www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 76 KZ400 "Grimy"  (Read 20927 times)

Offline diggerdanh

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: 76 KZ400 "Grimy"
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2012, 00:55:37 »
Thanks, Spitfire. I know the stock carbs are very particular and difficult to get setup properly with anything other than the stock airbox but I'm hoping the VM30s will be a lot simpler. I'm working with cardboard at the moment to mock up the battery/electrics tray. It will similar to veaone's. I'll be happy if it looks half as good as his does. 

Offline gk45011

« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2012, 23:45:13 »
Dan,
 Had to look up what you were working on after talking earlier. Beautiful rebuild so far. The new tank looks mucho better than the green in my humble opinion. You going to leave it or do you have a revised color scheme in mind? I'm digging it the way it is.
 Let me know if the VM carb upgrade is everything they say it is. My BS34 could use an upgrade and I have heard the VM are much smoother and more responsive.

GK
GK
GS 450L Build thread
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39199.0 -SOLD

83 GS1100E = under repair and minor modification

"Cut, shape, grind, repeat. I may not know what I'm doing but I'm enjoying myself." - Rich Ard

Offline diggerdanh

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #22 on: Dec 31, 2012, 00:31:14 »
Thanks, Gary.

It will be a little bit before I get it started up with the Mikunis but based on my research the factory jetting should be close to what I need though the mains are probably too high.

Of course nothing is simple. Going with the pods requires removing the factory airbox and I want to move the battery and the electronics. That leads me to building a tray. My AGM battery is still quite big and takes up much of the space available in the tray. But a nice 8-cell Ballistic would take up much less room. And to run one of those I need a new regulator/rectifier from Oregon Motorcycles or Rick's Electric. Luckily Santa and family gave me some cash so I should be ordering those things soon as well as a couple of other odds and ends.

Since I don't have a welder and don't know how to weld if I did have one, I started looking for a material that I could work with for the battery/electronics tray. I went with a different type of material - a poly-plastic, basically a $10 plastic cutting board from Walmart, which can be cut with a hacksaw or a dremel and can be assembled with a few screws and plastic epoxy. I mocked it up with cardboard first to get the sizes of the pieces that I need and assembled it over the last couple of days. I just finished cleaning up the edges, sanding it and priming it. Next I need to apply some bondo to fill in the seams and then I'll probably spray it with a wrinkle or hammer-type matte black. Here is a pic after assembly and before sanding and priming. It will snug up inside the top frame rails under the seat and attach with a couple of bolts or maybe a couple of those clamps with the rubber like you used. It's actually very strong - I can turn it over and stand on it.

I'll be ordering the new battery and rectifier/regulator soon and then I can start re-assembling and then getting the carbs and filters on.

Offline gk45011

« Reply #23 on: Dec 31, 2012, 00:42:17 »
 Using the poly-plastic is bad ass and should be fairly light as well. I wish I had thought of that before doing the aluminum angle battery box I fabbed. It is going to look super clean when completed. I am suprised it came out so rigid. Keep this updated, I wanna see how it turns out.

GK
GK
GS 450L Build thread

"Cut, shape, grind, repeat. I may not know what I'm doing but I'm enjoying myself." - Rich Ard

Offline diggerdanh

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #24 on: Jan 01, 2013, 17:14:46 »
The electronics tray has been primed and I applied some bondo to fill the seams. I just finished a rough sand to knock down the high spots. I just need to apply a skim coat and and finish sanding. It's starting to come together.

A Ballistic 8-cell battery has been ordered as well as the Rick's Electrics Regulator/Rectifier combo in addition to a nice little catch can/breather for the crankcase ventilation hose, the same thing that Kiley used on Gretta.

Offline diggerdanh

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2013, 15:47:35 »
New parts are in!

A comparison vs. my current AGM battery. About half the size and only weighs about 1-1/2 lbs.

I just put what is hopefully the last coat of paint on the battery/electronics box. So hopefully I can start putting everything back together tomorrow.

Offline diggerdanh

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2013, 02:38:23 »
Finally got the battery/electronics box painted well enough and found some time to get out in the garage this evening. I took the angle grinder to some of my factory tabs for the first time. I cut off the little tabs that hold on the inner rear fender. You can just see some of the shiny newly exposed steel under the tray in the first pic. There will be more of that to come in the near future. Next will be the mounts for the airbox so they don't interfere with the K&N filters and then all the side cover mounts that will no longer be needed. Then I was finally able to put the electronics tray in place and get it mounted up. After that I started untangling and labeling the rats nest of wires so I can start putting stuff back together in an organized fashion.

Please excuse the crappy cell phone pics, it was pretty dark in the garage so they didn't turn out too well.

The box was a really tight fit. I used some rubber insulated clamps (P-clamps I think they're called) to mount the box to the frame, 2 on each side and one on the back. It's in there really good and very sturdy.

Luckily the Ballistic battery will stand up in the tray so that should leave me with plenty of room for everything else: fuse block, solenoid, relay, flasher and wires. I'm not sure where I'll mount the regulator/rectifier yet. Thinking either bolted under the tray or bolted to the back of the tray - in the open area to the right of the seat lock in the below pic (actually N-NW of the seat lock in that pic).

Next I'll start organizing the wires, trimming or lengthening where necessary, and find a place for everything in the tray.

Offline diggerdanh

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2013, 15:47:04 »
I posted my initial impressions / experience with the Rick's Motorsport Electrics regulator/rectifier combo on the KZ twins site and rather than repeat it here I'll just link to it so you can read it there if you are interested: http://www.armbell.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19482&mforum=kz400

Short story: looks like a good quality product. Most everything connects right to the factory harness. The only small issue I had was that the 3 yellow wires that connect from the rectifier to the factory harness had male bullet connectors and they should have been female blade connectors. No big deal. Rather than cut them off and add different connectors, I just made a little adapter harness.

And here's a pic of the regulator/rectifier:

Offline gk45011

« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2013, 17:07:46 »
Looking killer. i like the changes so far. "Now that you cut it it's yours".

Looking forward to seeing it completed this spring.

GK
GK
GS 450L Build thread

Offline diggerdanh

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2013, 17:45:42 »
Thanks, Gary. This spring - yes, me too. I should have this job wrapped up in a week or two at my slow pace. The challenge will be avoiding doing a front end swap and/or swingarm swap in the spare time before riding weather gets here. Now if someone would just buy that GSXR 750 that's being parted out on Craigslist so I wouldn't consider buying the front end. There was a guy a month or so back getting rid of a 250 Ninja with no title for $150. Luckily he never replied to my emails. :)