bluing spokes

Just looked up the 2k stuff. that may be perfect, but it looks like it only comes in high gloss - I might be able to deal with it for only $20 though.

its what i used on my bare gas tank...turned out pretty amazing, i'm very happy with the 2k. I do, however, want to get me some of that gibbs...looks like some badass shite.

cheers.

Duracoat is ok. KG GunKote or Cerakote are much better. They come in different colors too.

What exactly are you wanting to do? You have normal nickel-plated spokes and you want to make them look blued, but with more corrosion-resistance?

You'll probably have to blast them or brush them to get rid of the smooth nickel, then coat with something else.

I'd look into gloss greys available in the products above. They are spray-on bake-on, will go on thinner than duracoat and cerakote is also much more abrasion resistant because it is a ceramic-based coating.

Por 15 makes a clear that goes directly over metal,chrome, aluminum etc. Its called glisten pc. I have used it for many apps. It works great.

http://www.por15.com/GLISTEN-PC/productinfo/GPCGG/

POR15 is supposed to be some of the toughest stuff around, I had no idea it came in clear- only knew about black. If the clear is the same as the black, you'd be hard-pressed to find something better in a brush-on application. I don't know how it compares to spray-on/bake-on, but it could be at least as tough.

I'm pretty sure it's a multi-part system.

yup its a 2 part system, fricken bulletproof. love the shit. You can even get it in transparent colors that can go over chrome. super cool, check it out! (no, I dont work for por 15) heh heh. I use it in my paintshop.

blueing is simple, lye saltpeter and heat to get a real pretty but very short lived finish.....but i wouldnt expect it to apply well to the metals used in the spokes, without first being blasted, which of course weakens the spoke. the cost to powdercoat a spoked wheel is little or no more than a rim alone. I know you said you were dead set against powder so.....moving on. I like duracoat, easy to apply, many colors tough. but other options are available. most notably aluminum that you can either have anodized or do it yourself (anodizing is fun). Im afraid if its a just for looks thing you want, you may end up having to pay. my local shop will do multiple colors on a spoked wheel, rim spokes and hub different colors....i would bet that with the right shop you can get that glassy blued steel look with powder. good luck, it sounds cool.....black rims with that kinda swirled glassy blue spokes. i originally was going to carbon wrap my rims and black my spokes but am going alloy instead, but you got me thinking of spokers again.

Back
Top Bottom