New Rider.. Direction Appreciated !

Luugo86

'73 CB350, '78 XS650 Cafe Killer
Cheers everyone, just picked up a '75CB200T cafe racer... have been wanting one for a long time. Main question is this: Are there any resources in particular you fellas could point me to for engine performance parts for my bike. Cams, Cylinder heads, bore kits, hi-po ignition, nitrous kits... things like that.. ive heard they exist, just having a bugger of a time finding them. Once again Cheers and thank you !

for the 200 and the 250, the largest pistons i could find were 1mm over.. anything else, you'd have to order custom. i would recommend wiseco.

Sure thing man. Here are a few pics.. They were taken in poor light with my crap-ass paper-weight phone lol... but at least you have an idea.. I will definitely post more. The bike isnt finished yet, still have a lot of work I wanna do with it ;]

P.S. The side box in the one pic is a frame mounted 'hard saddle-bag' made from an old 1950s 45 vinyl record holder. Perfect size to fit a 6-pack in there

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 175
  • image_2.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 186
You won't find a lot of aftermarket support for the 200s. Unfortunately, the 175 is a better engine and so most folks choose to put their money into those, instead. Most of what you end up doing is going to be custom work.

I'm pretty sure Arias can sort out your pistons.
Megacycle has a couple of grinds for your cam and I'd be willing to bet the R-D can do the springs.
Valves may need to be custom made (I know a company in RSA, if you're interested).
Not sure about ignitions, though.

Forget the engine mods. First thing, get it running as well as you can - make sure it has good compression etc.

The most important improvements you can make to the bike which will speed it up are in the suspension, brakes, tires, steering bearings, swingarm bushings etc. Nothing to do with the engine. Removing weight is easier and cheaper than making horsepower. Braking later into a corner is easier than accelerating faster out of the corner. Get my drift? :)

So start by updating the suspension, some fresh brake pads, stainless brake lines, tapered steering bearings, bronze swingarm bushings, remove the sewing machine case from the side, maybe a 2 into 1 exhaust (mufflers are heavy), put some rearsets on that thing, some clubman bars or better, clipons (lighter) etc. Don't sweat the engine, especially if it runs well.

So not even a chance for some more hi-po carbs/air cleaners, intake, cams.. that sort of thing ? Didnt think those things would be too radical, would be surprised if there is no opportunity for any of that on my 200t

Tim, thanks for the wisdom man. The bike runs solid as a rock man. 6k original miles and I have all new wiring, hoses, fluids, gaskets, bushings on it. Its a clean machine. And I get what ur saying. I got the brakes, and lines done already the way you recommended, and it has new avon rubber. I was gonna tweak the suspension and just go with a header w/ baffle setup for exhaust... much appreciate the wisdom guys.. Cheers and keep it coming !

Sonreir, thanks mate. Much appreciated.. I would be interested in any other info you have, send a PM if you want. Cheers!

Spend the money on the suspension first. A nice set of Hagons will be better bang for the buck than any engine mods.

RD Valve Springs - http://www.rdvalvespring.com/ Call these guys. They have a ton more than what's listed on their web site.
Megacycle Cam's catalog - http://www.megacyclecams.com/catalog/index.pdf
Arias Pistons - http://www.ariaspistons.com/ Call them, too. Mike is the guy that handles bike stuff and he's really good to work with. Turnaround time can be over a month though. Order early.
Steve's Auto Clinic - http://www.steves.co.za/Performance_Custom_valves.html These guys will custom make valves and I was looking at them before I sprung for the Kibbleshites (I don't think Kibblewhite does valves for the 200 unless those valves are the same part number as another bike?), but they're not cheap. Probably close to $100 per valve.

Sonreir, thanks again man.. Your wisdom is much appreciated.. Ive looked online for 3 days straight and was unable to find anything like these great referrences that you have provided... Cheers man..

... Also, any input on the bike ? The bars are getting changed, and so is the exhaust.. also gonna delete the airbox. But it runs like a champ, and is as clean as they come.. the gauges are Nippon Japanese gauges, the rear tail-light is the case/bezel from an old GE factory steam pressure gauge with red LED ran into it, the muffler can below the carbs is an old martini shaker and the saddlebag is a stamped aluminum 45 Vinyl record case from the 50's ... Input and constructive criticism always welcome. Cheers all.

Here are some pics I took tonight after a great night wrenching in the garage with my pretty little lady, good tunes, and a cold brew. Cheers!

Attachments

• Our New Life Together 342.JPG
    Our New Life Together 342.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 166
One more .. Think Imma name her after my little lady -- Jenna

Attachments

• Our New Life Together 337.JPG
    Our New Life Together 337.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 168
Sonreir said:
You won't find a lot of aftermarket support for the 200s. Unfortunately, the 175 is a better engine and so most folks choose to put their money into those, instead.
Sonreir thanks for the Motörhead bible http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39814.0
So the 175 generates 3 HP than the 200, bettèr cam? Better carbs for sure, what else makes it better?...I have my eye on one for engine numbèr 2

Back
Top Bottom