XS750 to XS896 big bore

Attachments

• xsr 900 bonneville -002.jpg
    xsr 900 bonneville -002.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 739
The first few coats of metallic silver are on and looking good.
2 more to go, I think. Then one clear before I try the red vinyl for the details.
Not sure why the photo has a purple hue, the colour match is very good to the original Yamaha Crystal Silver.

Attachments

• First coats.jpg
    First coats.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 189
I think I have said it before, but I really hate sorting out electricals. :'(
Especially when the PO just cut the loom in 2 spots where it heads up to the gauges and pilot box. ??? :-X :'(
I have manages to get the new Koso gauge fired up, but the only idiot light I have managed to nut out is the high beam.
The neutral and oil pressure rely on the earth circuit for the light being broken to turn the light off. But the Koso gauge needs power to be sent to the light and has a common earth!!! Any idea on how to get it to work? :-[

Attachments

• Loom.jpg
    Loom.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 201
You fit a relay in between, which you set up to trigger on ground and then simply switch plus over it. (Slight overkill, but electrically the easiest way.)

As you have seen my shed is at bursting point. Luckily my wife's cousin lives within walking distance and has agreed to me building a shed that I can store some toys = boat, caravan & motorbikes. The major issue is that I needed to fix up the storm water drainage. That meant digging a trench 30m long and 400mm deep to run a 90mm PVC pipe. That was my Saturday.
The fuel tank is coming along and the silver is really sparkling. The trick appears to be to do more light coats rather than a heavy coat. The original intent was to put the red detail on using vinyl wrap. Much easier on Youtube than for me being a novice trying to get it on without wrinkles. Think I am going to make up some masks and paint the red detail.
Spent Sunday afternoon sorting electrics. Turns out the neutral and oil pressure need a +/- signal not 12VDC. So I assume this means that the Yamaha earth switching will provide the required signal?? It has been working but not reliably, any one got any ideas??
The indicators are not working correctly either. I can get one indicator lighting up but not flashing and none of the others is working. I have the indicator cancelling unit attached but there is no input from the the speedo, could this be the problem? Can I just disconnect the cancelling unit?

Attachments

• 20170916_121711.jpg
    20170916_121711.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 1,003
DGR ride today, took the XS7502D, it went well until the last little bit. Started to jump out and back into 1st gear :-\ I have never heard of an issue with 1st gear?? 2nd gear, there is plenty of information. Any ideas???
Slab for the shed should get poured this week.
Started on the brakes, they have cleaned up well after half an hour in the ultra sonic cleaner.
Electricals are still giving me the shits! The tail light is constantly on once the ignition is turned on?? Indicators come on, but do not flash. When I swap the flasher relay into the 750 it works fine!! The indicators are aftermarket, so I am not sure if the resistance is wrong???
If anyone has any ideas, I would be grateful.

No, 1st should not jump out. Is the rest of the gears ok? Could be worn or loose detent plunger(easy) or worn gear selector scroll.

No, 1st should not jump out.
Dave, I totally agree with you! I am starting to change my theory after thinking about it some more. If it was jumping out of gear then it would just jump out and do nothing.
It is only happening when leaving the lights when there is maximum load up to get the bike going, once rolling and in higher gears it is working OK. It is a real "bang" out and in, without me needing to re-engage the gear!!
I am starting to suspect it might be a failed or failing compression spring (item 43) for the transmission drive cam (items 40 & 41). Once again I have never heard of a failure in these parts???
If it is, then it is much easier to fix as I just need to remove the final drive. But it can wait, as I don't need a distraction to delay getting the 896 finished.
Any other thoughts or theories appreciated.

Attachments

• Slipdog.JPG
    Slipdog.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 728
Jumping out and then back in any gear is a problem of dog engagement. That could be from a worn or bent shift fork or worn dogs on that pair of gears. More common on 2nd or 3rd which get more use, but can happen on any gear pair.

Jumping out and then back in any gear is a problem of dog engagement
Yes agree with you. I stripped the engine and transmission completely less than 1000Km ago and fixed an issue with 2nd gear jumping out. That was caused by the circlip on the layshaft that controls 2nd gear thrust being pushed up and out of its groove. That was fixed with a new circlip and assembled with the pressure radius on the circlip facing the gear. At the time I checked the shift forks and selector scroll and they were perfect with no visible wear.
I have a spare set of gearbox internals, so I am ok for parts. As with most of us, I am just lacking time!!!! The failure mode did not feel or sound like the gear dogs, but time will tell.

XS750AU said:
Dave, I totally agree with you! I am starting to change my theory after thinking about it some more. If it was jumping out of gear then it would just jump out and do nothing.
It is only happening when leaving the lights when there is maximum load up to get the bike going, once rolling and in higher gears it is working OK. It is a real "bang" out and in, without me needing to re-engage the gear!!
I am starting to suspect it might be a failed or failing compression spring (item 43) for the transmission drive cam (items 40 & 41). Once again I have never heard of a failure in these parts???
If it is, then it is much easier to fix as I just need to remove the final drive. But it can wait, as I don't need a distraction to delay getting the 896 finished.
Any other thoughts or theories appreciated.
You may have something there..i recall using the later, solid unsprung version in my middle drive. Probably changed the design for some reason.

i recall using the later, solid unsprung version in my middle drive
Hi Dave - was you bike an 850 or a 750 to start??
The 850 does not appear to have the transmission cam.

Oh Shit!!!! Got to sand it back again!!!!! :-[
My fault - I left the tank with the base silver for a week, and then put the last coat of silver on (rubbed with Prepsol but should have given a light sand). :'(
I then put a clear coat before masking for the red patch.
When pealing the mask off, it has lifted the clear and last coat of silver :mad:
I have enough paint, I have 1200 wet sanding paper, now it is just time!!!
I have certainly learnt from the experience.

Attachments

• 20171004_122552.jpg
    20171004_122552.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 217
XS750AU said:
Hi Dave - was you bike an 850 or a 750 to start??
The 850 does not appear to have the transmission cam.
Mine was a 1978 750, though it came with a pile of parts for originally 3 engines. Late 750's also got rid of that thing i think. Although i have a bunch of springs and cams left over if you just wanna change the parts.

Thanks Dave
I have ordered a NOS spring, but I will wait and see what the damage is before I get any other parts. As I said, it can wait until I have the 896 finished.

Back
Top Bottom