www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: CB360's-from build to blog - 2013, MDS (Mo Dumb Shit)  (Read 267197 times)

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
Weather has cooled down enough for me to get something done.
 Got several large boxes of bits.
Will post pics later (after I take some  ;D )
 see how far I can get over weekend ? (if anyone is interested?)

PJ
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2013, 23:11:33 by crazypj »
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
I gave my girlfriend an orgasm the other night, but, she spat it back at me
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it  (Terry Pratchett)
CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline tWistedWheelz

• BUILT NOT BOUGHT!
Re: Yet another CB360 ( or two?)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2009, 18:32:28 »
why hell yes I am interested! Don't forget the pics, I can't read! ;D

Offline crazypj

« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2009, 18:54:54 »
Some pics  ;D

1. completely stripped down engine, needs cleaning, lot of dust in there

2. CB378 I've been using to sort out carburatiuon

3. 2mm oversize pistons. Cylinder has been bored but not honed to size

4. eBay stuff. Suzuki forks, XS650 rear wheel, XS650 rear rim. I'm waiting for spoke set from Thailand.
 going to strip wheel for rim and get a WM4 from Buchanan's sometime to rebuild it

5. Genuine Koni alloy body rear shocks, not the same as IKON

Haven't found transmission yet, have to look in more boxes  :D
 Will probably be working on the XS800 'bratbob' if I can find time, been a while since I looked at it

PJ

« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2010, 23:49:49 by crazypj »
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it  (Terry Pratchett)

Offline forcefanajd

« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2009, 19:01:05 »
COOL!!  those engine parts look like they are in fantastic condition

Offline dcmspikes

« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2009, 20:07:35 »
cant wait to see what you put together

Offline mysta2

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2009, 20:17:53 »
Is your 360 (378?) thread still up on Total Motorcycle... I was searching for it the other day and having no luck

...that was you wasn't it?

Offline crazypj

« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2009, 23:33:29 »
Is your 360 (378?) thread still up on Total Motorcycle... I was searching for it the other day and having no luck

...that was you wasn't it?

It was probably me, I don't remember posting it though  ::)
It would be the bike in picture number two at top.
 That has ported head and overbore to 378cc.
I didn't look at bottom end which is probably why clutch started slipping during dyno runs..
I have a new clutch for it (eBay) and two sets of heavy duty clutch springs. (as I always intended to do a second one when I got frame wih title)
This is all new, starting Friday 6th November 2009, anything I worked on previously is being mentioned (like cover in last pic of this update)
I want to see how far I can get with this in about 48hrs.

Heres some more pics of transmission being assembled

This shift fork fits onto drum. Drum has to be fitted into case while you fit it. The 'bolt' has two jobs, locates shift drum and also holds it in neutral by means of spring and ball bearing

shift drum sitting on case

you can see top of 'R' clip that holds pin which locates shift fork on drum. It was a right pain to fit

Shift drum and shift forks fitted to case

what it looks like with transmission and crank installed into upper case half.
 Make sure you fit cam chain to crank before fitting crank to case  ;D.
 there is a 'horseshoe' which pivots on pin  for cam chain tensioner, slot visible to left of crank

I turned back of generator rotor, not using electric start on this motor so all the parts are removed.
It should help the oil fly off?
Forgot to take pic of bottom end assembled, will ahve to do it tomorrow. Will try to get pics of honing cylinder but its a bit messy to do properly with only half the equipment ( got the important bit, AMMCO hone)
 With care and taking my time a bit,  I can get to within two tenthousandths of inch of perfect size

Here's sprocket cover/clutch mechanism lifter I modified a while ago, not sure if i should finish polishing it or just paint the damn thing?

all for now

PJ
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2009, 06:56:05 by crazypj »

Offline mysta2

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2009, 15:32:14 »

Here's sprocket cover/clutch mechanism lifter I modified a while ago, not sure if i should finish polishing it or just paint the damn thing?

Wholly hell, I was going to do that to my next bike and I couldn't remember where I got the Idea... but yup, it was you. Could that have possibly had anything to do with the clutch slipping? Was it on the test bike like that?

I found the post that I was looking for scattered throughout Total Motorcycle, Sohc, and the honda twins site. I've been chasing you all over the net. Did you know that no matter what i use to search, the only solid info on modding a 360 leads to a post by you. Other than that bespoke frame thing with 450 pistons (something like that) but that page has little substance.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=26650&highlight=360

Offline crazypj

« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2009, 21:02:12 »
Hi Mysta2, I'm probably the only person crazy enough to modify these things on a 'regular' basis.
 It was never a very popular engine (as 250 or 360) and did have some major top end issuse's.
I havent used the carved up cover yet but it would cause clutch drag not slipping. (if was too flexible)
 I left the webs in it at full depth so it should be just about as ridgid as stock.
 Anyway, things didnt go according to plan ( do they ever?  ::))
 I did some of the least favorite stuff, masked up bottom end and painted it silver (which I'm not very good at, particularly as shed has no lights)
 Heres some pics from today.

My very least favorite job, masking ( anything)

cylinder bore gauge, pistons and micrometer

settting gauge to piston size plus required clearance (0.0015")

Measuring cylinder after boring, its still rough and undersize by 22 ten-thousandths of inch (0.0022")

Bore gauge showing 0.0013", it should show 0.0022" but I wiggled it slightly and 'lost' nine ten-thousandths of inch  :o

very basic set up, bench vice, AMMCO hone, variable speed power drill. I really should make a tank with all the motors i'm playing with

honed to size, (actually, I went 0.0001" over so i have 0.0016"-sixteen ten-thousandths clearance  ;))
 Used 320 grit stones so finish is very smooth. cross hatch is a little 'flat' but perfectly usable

I modified another clutch hub and loosely fitted heavy duty springs  (mainly so I can find them tomorrow  ;D)
 I skimmed the cylinder head as well, was hoping to finish porting and make battery box but that didn't happen ( didnt mow the lawns either  ;D)
 Had to come back in and edit multiple times as I postd some pictures wrong

PJ

« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2009, 21:09:09 by crazypj »

Offline dcmspikes

« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2009, 21:55:55 »
would you try to take some good pics of the porting?  before and after.  im interested to see how much material you remove and from where.  thanks for the progress so far