www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Staffy's CX500 Bobber - 15 June - Headlight mounted and new video.  (Read 7731 times)

Offline Staffy

• It's not yours 'til you cut it up.
I bought this bike a few weeks back from a local CX owner who's also a member of the Aussie CX site and and Do the ton using the name Rat-cx.  Some may even remember this bike over the last couple of years.  Interestingly when I was first looking at CX's a few years back this one came up on ebay but I missed the chance to get it and bought a different bike.  Rat-cx bought it and got it to the point you see here and now I've taken ownership of it anyway  ;)

I still don't know what I'm gonna do with this bike.  I took it out for fuel the other day and had a ball as it is but the clubmans aren't good for my back.  Could that seat and tank work with dragbars... maybe, maybe not....
The engine through those harley pipes sounds bloody great.

So I'll see what happens and like the other build I'll probably change my mind over the next year or three before I decide what to do.  A lot of what happens will depend on my back's requirements, usability as a daily scoot in summer, financial cost, and local laws (such as the need to have a rear guard and the number plate centred).

The only change I've made so far is to fit the Nissin remote reservoir master which is a fantastic bit of kit.  That with the braided lines and stock calipers is plenty good braking for this bike.

So here's some pictures of the bike.

And after I took off the radiator surround and dropped the bike's weight be about 127kgs....

I've already tried fitting up a Shadow (AKA Deluxe) tank but don't think it works with the seat.

« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2013, 08:07:08 by Staffy »

Offline Bozz

• not nearly cool enough website
Re: Staffy's CX500 cafe project
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2013, 10:35:42 »
actually, I dig the deluxe tank with that tail better than the custom tank.

The custom tank always looks a little too cruiser to me.

looks like a fun ride either way!

Enjoy
Cheers!
-Bozz

(All opinions worth less than you paid for them!)

05 FZ6 - 99 ZRX1100 - 93 GSXR750 - 82 GL500 - 78 GL1000 - 77 KZ900 - 77 CX500 - 60 R60

Offline john83

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2013, 12:57:40 »
Cool!

Offline slots

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2013, 16:09:42 »
The deluxe tank looks so much better.

Offline Staffy

Re: Staffy's CX500 Bobber project
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 18:27:33 »
Well, it's not going to be a cafe any more.

In the early days after I bought my first CX I dropped the back end to see how it would look.  I've wanted to build a bobber ever since but I really wanted to build a daily rider first.  I'd also like to build a scrambles type bike so it was always going to be a toss up with where I went with this.  I guess it's the custom tank and rear wheel already bolted on that made my decision for me.

After a bit of chin wagging with a couple of mates the other day the question we had to answer was how would it look with the back end lower:

So with the decision that it looked fairly smashing I took the grinder to the frame and front guard and shifted the guard the rear:

The piece of box tube is temporary but is drilled to 10.5 inches eye to eye which is the free length of the shocks I'll be using.  They'll be set to a high preload to keep the back end fairly tight and hopefully prevent guards from hitting backsides    Of course I'll be crossing that bridge carefully 

At the end of the afternoon there was quite a bit of weight loss....

With the seat/rag mocked up I'm pretty happy with the way it sits.  Those bars will be going on the shelf and I'll be sourcing something a little higher.

This is hopefully going to be a short, fun and cheap build so I'll be trying to use as much second hand stuff as I can.  The rear guard isn't long enough so I'll need to figure out something there.  It'll need to go from the place it sits just above the pumpkin level all the way round to the swingarm so I may need to get creative with the welder and some old guards off some other model bike.

I'm getting excited   

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 22:27:39 »
Nice Paul.  I'm in,  bobbing one now too.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cookie

• God help the child who grows out of everything
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 08:22:15 »
I've got a 1" drag bar, risers and a solo seat that came off my bobbed GR650 if you want them.

Yours if you pay shipping from Canada
* Insert something witty here *

81 CB750C
84 Tempter - well, most of it...

Offline Staffy

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 10:20:12 »
Thanks for the offer but I'll be building a seat from scratch. The bar will be 7/8 as well as I already have a good idea what switches I'll be using. Thanks for the offer though, I appreciate it.

Offline Staffy

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 03:12:41 »
I'm feeling terribly woolly today but decided to have a little more of a think and tinker.

I'm starting to go off the idea of shortened shocks as that presents a problem with seats clashing with moving rear wheels etc...  

So I'm thinking of going for a rigid rear with a sprung seat.  This affords me the chance to mount everything on the back how I like without having these fouling issues.  I won't be using bars to the mount points as is traditionally done either as I'd like to do away with the shock and exhaust mounting gussets and leave the rear hoops clean.  I have a cunning plan....  

So here's how it looked the other day:

Today I flipped the bars over and as I thought they look fantastic.  They are exactly what I wanted in a bar so there's no need for me to buy new ones.  That's a plus.  Here's how it finished the day - dropped 11cm from standard height with the centre stand removed and the bars flipped: