale! Just picked up a 98 748s a month a go to work on over the winter.
She's a little rough around the edges!
5189F17A-D8F0-40B3-9DB3-E012FFE249FE-6151-000004B56F306A0C.jpg

I'll be tuning in!

Cool project... I love the 748's..... have always wanted one. Thanks for posting all the pics, will be watching with great interest!

Back
Top Bottom