www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Japan Meets Britain...  (Read 80548 times)

Offline Vince Lupo

• Ridden Not Trailered!
    • Direction One, Inc.
Re: Japan Meets Britain...
« Reply #30 on: Jul 08, 2008, 06:01:14 »
The horn is an 'Altette' style horn that's made in Italy by who knows.  I thought it was a bit big too when I pulled it out of the box (plus it's quite heavy), but seeing it on the bike it actually looks okay - it's down low and seems to blend in with the engine a bit.  Plus you can actually hear the thing -- heck, I can even hear it on the bike, for that matter.  The previous one was a 'universal' vented chrome horn from British Cycle Supply, and while this isn't a jab at them at all, the horn is pretty anemic.  No amount of tuning could get that sucker to make any kind of noise that an SUV driver yakking on a cell phone and drinking their mochaccino half caf would be able to hear.  I didn't find the stock one to be much better than that. 

Offline ROne

• '78 CX500 Cafe Racer
    • A little more about me.
« Reply #31 on: Jul 10, 2008, 18:38:06 »
Man, that is an awesome little rocket. I can't believe you have done the 'Ton' on that without shitting yourself....hahaha.  It looks great though, does rev to hard on the freeway?

ROne
Ride it like you borrowed it from ya Grandma!

Offline NJWanker

« Reply #32 on: Jul 11, 2008, 02:07:32 »
Man, that is an awesome little rocket. I can't believe you have done the 'Ton' on that without shitting yourself....hahaha.  It looks great though, does rev to hard on the freeway?

ROne
  Awesome ?!!  How about some pics of that CX500 Cafe .  I've never seen a cafed CX500 look that good.   I need to see that .
I is what I is .

Offline Vince Lupo

• Ridden Not Trailered!
    • Direction One, Inc.
« Reply #33 on: Jul 11, 2008, 04:24:05 »
In top gear (4th) it's revving about 6000 at 65 mph, which is quite comfortable for this bike.  The 'ton' takes it up to about 9500rpm, and it takes a while to get there.  I've only pushed it that far once, and that was before the addition of my K&N's and different slides in the Amals (2 1/2 vs. 3).  I don't feel the need to do it again because I don't want to push the engine to those limits. 

I have a copy of a Cycle Magazine road test from 1965, and they managed to get a stock 305 up to 105 mph.
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2008, 04:25:56 by Vince Lupo »

Offline Vince Lupo

• Ridden Not Trailered!
    • Direction One, Inc.
« Reply #34 on: Aug 12, 2008, 14:19:08 »
One final touch before the White Rose / VJMC show in Jefferson, PA this weekend.  Thought that the bike needed a bit more Norton (damn that pesky Norton!), so I added a pair of seat knobs from a Commando to the upper shock mounts, and moved the acorn nuts to the lower mounts.  Retapping of the threads was required, but it was no big deal.

Done!

« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2008, 14:25:31 by Vince Lupo »

Offline ROne

• '78 CX500 Cafe Racer
    • A little more about me.
« Reply #35 on: Aug 13, 2008, 19:00:49 »
Hey NJ.........

Thanks for the comments man.....yeah, I'm really gettin' to like the CX now.  Here is a couple of recent photos taken last weekend, I just bought my sell a reasonably priced 2nd CX as a parts bike, it's a 1980 model.  It's interesting to see the visual difference in a stock bike as opposed to my '78 Cafe.

Cheers,
ROne

Ride it like you borrowed it from ya Grandma!

Offline NJWanker

« Reply #36 on: Aug 14, 2008, 23:25:42 »
   That CX is the tits !  Well done !
I is what I is .

Offline CaTacl1sm

• hope your clubmans don't hit your tank
    • my last.fm channel
« Reply #37 on: Aug 15, 2008, 01:15:51 »
def diggin the headlight setup.

is it just me or does your headlight seem smaller... 
OCS bound Jan 26th

Offline Vince Lupo

• Ridden Not Trailered!
    • Direction One, Inc.
« Reply #38 on: Aug 15, 2008, 13:09:29 »
I like the wheels you have going - they look like Dymags, but I'm assuming they're painted Comstars?

I was reading about the Moto Guzzi V50 in this month's Motorcycle Classics Magazine, and they said that the CX500's dry weight is almost 90 lbs more than the V50 -- where do you think all that extra weight is?

Offline CaTacl1sm

• hope your clubmans don't hit your tank
    • my last.fm channel
« Reply #39 on: Aug 15, 2008, 13:45:39 »
I like the wheels you have going - they look like Dymags, but I'm assuming they're painted Comstars?

I was reading about the Moto Guzzi V50 in this month's Motorcycle Classics Magazine, and they said that the CX500's dry weight is almost 90 lbs more than the V50 -- where do you think all that extra weight is?

its all in the thighs...

but srsly, on my cx500 i took off my centerstand, exhaust h-box, seat, rear fender, rear grab bar and a bunch of other stuff...
theres a lot of just extra stuff on the cx that is really not needed.  i need to find a scale so i can weigh my bike
OCS bound Jan 26th